Captain Rixot - neat hommage to Commander Keen by jlv

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
Hagel
Vortininja

Captain Rixot - neat hommage to Commander Keen by jlv

Post by Hagel »

I found this neat game "Captain Rixot: Lost on Enceladus" on the internet. It´s a nice hommage to Commander Keen 1 that can be played in the browser.
As it doen´t seem to be discussed in this forums (nor anywhere else on the internet) I decided to post it here and suggest to encourage the author to go on with projects as this one.

Link to the game: http://jlv.fi/pub/p/rixot/
Link to the author's website: http://jlv.fi
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Wow! Nice find! It even has it's own alphabet? (see the exit signs) I don't know how this is possible, but the physics, while trying to mimic the original one, are feeling much better! And a two eyed Yorps... Could this be the missing link between one eyed Yorp and two eyed Garg? Too bad it's only shareware without sounds and other elements. Maybe we need to contact the author.
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

Amazing find... how does one come across something like this? The author definitely needs to be contacted. Agreed re: physics. Though nothing feels quite as spot on as Keen1 physics, that's only due to playing Keen1 for so many years.

It sure beats the hell out of Super Kid, a browser based Java game that's been around since the 90s (I played it before I ever played Keen) which I like to regard in hindsight as severely derivative of Keen. (pretty sure the above link works, not sure though as I don't seem to have Java installed).
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Darn this is obscure. GOOGLE of all things has 5 results for it. How is that possible?

Also someone make a video of gameplay, youtube or Facebook need to see this.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

I shot a very rough video of gameplay. What I need to do is get some commentary in there. Maybe add some sound effects and music. Maybe even put my dumb face in the corner.

It'll take an hour to render and upload, but this link should do it (in the futureeee)
https://youtu.be/ZhHYyFnLCaY
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

@troublesomekeen: yesss! comments pls!
out now (link) : Image
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Thos video is private.
ktch0
Grunt

Post by ktch0 »

Hey guys! Author here... a little late to the party but I was just today informed of this thread :p I actually tried to post here back when I released it for feedback but for some reason was unable to log on to my account... seems to be fixed now.

This was a fun project I did as a homage a couple of years ago, glad you seemed to have enjoyed it. I tried to stay faithful with the controls and graphical style to the original game. CK1 is a very special game for me because it was the first PC game I actually remember playing (I was around 7 when it came out). I had some C64 games before that but never really got into those. Took a lot of playing before I got through the first episode.. good times.

The lack of any sound effects is what bothers me too, as I had planned some original PC speaker like sfx for this. I'm no audio guy and when I tried to create some with the MONOTONE tracker it just took so damn long and I just couldn't seem make any of the more complicated ones such as the keycard pickup sound. I also tried to commission them once but I had no luck with that either...

Another thing I wanted to add but had to cut due to shortage of time was an overworld map. I think it would've done wonders breaking up the linearity.

Both are still on my todo list so perhaps some day :)
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

We'll be here to help if we can, we know these games inside and out.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

Levellass wrote:We'll be here to help if we can, we know these games inside and out.
cause we are some sort of a skill collaboration delighted to share our knowledge with keen inspiring ideas like these!
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

Pretty sure I've seen this before. Must have popped up in an IRC conversation at some point and then been buried under left shift memes and circumflexes. Or maybe I'd had a lot of vodka. Something definitely seems familiar about the levels. It's an extremely well made engine and I'm in agreement about the wonderful physics. There is an occasional moment which I can't pinpoint where something feels slightly out of place, but that might just be to do with the movement being aligned to a 640x480 screen instead of 320x200.

Monotone wouldn't be much good for making sound effects. Levellass and myself have made editors for that purpose. Lass' KeenWave seems to be more intuitive for most people but my KeenFX is what works for me. I'd offer to make some sound effects sometime but it would probably end up lost in my ever growing pile of unfinished projects.

KeenWave
KeenFX
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

Commander Spleen wrote:[Discussion Threads:]
KeenWave
KeenFX
...just for the sake of completeness:
The Wiki says:
keenwiki/KeenWave
keenwiki/KeenFX
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

Also that link needs to be updated to this: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/370 ... keenfx.zip

I don't seem to have an active account on the wiki at the moment.
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

thanx for the hint:
dead link fixed!
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Cool to see you here ktch0. It's awesome that you'll continue to work on this because the engine feels solid and the fact that you can play it in your browsers is another +.

Oh, and please implement a save system or unlimited lives. It was getting interesting when the three eyed gargs appeared, but I don't feel like replaying all the levels before that again and again.