Commander Keen - the earth explodes mod

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
DarkAle
Vorticon Elite

Re: Commander Keen - the earth explodes mod

Post by DarkAle »

Today there is only a mod doned in this Keen day :'( :Sunnylands
Commander Keen in... Robot Apocalypse!
Episode 13: The Ultra Omegamatic viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6802
Episode 14: Secret of the Sorcerer viewtopic.php?t=13031
Shikadi-Network
Grunt

Post by Shikadi-Network »

But this levelpack is great so far, I just played four levels and I liked it. :)
The only frontier is our imagination - The Guy from Shikadi-Netzwerk
Dr.Colossus
Vortininja

Post by Dr.Colossus »

Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

Hey Doc,
How is it going? Long time no see. Thanks for the update and happy Mort day.

:mort
out now (link) : Image
DarkAle
Vorticon Elite

Post by DarkAle »

Wow this uptade is very cool :D but in the patch there are some thinghs of keen9 :confused.
And the scrubs on the climbing poles :confused
HAPPY MORT DAY
Last edited by DarkAle on Fri Mar 16, 2018 19:13, edited 2 times in total.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Woah.That's a significant update compared to the previous version. A lot of new things and updates on graphics there. And I'm glad you did not try to recreate your mod to be an exact Galaxy copy of Keen and made a diverse with more levels and such. The new levels are more interesting than the previous ones with the usage of slopes. I especially like some of the new black-purple-ish backgrounds. The world map levels signs, which are indicating what type of level they are, is a neat addition. I like that there's unlimited ammo too. The only thing that it still needs is adding new music tracks.

Spoiler: I'm not sure what this reference is supposed to be: https://s10.postimg.org/swn0gss0p/ck5patch_000.png Is it a radio or teleport? The robots might be from Bio Menace I think.
Dr.Colossus
Vortininja

Post by Dr.Colossus »

Alessandro wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 19:23 Wow this uptade is very cool :D but in the patch there are some thinghs of keen9 :confused.
:pirate
Alessandro wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 19:23 And the scrubs on the climbing poles :confused
I know. I tried to fix that but my patching skills are not that advanced.
Roobar wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 17:48 Spoiler: I'm not sure what this reference is supposed to be: https://s10.postimg.org/swn0gss0p/ck5patch_000.png Is it a radio or teleport? The robots might be from Bio Menace I think.
It's a toy car. And yes it's from BioMenace
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

somehow this major update got overseen by the community. but it think it's worth noting that a bunch of beautiful graphic elements got added. also some interesting level design decisions were made. and by the way, most every level has already a ruff structure, most are even fully laid out.

this mod evolves really nicely. thanks again for sharing this WIP release. all in all a very decent and topnotch progress over here. so there is good reason to bring this topic back up and discuss impressions and ideas, to help or at least to motivate DrColossus to keep on going. I for one are am really excited about this project and I'm very much looking forward for further updates. well done so far!

please allow me to also share some impressions with you guys:

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

and let me advertise you: there is even more to discover.
Tormentor667
Vortininja

Post by Tormentor667 »

This is amazing. Any estimated release date?
c64cosmin
Vortininja

Post by c64cosmin »

THIS IS NEAT!!!

I did a song for the Commander Keen 9 : The universe is Toast (Jotundra Mountains). I would be a pleasure and a honor to do music for this version too. Now the issue is I've been missing a lot in the community (been 8 years) and I don't remember how to use the tools, where to get them etc (shikadi.net might help). This information might be easy to gather, don't really know (if someone has a tutorial or willing to share, please do), I will start with the coming new year. Willing to do music, willing to do graphics if needed, levels too! Unfortunately I don't know Assembly for the x86 nor the patching system Levelass made.

dr. Colossus, if you have a list of todos for the mod that you could share would be great, I am happy to help. :love

:dead2 :dead2 :dead2
Last edited by c64cosmin on Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:54, edited 1 time in total.
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

KosmynC64 wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 15:53 [...] I don't remember how to use the tools, where to get them etc (shikadi.net might help). This information might be easy to gather, don't really know (if someone has a tutorial or willing to share, please do) [...]
over here you can find a list of modding tools made by the community:
http://www.shikadi.net/keenwiki/Galaxy_Tools

and here is a detailed tutorial on how to mod Galaxy games:
http://www.shikadi.net/keenwiki/Keen_Ga ... y_Ceilick)

next to that you can post patch related questions over here:
https://keenmodding.org

happy modding!
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

I did a song for the Commander Keen 9 : The universe is Toast (Jotundra Mountains)
I just wanted to say that I really enjoyed that track. I'll be interested to hear what you might come up with for Keen 2, since none of the original games have a musical identity.

