Foray in the Forest (development thread)

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
Nisaba
Vorticon Elite

Re: Foray in the Forest (development thread)

Post by Nisaba »

just wanted to let you guys know, that things are progressing nicely. there is still some work to do. but I am proud to announce that most of the heavy lifting seems to be done. big shoutouts to K1n9_Duk3!

"We have come to conquer you all and bring you lots of candy!" | about me | my current project: play Keen mods on a GameBoy |

DarkAle
Vortininja

Post by DarkAle »

Do you think it will be released on Keen Day? :D
Commander Keen in... Robot Attack!
Episode 13 viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6802
Episode 14 in development viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6837

c64cosmin
Vortininja

Post by c64cosmin »

Nisaba wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 16:16
just wanted to let you guys know, that things are progressing nicely. there is still some work to do. but I am proud to announce that most of the heavy lifting seems to be done. big shoutouts to K1n9_Duk3!

I see you write C code, do you patch these in the original game? I am baffled a bit.
Excuse my lazyness, but I am super curious what are you doing here.
Did you write a game from scratch or the community managed to patch in compiled ASM?

K1n9_Duk3
Vorticon Elite

Post by K1n9_Duk3 »

Foray in the Forest is primarily based on the source modding package that Lemm put together a few years ago. This source modding package is basically a combination of the Keen Dreams and Catacomb 3-D source code with some disassembling and reverse-engineering work based on Keen 4-6. Some parts of the source modding package have been taken from the Omnispeak project and ported back to DOS. Search the forum and/or the KeenWiki if you want to learn more about it.

Yes, this mod is written mostly in C with some assembly here and there. No CKPATCH involved whatsoever. We're compiling a Borland C(++) project, just like id Software did when they made the original Keen games. We didn't really write a game from scratch, but large parts of the AI code are indeed written from scratch. We have "imported" a few Keen 4 enemies, but even those have been altered a bit. The engine has also seen some improvements.

If you're wondering what you can expect from this mod, think about this: Keen Dreams and Keen 4-6 are using basically the same engine, but the engine was a little more advanced when they made Keen 4-6. Our mod is based on a slightly more advanced version of the engine. You will see some new tricks.
Hail to the K1n9, baby!
http://k1n9duk3.shikadi.net

c64cosmin
Vortininja

Post by c64cosmin »

Thank you so much for the explanation. I guess I have better keywords to search around now thankfully, wow I am already blasted away, this is neat! I know some info about the timeline of the two engines, but that is mostly what is available on the surface on the forums or on youtube, I was oblivious to the fact that people used the KDreams source code to put together mods in this way. TBH this is no modding, this is like using a game engine to make a game entirely. Due to the compiling of the entire binary, literally there is no limit on what can be done. Kudos to you and the rest of the community. :love :drool

Also Merry Christmas! :christmas