The Ocflore Project

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Bubbatom wrote:In regards to them not fitting the Keeniverse, I'd have to agree with you wiivn. Not many of the enemies in this mod possibly won't. That's not a bad thing, they'll fit very well with the mod, but not the rest of the Keeniverse necessarily.
I agree that they're not particularly Keenish, but that doesn't matter at all. I don't think mods should strive to be as if they were direct continuation of the originals. I like to see different approaches. :dopekeen
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

I think the backgrounds are quite Keen-dreamsy... the sky scene in the bottom screenshot looks quite Cosmo's Cosmic Adventures. I love that daylight moon too, probably the first I've seen in a mod. Really gorgeous stuff and, like Keening_Product said, "Dem CLOUDS" - what a tasteful use of colour.
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

Wow, I really like that tranquile sky background with a moon partially visible.
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
thehackercat
Yorp Doctor

Post by thehackercat »

Topic bump. This mod is stunning! I've been gone from the forums for a while, but I didn't expect to see so many projects in the works when I poked my head back in!

I have no clue as to how you've progressed on this mod since July, but I'd be happy to contribute some tunes if you still need any!
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

This is a good looking mod.
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Half an year without an update... But given this to a Keen scale, it is a small amount of time. Otherwise I would be worried as to what happened to this project and why no updates for so long time! Maybe I'll dare to ask after a year or so, if Bubbatom still don't update on this...
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

I heard from Bubbatom last October, so it hasn't really been a half year. A handful of levels are playable even! Tons of brilliant looking tiles... But yeah. It's still in the works. :)
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
Levack
Vortininja

Post by Levack »

That water is interesting.
Using a patch we can make keen go partway into the water, change into swim gear and start swimming around!
It would be sort of like Isis II:drool
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

What Keen for though? I only have such a patch for Keen 3.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Levellass wrote:What Keen for though? I only have such a patch for Keen 3.
You put the scuba gear in keen 3? :confused
Impressive 8)
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Levack
Vortininja

Post by Levack »

You used it in Val Keen...
Bubbatom
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bubbatom »

Hey everyone! Long time no see!

School REALLY ramped up at the end of this year. Seeing as I didn't manage to get much done on the project during this time, I was really looking forward to getting to work on the mod over the two months I have off. As soon as the holidays came though, I picked up a decently priced majestic Black Rose pinball machine (1992) that has held my attention for a while and continues to do so.

Despite all of this, a fair amount has been done since the last update, just not recently. Turns out I was considering a Christmas update for the project. That may be ready tomorrow, if not probably Christmas Eve as I'm going away for the weekend.
thehackercat wrote:I have no clue as to how you've progressed on this mod since July, but I'd be happy to contribute some tunes if you still need any!
I would love some tunes! Gamebird has created one mp3, but no imfs yet and I would love to hear some in game music! I'll message you with some pieces of music that I feel fit some aspects of the mod that you may be able to draw inspiration from.
VikingBoyBilly wrote:This is a good looking mod.
Cheers! Glad you like it!
Levack wrote:That water is interesting.
Using a patch we can make keen go partway into the water, change into swim gear and start swimming around!
It would be sort of like Isis II:drool
It'd certainly be cool, but even if there is a possible patch, level would probably become too tile heavy!

Anyway, stay tuned for a bigger update on the project real soon!
Thanks, Tom
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

VikingBoyBilly wrote:
Levellass wrote:What Keen for though? I only have such a patch for Keen 3.
You put the scuba gear in keen 3? :confused
Impressive 8)
No, but Pirate Keen was going to have Scuba Keen in it when he went into deep water but I dumped it.

Bubbatom wrote:It'd certainly be cool, but even if there is a possible patch, level would probably become too tile heavy!
Maaaybe, depends what you mean by 'tile heavy'.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Bubbatom
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bubbatom »

Merry Christmas! Sorry I didn't get around to an update earlier as I suggested I would!

Lots of stuff has been done since July, but not much has been implemented, if you know what I mean?

The map is rather lacking at the moment. I haven't finished that many tiles for it and have no definite level order or layout as of yet. Here are some entrances that I have put together though (for some reason this image doesn't display on the forums properly):
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/531 ... rances.bmp

Here is a shot of some rugged pillars in a cave level.

Further into the cave. Complex door designs within a level will indicate required paths key to completing the level, rather than basic rectangles cut into walls.

Inside the Enkri Sanctuary. I drew some inspiration from Paramonia from Abe's Oddysee for this level.

A recolour of an earlier enemy idea. This time it is more than just a mockup, though further patching is required.

The result of two Vendrizi grubs combining on one branch.

I recently finished this jungle background and alternative earthy tiles. I need a hand deciding whether the blue highlights on the hills in the back look alright, or whether I should revert back to light green. The light green seems to blend in a little too much to the tree tops.

So there is my update. I've actually had a lot on over the last few weeks, which is odd considering I usually get heaps of work done on modding during the holidays. This is the primary blame:
Hopefully I can get some more done on Ocflore along with some Atroxian Realm stuff I promised to do ages ago for Gridlock.

Thanks guys! Merry Christmas!

Tom
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Let me get ahead of what Levelass will say "MUST STEAL".

Seriously, amazing stuff! I really like the tilesets. Just wow!