PROPOSAL: Super Mario 64 ROM hack idea

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.

Would Commander Keen make a good theme for Mario game ROM hacks?

YES
83%
NO
17%

Total votes: 12

SamuraiClinton
Grunt

PROPOSAL: Super Mario 64 ROM hack idea

Post by SamuraiClinton »

:begging

You all heard about the Keen 64 project. But I was wondering about the idea of a total conversion of Super Mario 64 as a ROM image for an N64 emulator.

Just imagine if you could have commander keen jump into walls to go into Yorped up worlds and have the possibility of giving him the ability to swim since Mario swims in the original Mario 64 game.

The letter from Princess Peach could be swapped with a letter from the long beard guy from Keen 4.

Also, We could add Metal Keen to the fan-made game series since Metal Mario is in the original Mario 64.

Thwomp blocks could be swapped with mad mushrooms, goombas could be swapped with poison slugs.

What other ideas do you have for resource swapping on the ROM image?

Edit: The Dopefish can swap the fish that eats Mario.

:dopefish
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Yeah, good idea, though I'll have to downlad nintendo 64 emulator? Besides, who would contribute to this?
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Re: PROPOSAL: Super Mario 64 ROM hack idea

Post by KeenRush »

It could be cool, but can such a thing be done? And how easily?
SamuraiClinton wrote:The letter from Princess Peach could be swapped with a letter from the long beard guy from Keen 4.
I don't know about the letter as I don't know anything about Mario, but wouldn't Princess Lindsey suffice? :lindsey
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Yeah, that's the question, how can it be done?
Has it been done before (a total conversion of mario 64), I only know of Super Mario World Mods.

I haven't got any experience with 3D graphics, but I'd sure contribute graphics.
The only problem I see is: Is it possible to change the gameplay, so that there is a pogo stick or a raygun. If not I fear we could only make a new Keen Dreams 3D out of it.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Tom said in an interview he was sad when Mario 64 came out because it was exactly what he wanted TUIT to be like. As for the specifics on that, he didn't really say. I'm guessing a kind of hub system like Mario 64 has where you go to different worlds to beat a bunch of tasks or levels on each planet until you do everything that is required to unlock a bunch of other worlds to go to and keep doing this in succession until you've done enough to confront Mortimer in the lair of his Universe-Destroying Machine or something, and you'd have to destroy the machine before it destroys the universe, and then the Mortimer behind the machine's controls turns out to be an android dummy AGAIN and you find a note that says it was all a distraction to throw you off the trail of his plot to destroy the entire multiverse by going back to the beginning of time... and stopping time from beginning.

I rambled a little bit, didn't I? :foot

But as for the 3D stuff I'm not sure. Tom could have intended it to be 2D in the beginning and then 3D when they made marvels like Wolfenstein 3D. Anything modded to have Keen-stuff in it is a good idea as far as I'm concerned, no matter how unlike Keen it may be (after all it's not cannon, so it wouldn't upset anybody)
jonnyspeight
Vorticon Elite

Post by jonnyspeight »

yeah i think a 3D keen would be gr8!!! altho i'd love to know how it could be done
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

The closest thing I've seen them do is change the textures on Mario 64, but nothing outside of just texture switching. You can watch videos of it on YouTube (not showing how it's done though)

Here's a sample:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeLgqLHP ... re=related
tulip wrote: I haven't got any experience with 3D graphics, but I'd sure contribute graphics.
There's also 2D elements to 3D graphics, like concept art and textures.
jonnyspeight
Vorticon Elite

Post by jonnyspeight »

that was...interesting, to say the least
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

That guy, also did some 3D editing, these Spiders are custom creatures, and the floating eyeball as well.

This site seems to provide some rom hacking software:
http://www.tehskeen.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4978

It has "keen" in its url! If that isn't an omen. ;)
Image You crack me up little buddy!
jonnyspeight
Vorticon Elite

Post by jonnyspeight »

an omen indeed :eek weird
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

If you guys deem them to be of quality, I'll gladly donate my Keen 64 models to this cause. As you guys should know, they're all from Keen 1, but if guys need more Keen 4-sh stuff I can always make new models or edit the existing ones. They're very low poly (good for this game), the character models are already animated and they were even made with a N64-ish style in mind.

I just need to know the format and Milkshape 3D has a ton of file converters, so that shouldn't be a problem.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Does that mean you'll no longer work on Keen sixty four? :eek :eek :eek
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

No, not at all, Keen 64 will still continue and I don't see this project taking over Keen 64's goal, being that this a mod there's only so much you can put in place.

If it's alright with this project's leaders I'll just donate graphics, and of course I can always make new graphics, if need be.
jonnyspeight
Vorticon Elite

Post by jonnyspeight »

we do need more keen 3Ds, that 3D Keen Dreams was a milestone in the area!! and your keen 64 looks even better!!
SamuraiClinton
Grunt

Post by SamuraiClinton »

Well, this ROM hack could compete with Commander Keen 64.