Keen 8: Dead in the Desert

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
Arjak
Vortininja

Episode 9 Title Idea

Post by Arjak »

I like the title "Battle of the Brains," but if you don't, how does "Mortimer's Last Stand!" sound? ;)
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Yeah, you could put music from Led Zeppelin's "Achilles' Last Stand" into the game. That could work.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Arjak, I appreciate your comments in the Krodacia thread. "It's like Christmas '92 finally came." is probably the most flattering thing anyone could say of it. Right now I don't have plans to re-re(etc)fix Krodacia, probably won't either as I'd rather get Dead in the Desert done.

As far as the title of the last episode, I don't like "Mortimer's Last Stand" because it suggests that Keen is the clear victor. It'd be like naming episode 2 "The Earth was Saved" ;) Still, I'm open to title suggestions, not to say that people should throw whatever comes to mind at me, but if someone thinks they have a good idea go ahead and share.

And all this said, Commander Keen is barely on the periphery of my thoughts right now. When class gets out I'll get back to work on it maybe. Probably. Until then I'm only up for talk and suggestions.
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

Ceilick wrote:.........As far as the title of the last episode, I don't like "Mortimer's Last Stand" because it suggests that Keen is the clear victor. It'd be like naming episode 2 "The Earth was Saved" ;) Still, I'm open to title suggestions, not to say that people should throw whatever comes to mind at me, but if someone thinks they have a good idea go ahead and share.........
Actually, I liked Battle of the Brains for the final title of your TUIT trilogy. Since the difference of 1 IQ point has been the focal point of their rivalry, seeing who has the better brain seemed fitting for their final battle. However, since you have established that you do not like the name after all, I guess I will just have to come up with some suggestions.

Patrick
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

It's funny how right after I say I'm not going to work on it until schools out....I go right ahead and work on it.

Anyway, a result of Arjak's enthusiasm, I got the first level mostly functional. A lot of graphics are done for furnishing the desert levels, this video demo shows off most of them. Still more to do, but the desert portion of the game is more complete than incomplete at this point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-hscYhlsKo
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Looks great, dude. :) I especially like the 'pogoing' snakes, as I've probably mentioned already somewhere, but this was the first time I saw them in motion.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Dynamo
Vorticon Elite

Post by Dynamo »

Looking forward to this mod, hope to see it released soon. Keep up the good job!
_mr_m_
Vortimaestro

Post by _mr_m_ »

I joined this forum just so I could say "Thank you!" for Keys of Krodacia.

I didn't know about it until a few months ago -- I found it by chance on a keen wiki!

I was so blown away by it, right from when I started Blue Forest, to the end screens!

When I showed my sister the game, she initially thought id actually continued the series and put out a new Keen game!

I've been playing the Keen series since I was 5, and I'm now 20.
I once dabbled in Keen modding on the Galaxy series, but couldnt get very far using the TED5 editor.

By the way, in the video you recently put up for Dead in the Desert, when Keen collects those water flasks (it's what they look like anyway), do I see Standard Galactic Alphabet for H2O appearing?

Can't wait to find out what happens next in Dead in the Desert!
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

By the way, in the video you recently put up for Dead in the Desert, when Keen collects those water flasks (it's what they look like anyway), do I see Standard Galactic Alphabet for H2O appearing?
That you do, I was hoping someone would notice :) As trivial as it is, its one of my favorite things in the mod :crazy

Glad you liked the Key of Krodacia, make sure you've got the latest version as its got new music: viewtopic.php?t=566
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Well woah! Looks pretty good. Feels more like Keen 4. And those vitals looks like one ups. Great work so far!
jonnyspeight
Vorticon Elite

Post by jonnyspeight »

that video looks brillianty, keep up the good work...please :begging
Time's Wasting And Evil Doesn't Thwart Itself
MM
Grunt

Post by MM »

may I use the promo picture for my article?? I'm really excited about the announcement. I really enjoyed Keen7.
ZidaneA
Shikadi Master

Post by ZidaneA »

Ceilick wrote:It's funny how right after I say I'm not going to work on it until schools out....I go right ahead and work on it.

Anyway, a result of Arjak's enthusiasm, I got the first level mostly functional. A lot of graphics are done for furnishing the desert levels, this video demo shows off most of them. Still more to do, but the desert portion of the game is more complete than incomplete at this point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-hscYhlsKo

Holy pogostick!
I cannot say this is like Christmas '92 since I was born that year, but I can image.

Oh, I so want to play this now :dead
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Sure, MM, you can use the promo, I'm honored to be included :)
Oh, I so want to play this now :dead
I hear ya my friend, hopefully only a few months wait :)
HoboRed
Vortininja

Post by HoboRed »

[quote="_mr_m_"]I joined this forum just so I could say "Thank you!" for Keys of Krodacia.

I didn't know about it until a few months ago -- I found it by chance on a keen wiki!

I was so blown away by it, right from when I started Blue Forest, to the end screens!

When I showed my sister the game, she initially thought id actually continued the series and put out a new Keen game!

I've been playing the Keen series since I was 5, and I'm now 20.
I once dabbled in Keen modding on the Galaxy series, but couldnt get very far using the TED5 editor.

Can't wait to find out what happens next in Dead in the Desert![/quote]

Well give it some more dedication!
RIP Eduard Khil