Commander Keen - the earth explodes mod

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
Dr.Colossus
Vortininja

Commander Keen - the earth explodes mod

Post by Dr.Colossus »

Last edited by Dr.Colossus on Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:29, edited 3 times in total.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Re: Commander Keen - Galaxy Defender

Post by Levellass »

Wait, shouldn't this go in the release forum? I forget.

Also, left a test patch in I see. *Restores 'always shoot' patch*
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

Very cool! I can see it all now...

Keen 1 Redone
Keen 2 Redo
Keen 3 Repeat
Keen 4 Restore
Keen 5 Revive
Keen 6 Remix
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

oh wow. the titlescreen is DOPE! I adore all off your titlescreens but this time around the Vorticon Mothership is outstanding! splendid!

besides that, this is a very entertaining demo release. it has such a neat a flavor to it that makes you wish for more. are you about to create this mod on your own, or are some community contributions intended? I'd love to assist with some minor stuff where I can...

side note: it's hilarious how Keen strays around in the in-game demo. made me grin a lot.
Last edited by Nisaba on Mon Oct 22, 2018 22:53, edited 1 time in total.
out now (link) : Image
Zilem
Vortininja

Post by Zilem »

Indeed that is an awesome title screen!
So is this preview-demo, didn't think you'd yet be able to both stand on the Cola cans and Robots.
so was surprised when one took keen for a ride
and the poles glitching the bots was humorous XD
The Difference Between a Mod and Fan art?, a Fan art is a Concept and a Mod is that Concept put into life.
Dr.Colossus
Vortininja

Post by Dr.Colossus »

Sorry, mixed up my mods and wrote the wrong headline.

Thanks for the positive feedback. There is still a lot of work to do. Especially background stuff.

To my shame the original title screen image is from guynietoren
If i keep it I would ask him for his permission and give credit.
Nisaba wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:39 besides that, this is a very entertaining demo release. it has such a neat a flavor to it that makes you wish for more. are you about to create this mod on your own, or are some community contributions intended? I'd love to assist with some minor stuff where I can...
If you want you can draw some background stuff that fits to the level themes, or images for the story screens, or improve the sprites. All help is welcome.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Oh man, would you guys please stop crushing it all the time?! *cries* This looks so damn good. Your interpretation is great. I really like your tilework, all those slightly raised parts of the platforms giving more sense of depth, etc.

And oh yeah, that title's awesome.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Re: Commander Keen - the earth explodes mod

Post by Quillax »

I tried out the 6 levels that were contained within, and I thought it was quite entertaining. I loved how the graphics looked (especially that title screen), and how you managed to transit the levels into Galaxy-style. Seeing the demos not being changed had some humorous results (not saying that it's a bad thing). :lol

Looking forward to seeing the complete version. Oh, and by the way, I think you forgot to get rid of that Keen5 executable in the download folder before releasing it. Might be a good idea to remove it.

EDIT: Oh, I almost forgot one problem I found! The Guard Robot in level 3 can't seem to get out of the vertical tube, so I had to use God Mode to get through it.
Quillax Ship - Where you can download all of my cool, keen mods and super-marvelous fangames!
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Looking cool! I too really like the Mothership looming over earth in the title screen! I also really like the many platform and background graphics you've incorporated into the mother ship (except the prominent green and blue background, feels a little out of place and glaring for the ship and in such a huge area), they look great! I was really surprised at how simple but well done the world map was, great transition in style from vorticones to galaxy. The level design is a great interpretation of the original levels in the galaxy style.

The one thing I'm not a fan of is, which really is just my preference, is the the burly muscular vorticons.
Dr.Colossus
Vortininja

Post by Dr.Colossus »

Quillax wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2017 18:55EDIT: Oh, I almost forgot one problem I found! The Guard Robot in level 3 can't seem to get out of the vertical tube, so I had to use God Mode to get through it.
I know. There is still a lot of patching work to to. This is only a minor problem to fix. But the wall-climbing robots are giving me headaches.
Ceilick wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:41 The one thing I'm not a fan of is, which really is just my preference, is the the burly muscular vorticons.
Yes. I even wasn't satisfied with the design. Zilem posted me her design suggestions and they are a bazillion times better.
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Post by DoomJedi »

Fantastic quality of this remake....really....wow.
You keep surprising
XrackProject
Vortininja

Post by XrackProject »

The titlescreen is amazing! :mort I have seen a review of this mod on a german keen youtube channel and I got pretty excited about this one. I like the new and fresh colors! Its amazing how many mods are in production lately! :O
A project for lifetime.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

It seems the one-way-up tiles shatter Keen's shots, this will need to be worked on. (I'm wondering if the 'cradle' property will work better.) A very nifty demonstration that also shows the work that needs to be done.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Tormentor667
Vortininja

Post by Tormentor667 »

This is utterly brilliant - I am almost crying :)

One thingh though as I noticed that this was referred as "demo" - is it finished or still in progress?
Dr.Colossus
Vortininja

Post by Dr.Colossus »

It's only an early alpha demo. I'm still working on it.