New, untitled "trippy" fangame in the works

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
q 90
Vortininja

New, untitled "trippy" fangame in the works

Post by q 90 »

Engine test: exe | cca | cncs32.dll (all required)
Pre-Alpha: Coming soonish

This is a PRE-PRE-ALPHA version of an upcoming (and currently untitled) fangame. It's insanely mundane at the moment, but it gets better. I'm not trying to revolutionize anything, but I am trying to out-surreal Commander Keen Psychedelic. Let me know of any changes that need to be made to the engine itself (there will be plenty).

Screenshot!
Last edited by q 90 on Tue Jul 29, 2008 21:21, edited 4 times in total.
Member since 2003, with breaks of varying longevity interspersed.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Question: Why would an Alpha come before a beta? Wouldn't it be called a gamma or something?

Heheh, this has my dumpster in it I'll definately be checking it out :)

EDIT: Mine says "This application has failed to start because CNCS32.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem."
Help? :begging

That Spatang.com place was just weird and confusing and i didnt find anything. :dead
q 90
Vortininja

Post by q 90 »

That Spatang.com place was just weird and confusing and i didnt find anything. :dead
It might be somewhere on spatang.com/dosclassics, but I had assumed everyone here knew what "That spatang.com" place was. If you're there, xtraverse, I believe it's time for a history lesson.

But anyway, I updated the first post with a link.
Why would an Alpha come before a beta? Wouldn't it be called a gamma or something?
My bad. It's now the more appropriately-named "engine test."
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

Alpha release comes before Beta release, because it comes out..well, first (being Alpha is first in Greek, Omega is last). So having pre-Alpha or Alpha for Q90's test would be correct.

In game development, it usually works Alpha (VERY early release), then Beta (usually has the core gameplay elements by then) then they usually just have the final release, though logically it could work with Gamma, Delta, etc.

I have too much time on my hands :P

Q90, your game is coming along, it seems you have a good platformer core, which you can use later on in other games.

Will you change the background image if you get more "urban" graphics?
q 90
Vortininja

Post by q 90 »

It's amazing how difficult it is to create a decent platformer core (from scratch and not using their built-in one) in TGF. Pressing F8 gives one some insight into what's all running to make it work.

Well, the most I would do is that if I got more "urban" graphics would be to replace the background with a more generic-looking image of urban decay. Basically, the graphics won't be "Keenish" at all but the gameplay should be.
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

q 90 wrote:It's amazing how difficult it is to create a decent platformer core (from scratch and not using their built-in one) in TGF. Pressing F8 gives one some insight into what's all running to make it work.
Exactly, it's difficult to make one if you're coding it yourself. Which is why from experience, that even though this is just an alpha, I can tell it's got a good foundation :)
q 90 wrote: Well, the most I would do is that if I got more "urban" graphics would be to replace the background with a more generic-looking image of urban decay. Basically, the graphics won't be "Keenish" at all but the gameplay should be.
Ahh ok, but you'd have pixeled graphics, right? Rather than just photographs.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Heh, my mistake. I was thinking that releases started from Gamma and ascended it's way up to Alpha, not the other way around. :o
Kind of like how members of animal groups are referred to as "alphas" for being the top leaders, and "Omegas" for being the bottom of the barrel underdogs of the pack. :garg
Malvineous
Shikadi Webmaster

Post by Malvineous »

That photo is just screaming out to have the "No public parking" sign photoshopped to be in SGA instead...
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

Omegas? I've never heard that term in such a context, but I'm adopting it from now on.
q 90
Vortininja

Post by q 90 »

And then you could use Digamma to refer to things that were once good in their heyday, but now serve no purpose.

P.S. Wasn't this topic about some guy's fan game or something? I hear progress on it is coming along nicely, though.
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

Malvineous wrote:That photo is just screaming out to have the "No public parking" sign photoshopped to be in SGA instead...
Or Inkscaped...

It's a bit bigger than it needs to be, but Inkscape seems to be generous with the antialias at the original scale. It'll probably make it a bit trippier to keep it at this size. Could do with some cleaning up where I've rectangled things out though. Oh, and I forgot to centre the 'Parking' line, but that's easy enough to fix.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

heh, awesome :)
q 90
Vortininja

Post by q 90 »

Ha. I love it.
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

If all three files are required, why not zip it? Also, whoa, Click and Create?

...Tried it, and it's actually pretty bad. It feels a lot like most badly-made Click platformers, actually, and I'm not sure if I'd enjoy the full thing even if it was done on purpose...

I wouldn't call this alpha or even pre-alpha, btw, it's nothing more than an engine test right now, and even then the platform engine seems bad and buggy. Try to do something about the no-gravity jumping, using only one key for the pogo, the awfully speedy animation and the slow movement in general, okay?
Wow look at me I'm lurking
LJH
Vortininja

Post by LJH »

If you have the problem of the pogo not working when you use the same key for both, make sure that in the Event Editor, the stop pogo event comes BEFORE the start pogo event. That should fix it.
time goes by 時の流れは二人を変えて行くけれど
失くしたものも夢見るものもその手を取って思い出すよ
いつも君の側で...