Netkeen, anyone?

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
Melierax
Meep

Re: Netkeen, anyone?

Post by Melierax »

I'm alive!!!! :evil

For those who don't know, I'm keenmaster's sister.
keenmaster486 wrote: I can't host due to the way I connect to the internet, but my sister can since she already has the right port set up on her router (we do two-player games on a regular basis and the lag is completely nonexistent). She doesn't have a static IP though, so that makes things a little annoying. She'd have to PM everyone her current IP or something.
Is there a way I can change that? It's not like it would be too much of a pain to send everyone my IP, but it would be kind of nice not to have to do that.
keenmaster486
Vorticon Elite

Post by keenmaster486 »

Well, you'd have to pay for a static IP from the phone company.

I sent you another PM.
I flermmed the plootash just like you asked.
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

Is there a way I can change that? It's not like it would be too much of a pain to send everyone my IP, but it would be kind of nice not to have to do that.
You could set up a dynamic DNS which gives you a constant URL (i.e. melierax.dyndns.org) that updates each time your IP address changes. There are some good free options out there. I used to use dyndns.org but the conditions on the free account changed so you have to log in once a month or something. Can't remember which one I switched to at the moment. Didn't bother setting it up last router change.
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Figured I'd resurrect this thread to announce that myself and at least TroubelsomeKeen (maybe a couple others?) are going to be online for some Netkeen today, 8/16. I'll be on discord between 4-7pm PST, if anyone wants to join in 8)
Woahkeen
Meep

Post by Woahkeen »

Any to play? :p
Last edited by Woahkeen on Tue Nov 22, 2022 18:47, edited 1 time in total.
55Aavenue
Vortininja

Post by 55Aavenue »

The Netkeen page on the Keen wiki has detailed instructions on how to get it working

http://www.shikadi.net/keenwiki/NetKeen