3D Commander Keen Game

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.

would a 3d version of commander keen destory the classic spirit of the series that is commander keen?

Yes
36%
No
64%

Total votes: 22

Rorie
Tru-Blu Aussie Born & Bred

3D Commander Keen Game

Post by Rorie »

a while ago someone was trying to design a 3d version of commander keen 4. as djaser & the other original members from the ezboard board can recall i was dismissing it by repeatedly saying it would destroy the classic spirit of the offical dos games (i don't think it would now even if tom hall actually wrote a new keen game). i am sure the original members can dig up the ezboard topics i probably could but i am a lazy bugger. as for the new members of this board i want to ask the same question i did all those years ago. vote yes or no in the poll titled would a 3d version of commander keen destory the classic spirit of the series that is commander keen. i would love to hear your opinion
If you can't change the rules, challenge them, rules are made to be broken
Up yours Fleexy!
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Yes, 3D will destroy CK if they make it like the unreleased Jazz 3. No, if they make it like Bionic Commando Rearmed. Actually, if they make it like BCR, Keen might once again become popular.
Djaser
Holy Monk Yorp

Post by Djaser »

Pff, there are plenty of 3d platformers out there that are true to the spirit of Commander Keen.
Aaaah, not the bees!
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

It certainly is a difficult situation to make a cartoony, 2d, EGA-coloured Platformer a nice 3d game.
3D games mostly are less colorful, tend to be less funny, more realistic (through atmosphere). But I think if you want to keep the original atmosphere in 3D it is possible.
Graphics like the Gamecube Zelda could be an idea (it is 3D but still looky comicy...)

Anyway, I don't think anything could destroy the Original Keen games. If it's bad it will inevitably be excluded from the Keeniverse by the true fans.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
memsys
Vortininja

Post by memsys »

yea look at keen gbc :disguised
(i used to be ME!)
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

tulip wrote:Anyway, I don't think anything could destroy the Original Keen games. If it's bad it will inevitably be excluded from the Keeniverse by the true fans.
Heh, indeed, good point. :) I don't think TUIT will (yes, it shall come!) affect the old games, it won't make them worse or destroy their spirit, but it's a different question how 3D is going to work with it. But I think it will work pretty well. Before I was against it going to be 3D, but nowadays I think it could get rather interesting, at least as long as Tom is making it.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

djaser wrote:Pff, there are plenty of 3d platformers out there that are true to the spirit of Commander Keen.
Care to name a few? No 3D game I've played so far has come off to me as Keenish.
Djaser
Holy Monk Yorp

Post by Djaser »

Commander Spleen wrote:
djaser wrote:Pff, there are plenty of 3d platformers out there that are true to the spirit of Commander Keen.
Care to name a few? No 3D game I've played so far has come off to me as Keenish.

I suppose that depends on what see as Keenish. For me it are games set in colorful alien worlds who feature lots of humor and cartoon like creatures. The game should consist of smooth game play with a variation of combat and simple puzzles.
If you would agree on than the Ratchet and Clank series is definitely a must. The main protagonists are much like Keen, flying in spaceships from planet to planet battling evil alien masterminds.
I also liked the Jak series. The two later games might have become a little bit too dark and serious but the first installment took a place in a world that isn't that much different from the Shadowlands.
Rayman 2 and 3 are also worth checking out for similar reasons.
Aaaah, not the bees!
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

I agree on the rayman series,

I never heard about Ratchet and Clank before because I'm only using a PC and I never owned a Playstation, but indeed these Screenshots look like a 3d Keen could look like...
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

I've heard of Ratchet & Clank and Rayman, but haven't played them. I'll check out the three titles you suggest.
memsys
Vortininja

Post by memsys »

Ratchet & Clank and Rayman are both 3d fantasy platformers
(i used to be ME!)
Djaser
Holy Monk Yorp

Post by Djaser »

That's good Spleen, let me know what you think of them.
memsys wrote:Ratchet & Clank and Rayman are both 3d fantasy platformers
How's that different from what I said?
Aaaah, not the bees!
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

Rorie, are you talking about if a Keen fangame was made in 3D? Or if it was made officially? Or both?
memsys
Vortininja

Post by memsys »

both i guess...
(i used to be ME!)
GoldenRishi
Vortininja

yeah

Post by GoldenRishi »

Rayman 2 (and partially 3) is by far the best example of a 2D platformer series converted into a 3D masterpiece. I have to say, Rayman II has got to be the best video game I've ever played.

People complain that Keen would never look good in 3D, but those people seriously lack imagination. Nearly all things are possible in the gaming universe, not least of which is modifying old ideas into new ones.
(Used to be LordofGlobox)