KRON WIP

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
guynietoren
Vorticon Elite

KRON WIP

Post by guynietoren »

Thought I'd at least post what I have so far. Decided to try running with a Tron mod for Keen Galaxy. I have a lot to learn up on it. But first just working on some of the artwork. The way the tiles are lined up, I've no realized all the different ones that become necessary to fit stuff together.
Let me know if you have any suggestions. Hopefully I won't become bored with this one and I'll see it through. I figured with it having more simplistic graphics than the other, that it may be a bit more manageable for my skill set. What you see is all I have so far. Plus a small mock up on the right side.
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

EXCELLENT!
Yeah, piece of cake!
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Post by DoomJedi »

Never watched the movies so this doesn't relate to me much. But looks great, and simular to stills I've seen.
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

If it's for keen 4 howsabout when he's on the worldmap the light-cycle = swimming, with a large section of the map inaccessible until he gets a bike, also might work for the well of wishes (light-cycle fight) but that would probably need some behavior changes
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
guynietoren
Vorticon Elite

Post by guynietoren »

MoffD wrote:If it's for keen 4 howsabout when he's on the worldmap the light-cycle = swimming, with a large section of the map inaccessible until he gets a bike, also might work for the well of wishes (light-cycle fight) but that would probably need some behavior changes
A light cycle grid would look cool on the map. But was thinking the terrain would have to be inaccessible by foot in that case. Perhaps a Light Jet to cross the sea of simulation. A light bike level would have to be like an entire mini-game with it's own physics worked out.

Had another idea to have his pogo spawn/res from a baton. Along with his identity disc being used as a boomerang weapon like in Jill of the Jungle. Would take more than just my work to get it done, but would like to have most of the art done any of that gets in full swing. I've never finished a mod yet, so I just don't want to let anyone down till I have a substantial amount of content provided. But I do welcome the new ideas.
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

guynietoren wrote: Had another idea to have his pogo spawn/res from a baton. Along with his identity disc being used as a boomerang weapon like in Jill of the Jungle.
That sounds like an awesome idea, I'm liking this more and more.

If you need a backstory as to why Keen is trapped in a Tron-like world I have some ideas:

1) Keen is playing on his game console when something starts messing it up like a virus (yes I know consoles shouldn't get them) or some creature that possesses it and Keen builds a device to enter the console and purge it from this infection. Enemies are program glitches
2) Keen is transported into the virtual world by a trap Mort made and the Enemies are programs that Mort made to try and kill him
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

DoomJedi wrote:Never watched the movies so this doesn't relate to me much. But looks great, and simular to stills I've seen.
Oh, no worries, my friend! Sit back, relax and watch my very own trailer of TRON: Legacy http://youtu.be/ptH51Em1XlY
guynietoren wrote:Perhaps a Light Jet to cross the sea of simulation
A Light Jet? That sounds more like the Bloogstar Rocket than the Swimsuit.
Jolly good work, guynietoren! Everything looks nice'n'glow-ee!
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

troublesomekeen wrote:
DoomJedi wrote:Never watched the movies so this doesn't relate to me much. But looks great, and simular to stills I've seen.
Oh, no worries, my friend! Sit back, relax and watch my very own trailer of TRON: Legacy http://youtu.be/ptH51Em1XlY
:lol Best part was 0:25-0:30

If there is a light-cycle I would want to maunually fly it instead of an autopilot like the Bloogstar Rocket
guynietoren
Vorticon Elite

Post by guynietoren »

As far as a story. My initial thought was to include characters from keen 1. But it might work best to think of something new. The Tron world has all but a few characters as humanoid. Such as Bit and grid bugs. I may have it involve a computer AI that he designed to autopilot the BWBMR. It's really hard to think of content that's not a complete rip off of the source material. Something new and interesting. Needless to say, it'll take some brainstorming.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

I like this idea. I only know the old movie, but the graphics already look fitting.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

Looks great. Hope to play it soon. :)
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

The way the tiles are lined up, I've no realized all the different ones that become necessary to fit stuff together.
This is why I developed a slightly different 2.5D perspective, it requires 1/3 less tiles. You may have noticed it in the Meets the Meats mod.

Along with his identity disc being used as a boomerang weapon like in Jill of the Jungle.
That should be simple enough, the question being what happens when the disk is prevented from returning; sink to the ground like Jill? Always try and return? Hover in the air?

If you need a backstory as to why Keen is trapped in a Tron-like world I have some ideas:
He buys a YBox 4 which has such realistic games that they simulate reality and the alternate reality wants to take over ours for the processing power.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
guynietoren
Vorticon Elite

Post by guynietoren »

Levellass wrote: That should be simple enough, the question being what happens when the disk is prevented from returning; sink to the ground like Jill? Always try and return? Hover in the air?
Well the disc homes in on it's user after certain conditions are met. Probably after it reaches a certain distance or if it strikes a target. And it also depends on the target it hits, such as if the disc bounces back or if it has to curve around back.

So. Perhaps if obstructed, it begins homing again when line of sight returns to the thrower. Likely requiring it to accelerate, rather than just starting at fixed velocity. The return velocity would have limits to allow catching, which may or may not be slower than the speed it was thrown.

The question is how does it behave when it's obstructed. Ideally I'm thinking it'll reflect back and forth until it's trajectory is corrected. So it would bounce off walls until it has found line of sight with it's user.

On Tron Legacy the disc can be made to stick when it hits a surface or curve on the initial throw. But I'd guess that it depends on how it's thrown. Maybe depends on how much of the user's energy it's given so it strikes but doesn't bounce/reflect. But then again any of these effects are outside the norm, and best left for cut scenes and what not.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

Looks seriously neat. The tileset is simple and minimalistic but still clear, which is an impressive (though given it's by you, not surprising) feat.

My only point would be that you don't seem to have carried the 2.5D look over to the pole hole. Having not seen Tron I don't know if that is intentional or not, but it looks a little strange to me.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

I just thought of a potential problem with the boomerang disk, what would happen if keen exited the map before it returns? (assuming that this works off of ammo somehow)