I'm a little rusty myself on IMF music conversion since I haven't touched it much in the last two years. But, the two tools I used for conversion were IMFCreator (560 tics for Keen, that number will always stick in my head) and MIDI2IMF. Both tended to produce very different sounding results, with some tracks sounding better in one than the other. MIDI2IMF was generally trickier to use because it required using a command line interface, and, IIRC, it required manually specifying certain command line arguments like /chunk. However, the results it produced were generally closer to how the track would actually sound in-game compared to IMFCreator's preview, which could sometimes sound drastically different from the in-game result. IMFCreator could also be a little glitchy and crash or produce errors, especially if you forgot to unstop a song that finished playing. Also, IMFPlayer is a pretty helpful utility for previewing how the track will sound in-game after the IMF has been generated.

K1n9_Duk3 is the author of MIDI2IMF and IMFPlayer. He could probably answer questions you have about those tools as well. There's also lots of good information on the MIDI2IMF wiki page: http://www.shikadi.net/keenwiki/MIDI2IMF

I spent many, many hours fiddling with instruments and trying to fix dropped notes and audio glitches in the tracks for Atroxian Realm and The Alphamatic. It might be something I could offer assistance on if needed. I definitely recommend keeping music files on the simpler end, without a lot of layering and simultaneous notes playing.
Armageddon Begins Again. The Alphamatic has arrived.

Atroxian Realm: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3536
The Alphamatic: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4086
c64cosmin
Vortininja

Post by c64cosmin »

Happy New Year every one!!!
Nisaba wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:42 [...]
happy modding!
That resource is great, been missing to the scene and I see it is easier to go modding Galaxy games nowadays, woot for 2020! I downloaded IMFCreator as it seems to be able to let me patch the instruments. I was reading this Adlib Documentation here and actually wanted to start writing my own OPL3 tracker, but that is too time wasteful, it seems like IMFCreator is capable to do more than 90% of what I understand out of the IMF capabilities.
Thank you Nisaba for the time and the links, I will start playing with some music after this post.
Gridlock wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 23:21
I did a song for the Commander Keen 9 : The universe is Toast (Jotundra Mountains)
I just wanted to say that I really enjoyed that track. I'll be interested to hear what you might come up with for Keen 2, since none of the original games have a musical identity.
Wow, thanks a lot! I hope for this episode to be have a more Vanilla flavour for the music. That song was done using MIDI2IMF and I remember not having too much control over the sound, IMFCreator will help a lot, being able to let me patch the instruments. I plan on playing a bit with Keen 2 and the Keen 2 Galaxy mod, the first levels, get some inspiration and try something.
Gridlock wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 23:21Both tended to produce very different sounding results, with some tracks sounding better in one than the other.
[...]
I spent many, many hours fiddling with instruments and trying to fix dropped notes and audio glitches in the tracks for Atroxian Realm and The Alphamatic. It might be something I could offer assistance on if needed. I definitely recommend keeping music files on the simpler end, without a lot of layering and simultaneous notes playing.
I will try to use both software and compare to see what sounds nicer. Having more experience writing music, I hope that it will help :dead2.

Thank you so much! I will keep you folks posted.

:begging
Last edited by c64cosmin on Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:45, edited 1 time in total.
c64cosmin
Vortininja

Post by c64cosmin »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6ydv3V ... e=youtu.be

Here is a tease. I will make the other songs too, but first I need to play the levels to get some inspiration.
DarkAle
Vorticon Elite

Post by DarkAle »

Is this mod still in development or is finished? :confused