The Lost Age of Keen Fangames

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

I think for the most part people are right, that mods much more competently filled most of the niche that fangames had been filling, even more so once patching really came into its own. These days it almost seems like you could recreate Isis II as a mod. Almost. ;)

Most fangames I remember attempted (quite unsuccessfully, in nearly all cases) to recreate the physics of Commander Keen, and come to think of it a great many of them didn't even have very many custom graphics either, apart from some recolors here and there. Some of the ones I played a lot, like Keen 2000, Keen Forever, School's Out etc. were mostly just graphics and sprites from Keen 4-6. Exceptions like the sadly unfinished Isis II and the sadly unfinished Rule of a Yorp's Supper/Dinner existed and definitely showed the potential fangames had, if they were allowed to break out of just being flimsy Keen clones and have play styles of their own. (They also didn't have crappy physics which helped.)

I also remember Asino's Uphail being pretty good, if a bit barren at times. Dopefish Forever! and The Dopefish Challenge were super addictive. Yorp Convention was horrible but oddly funny. Commander Keen Code Name 13 was the finest fangame I have ever played and I continue to lament that it was never finished (or finishable, anyway.) Mortal Keenbat and Commander Keen in Trouble had awesome sound effects. Oh yeah and that TUIT trilogy, which had fugly graphics and a really silly story but hooked me anyway. The mod trilogy may seem better in every way, but then, did it have an evil talking fork and spoon??? :crazy

I remember never getting RKP to work, even though there were three of them. Maybe when I can get at my old computer I can try and get those running again.

Oh yeah and Commander Keen in the Dream Machine! I thought that one had a lot of potential, though I never got very far in it.
Commander Spleen wrote:Somehow it never really occurred to me to make a Keen fangame
I only ever seriously attempted one, which fell into the usual pitfalls of clumsy physics and whatnot. I had a whole trilogy planned which I guess would roughly have been a TUIT-type story, though most of it never came to fruition, clearly.

And yes, there was also The Worst Keen Fangame Ever, which I would remake without all the unfunny self-referential fourth-wall stuff at the beginning and end if it were at all worth the effort. :P
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

I'm still interested in the idea I've had for a while now, to make a Keen fan game for another machinery, like NES. Not sure what kind of game it would be but most likely not a side-scroller since programming one for that hardware would be a bit tricky -- for me. And I have Keen modding for that side-scrolling experience.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

A port to old Commodore hardware would be neat. Particularly C64 or Amiga 500.
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

KeenRush wrote:I'm still interested in the idea I've had for a while now, to make a Keen fan game for another machinery, like NES.
Heh, I myself was poking into that tonight. Now it's past 2 AM. :rolleyes
Twould be very cool, an NES Keen game of a different sort.
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
KeenEmpire
Intellectuality

Post by KeenEmpire »

Asino's Uphail was my onetime favorite, made me laugh every few minutes back when I first played. Spent many hours until I could reliably beat the asteroid level.

rkp2 was decent enough. I should probably replay it for some memories and try rkp3.

I remember one of the authors asked for their game to be removed due to perceived lack of quality, for which I was aghast at the time. I'm glad there's still a backup on cc314.
"In order to ensure our security, and continuing stability, the Kingdom has been reorganized into the First Vorticon Intellectuality!" Image
xegnma
Meep

Keen TD

Post by xegnma »

Hi all...long time lurker here...

Just looking to gauge interest on something regarding fan games...There was some talk of a Keen tower defense game that sprung from an April fool's joke a few years back...Would anyone be interested in a Keen TD game nowadays?
Levack
Vortininja

Post by Levack »

I would! :)
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Re: Keen TD

Post by MoffD »

xegnma wrote:Hi all...long time lurker here...

Just looking to gauge interest on something regarding fan games...There was some talk of a Keen tower defense game that sprung from an April fool's joke a few years back...Would anyone be interested in a Keen TD game nowadays?
Yes. Welcome to the forums, you will be issued your nostalgia in a few hours.
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

xegnma wrote:Would anyone be interested in a Keen TD game nowadays?
Hello, xegnma! Absolutely. The April Fools screenies looked pretty darn perfect. I like tower defense games, but my brother! Oh boy, my brother. HE LOVES TOWER DEFENSE.
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Post by DoomJedi »

That was a good April Fool's joke :)
I do think that perspective of the sprites looks wrong for this type of game.
And I have no affection for TD game style.

I did put ALOT of work into those sprites, and would looove to see them used in some Keen fangame.

As sprites were made for BomberKeen - I'd obviously most prefer for someone to finally take on that project seriously...and am willing to help.
Last edited by DoomJedi on Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:59, edited 2 times in total.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

xegnma wrote:Hi all...long time lurker here...

This can actually turn out to something? :begging
DoomJedi wrote:That was a good April fool's joke :)
I do think that perspective of the sprites looks wrong for this type of game.
How come? The perspective is perfect since the perspective of a tower defense game and a bomberman game are the same.
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Post by DoomJedi »

wiivn wrote: How come? The perspective is perfect since the perspective of a tower defense game and a bomberman game are the same.
Ok :)
I'm far from being TD genre expert :)

So...who will take over that idea?
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

DoomJedi wrote:I did put ALOT of work into those sprites, and would looove to see them used in some Keen fangame.
I'm getting to that. :p
I just have to figure out enemy groups. Beautiful sprites, DoomJedi. I love 'em.

DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Post by DoomJedi »

Great pics, and thanks for the compliments :)

I'm not sure latest spritesets were released, you can download them here:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/375 ... latest.rar

Those are fuller and improved frames from the original spritesets, including more actions that might be useful. Many of them are unfinished, many others are done.
If it gets serious gear, I might add more or improve some.
Last edited by DoomJedi on Sat Feb 28, 2015 18:45, edited 1 time in total.
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Post by DoomJedi »

Updated with finished Batman extended spriteset

UPDATE:: Updated with finished Flash extended spritesheet