Keen 8: Dead in the Desert

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Woah! Actual screens from your next mod! Yeah wooks amazing!
But I have some questions.
Why does Keen looks soo annoyed?
Don't you think that those canyons looks too real to fit the Keen universe?
And my complain is about the name "Dead in the desert". Could you think of something else?

Overall great job and keep it up!
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Iv4n wrote:Why does Keen looks soo annoyed?
I don't think he looks annoyed, he looks exhausted because of the unbearable heat of the planet.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Fixed my spelling :p and updated the titlescreen. The rock looks much nicer, not sure about the text, tried a couple textures but ended up just recoloring it.

Keenrush: got the slopes idea from Xky's keen4 tileset. I actually havent even been able to test their functionality, but they were too cool to leave out :o

Tulip: I did base the rocks in the lower right screen off a photo, made the image 16 colors, shrunk, then ended up redrawing a lot of it.

Iv4n: Answering your questions:

I was hoping to make Keen look tired, beat, exhausted, etc. As the story goes, he's been stranded on this desert planet and he's been wondering around awhile trying to find a way off.

I'm not sure about the canyons looking too real, but I may end up redrawing them in a manner similar to the title screen. I'm just worried this might not allow for the same illusion of 'distance'.

The title 'Dead in the Desert' is meant to reflect what happens to Keen should he fail, similar to episode two "The Earth Explodes". I'm open to suggestions to other titles that reflect Keen's need for survival on the planet, but until then this one is sticking.

Thanks everyone for the feedback, really appreciate it :)
jimmyjames
Vortininja

Post by jimmyjames »

Looks awesome! I was hoping for another Ceilick mod!
Forget it.
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

Ceilick- I think everything looks really cool and Keenish. The Keys of Krodacia is my favorite mod. I cannot wait for Dead in the Desert. For the moment I think everything is fine the way it is, especially the episode name. I think Dead in the Desert is a fitting name, because I am sure that was Mortimer's intention when he sent Keen there. He sent him there to die. Good work, Ceilick! Once your project is finished, I cannot wait to see the Newbs' leader, "The Dude"! :punk
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Heh, thanks, you can actually already see "The Dude" over at keen modding http://www.keenmodding.org/viewtopic.php?t=1113
Shadow Master
Lord of the Shikadi

Post by Shadow Master »

Nice to see you didn't give up that title screen you showed me after all. ;)
Mink
Vortininja'd

Post by Mink »

I'm really glad you've resumed work on this, Ceilick. "Keys of Krodacia" has been my favorite mod.
It's nice that you've chosen some different areas and backgrounds for levels instead of all plain desert. I really like the red mountain area.
I can't wait!
jonnyspeight
Vorticon Elite

Post by jonnyspeight »

krodacia is the best mod EVER!!!! cant wait for this one, only a few pics and it looks brilliant
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

I've run into a small problem concerning the zigzagging (or stacked, which ever term you prefer) platforms. As it is, Keen can only 'down jump' through flat flooring. This makes these new types of platforms a problem because, as Keen will be climbing large series of them, he'll have a hard time getting back down, as he can't down jump on the diagonal flooring.

Should I remove this new type of platform completely or structure it so there are plenty of flat pieces in it to jump down from?

As I'm fairly concerned with maintaining a level of 'professionalism' with this mod (on par with the original games), the the inability to down jump on the slants bothers me quite a bit, especially since whole levels would consist of them. This is enough for me to take them out, but what are your thoughts?
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

I think it's definitely a cool feature, at least I'm looking forward to run a few of those! Either make some flat areas, or then make the level(s) using them so that Keen goes up using them but drops down via some shaft (in case he has to return down) or some other route.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
KeenEmpire
Intellectuality

Post by KeenEmpire »

I like "Dead in the Desert."
"In order to ensure our security, and continuing stability, the Kingdom has been reorganized into the First Vorticon Intellectuality!" Image
KeenEmpire
Intellectuality

Post by KeenEmpire »

Random comment: If it's possible and fits well with your plans, perhaps you should consider putting in multiple endings. Surely there is more than one way out of the desert.
"In order to ensure our security, and continuing stability, the Kingdom has been reorganized into the First Vorticon Intellectuality!" Image
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Forgot to mention this earlier, but a second problem is that Keen can only travel upwards on the zigzag spots: the tileinfo works in such a way that keen can walk smoothly up one ramp and than turn around and up the other. He cannot, however, walk up a ramp, then walk back down. This problem can be fixed by making keen have to take a small jump to get onto the next path, but is it worth it?

Both this problem and the other seem reason enough to abandon the path type and instead just make a more creative cliff face involving regular platforms.
XkyRauh
Mortimer's RightHand Man

Post by XkyRauh »

It's no more a problem than the faked "inclines" we've had in other KeenMods which are actually just stairs with a sloped graphic over them. ;)

As long as you use the platform type creatively and in a way that does not interrupt gameplay flow, I doubt anyone will notice. :)

Besides, what you have so far looks magnificent! I really like the promo shot and old-style previews screen you've got going on. Kudos!