Mod monsters on the Keenwiki

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Nospike wrote:Finding out what the monsters do for yourself is part of the fun.
But I believe one of the functions of the wiki is to have a knowledge base. If you want to find out what monsters do yourself you can always play the mod without memorizing the wiki data in advance.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

OMG I'm doubleposting myself, but yeah it was 10 days ago

Based on what Benvolio did with his mod I made my suggestion of the item list:
http://www.shikadi.net/keenwiki/Kidnapped_Keen#Items

Main points I raise:
1. Item pictures should be in double size (2x2 pixels)
2. The pictures should be centered like the text in the other columns
3. The Name column can have a description too if needed (as Malv pointed out earlier nobody would sort by description I guess), but the name should be in bold.
4. I renamed the 'Value' column into 'Effect' because some items don't give points.
5. I like the idea of the notes column so I kept it so far, but not really sure how often we will have notes on items.

Any suggestions and/or disagreements from you guys?
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

Woohoo Kidnapped Keen, definitely among my top 10 mods! Anyway, I agree with all of this, especially the doubling of size. And perhaps, to reduce clutter, notes should be included/excluded on a case-by-case basis.
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

Looks good! I agree with everything Benvolio said. Also, I'm looking at that page and realize I'm not sure I've ever played Kidnapped Keen before. Another thing to do when I have the time to...
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

I just figured out how to fullscreen DosBox without things messing up, I'm going through the mods again.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

Levellass wrote:I just figured out how to fullscreen DosBox without things messing up, I'm going through the mods again.
I know this is off topic, but, HOW?!
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

What happens to you guys when you go fullscreen? When I press ALT+ENTER it goes black for maybe 10 seconds, but nothing gets messed up for me. Sure you can go fullscreen before even running the game! I'm on Win7 though, maybe it's different on other platforms!
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

With some games the graphics get messed up for me, like Tunneler (awesome game!) for example. I used to have trouble with Keen palettes in fullscreen too, but Botafloria works just fine and I can play the other mods windowed.
NY00123
Vorticon Elite

Post by NY00123 »

I don't recall much of these troubles. Maybe it comes to the output setting?

Also, some fullscreen resolutions may be unsupported on certain setups, so it's better to set the value for the fullresolution setting to 0x0 or desktop, in order to force desktop resolution.

Note that if you're running DOSBox on a platform differing from Windows, then fullresolution=0x0 (or fullresolution=desktop) will fail, unless you grab a recent SVN build of DOSBox (should be much newer than v0.74).

EDIT: Ah, before I forget: The above page on the KeenWiki surely looks good in its current form! It will probably have *some* effect on the decision for the way a table template should look, I think.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Keening_Product wrote:
Levellass wrote:I just figured out how to fullscreen DosBox without things messing up, I'm going through the mods again.
I know this is off topic, but, HOW?!
Open up your DOSBox options file and find the option titled "fulldouble" using Ctrl+F.

This option is probably set to "false" and you'll need to change it to "true".

Hurrah!
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.