A new idea: A Keen GBC-to-DOS Adaptation?

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.

Should we make a community mod adaptation of Keen GBC?

Yes! I'd like to fix the mistakes that were made!
85%
NO! GET IT AWAY!
15%

Total votes: 13

T-Squared
Vortininja

A new idea: A Keen GBC-to-DOS Adaptation?

Post by T-Squared »

I've been seeing opinions on how Keen GBC was bad (To be honest, for me, it's like an MST3K movie. A bit of a guilty pleasure.) and I got inspired from this adaptation of the Title theme for an idea: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVLeIwmZCYM If there's an interest, I'd like to see if we can try to make a retcon of Keen GBC, for MS-DOS, to make the story and gameplay more interesting. I posted the story on the PCKF IRC chat, and I haven't really gotten much opinion on it, except for a suggestion to post it here.

So I give you, for your review, a rough draft of Commander Keen: Warp Drive Warpath!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8r1tecdr5klog ... 2.rtf?dl=0

(Also, I didn't just make up the ideas in the story, except for those already in Keen GBC, some of it is grounded in real-world theories and ideas, with some artistic license thrown in.)

Believe me, this is a VERY rough draft. There are incomplete sections to the story.

Keep in mind, I'm still working on "Cosmo II: HUMANIZED!!!", so this really isn't supposed to be my focus project right now.
Cosmo II: HUMANIZED!!! Progress:
Graphics: 15% Complete
Story: 100% Complete
Music: 5% Complete
Programming Modifications: 5% Complete (FINALLY! SOME PROGRESS!)

http://www.tsqproductions.com
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

This sounds interesting. Even though it's been almost 10 years since I last played Keen GBC before losing the cartridge, I did find that it had some neat elements that could fit within the Keen universe. Were you thinking that this project would be a Keen Galaxy mod?

I like the basic story too. Although, having Mort reappear right after his mysterious disappearance in Keen 9 seems a little uninteresting. If I remember right, wasn't Keen chasing Mortimer in some form in Keen GBC? That might be a neat element to include.
Armageddon Begins Again. The Alphamatic has arrived.

Atroxian Realm: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3536
The Alphamatic: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4086
T-Squared
Vortininja

Post by T-Squared »

Gridlock wrote: Were you thinking that this project would be a Keen Galaxy mod?

I like the basic story too. Although, having Mort reappear right after his mysterious disappearance in Keen 9 seems a little uninteresting. If I remember right, wasn't Keen chasing Mortimer in some form in Keen GBC? That might be a neat element to include.
Yes, and I think Keen 5's engine is perfect for the scope of what Keen GBC did with the multitude of enemies that it had.

Yeah, I forgot about that. But like I said, it's a rough draft.
Cosmo II: HUMANIZED!!! Progress:
Graphics: 15% Complete
Story: 100% Complete
Music: 5% Complete
Programming Modifications: 5% Complete (FINALLY! SOME PROGRESS!)

http://www.tsqproductions.com
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Then there's always android duplicate, it'd be nice to see a mod where the Mort was known to be a dupe from the start instead of the oft-used 'Oh wait, it was a fake!' at the end that's been used quite a few times.

I mean, what would a robot Mort even want? How smart would it be? Would it have free will?
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

White holes are a real theory?

Keen 6 could work well too (the sandwich, the card pass, some third thing for the spaceship, and I think there's a rope.).
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Plasma Captain
Vorticon Elite

Post by Plasma Captain »

Levellass wrote:I mean, what would a robot Mort even want? How smart would it be? Would it have free will?
Android McMire, having an innate desire for knowledge, absorbs all the knowledge in the universe during its missions. As it learns, it gradually modifies itself until it eventually becomes far smarter than the real McMire. Then it usurps its creator - the android was the real threat all along!
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

This came on while I was reading Lass' comment and seems appropriate:

"We want what you've got."
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

That's a good bit of music, though in this case I think it'd be more like 'We want EVERYTHING.'.

VikingBoyBilly wrote:White holes are a real theory?
The original white holes are quasars, now known to be black holes eating a messy lunch. But it's possible that 'true' white holes may form from black holes due to 'quantum bounce' http://www.nature.com/news/quantum-boun ... de-1.15573

Plasma Captain wrote:Android McMire, having an innate desire for knowledge, absorbs all the knowledge in the universe during its missions. As it learns, it gradually modifies itself until it eventually becomes far smarter than the real McMire. Then it usurps its creator - the android was the real threat all along!
That sounds good, something like the invention of AI, the unleashing of a force in arrogance whose eventual scope could never be predicted. (I am also reminded of the drone arms in Lexx.) I can imagine stars winking out, one by one as the malevolent forces of the android spread.
chrissifniotis
Vorticon Elite

Post by chrissifniotis »

I'm not entirely sure; I do want to see the end result of this, but that's largely because I've never played Keen GBC. And while I do hope of a good game, I do want to see the original game, if for no other reason to see why the game is seen as garg vomit. I'm all for a Keen mod, but I'll leave it up to you to do it however you see fit.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Eh, I didn't mind the game. Not the hottest but not repulsive.