Keen 8: Dead in the Desert

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

Ceilick wrote:Right right, lot of mistakes, but easy to fix is what i meant. Still, i'd like to get everything right, so their will be a second round of betaing in case I missed anything.........
When your beta people are testing your mod, they are also testing all 3 difficulties correct?
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

My hope is that all three difficulties will be tested, but I think the only important one for testing is "hard"; if thats do-able, the rest are. I understand it should be tested otherwise though to make sure easy really is easy, and normal is normal compared to hard. In any case, I think i'm usualy pretty good about balancing number of enemies; which is the only significant difference in difficulty levels.
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

Ceilick wrote:My hope is that all three difficulties will be tested, but I think the only important one for testing is "hard"; if thats do-able, the rest are. I understand it should be tested otherwise though to make sure easy really is easy, and normal is normal compared to hard. In any case, I think i'm usualy pretty good about balancing number of enemies; which is the only significant difference in difficulty levels.
I agree. But it is cool that this mod will finaly (haha) be released!
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Syllypryde wrote:I agree. But it is cool that this mod will finaly (haha) be released!
:lol

Something I've been meaning to ask: What is everyone's take on including or not including a Keen6.exe? Personally, I don't really care, and I'm under the impression that ID (or whoever, formgem?) doesn't either. Should I include it in the final download?
Deltamatic
Vorticon Elite

Post by Deltamatic »

Everybody can just as easily wrestle with the moral implications themselves and choose to or not to download it. But in order for a sane person to download it without the .exe, they would already have it. And we're Keeners so most of us have it. And non-Keeners, who don't have it, won't install it in the first place.
This is more complicated than I thought it was when I started typing.
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

Ceilick wrote:Something I've been meaning to ask: What is everyone's take on including or not including a Keen6.exe? Personally, I don't really care, and I'm under the impression that ID (or whoever, formgem?) doesn't either. Should I include it in the final download?
Legal or illegal, most Keeners have Keen6.exe already, so it does not really matter whether or not you decide to include it in your package. Honestly, I really do not think the "powers that be" could care less.
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

The thing is, I've noticed that with The Keys of Krodacia a lot more than just the Keen Community are playing it. For most people who are new to keen or are returning to it after remembering it in their youth, The Keys of Krodacia is likely the first mod they play, not because it's a galaxy mod, but simply because it has "The Universe is Toast" tacked onto it.

My worry is: If that was true of the Keys of Krodacia that had a keen4exe, the same is likely for Dead in the Desert. This is a problem for two reasons: Many people (myself often included) fail at reading readme's and won't know what to do even if they have a keen6.exe on their computer. Others won't have one and will go looking for one, either from me or the keen community. In either case, I'm not particularly interested in receiving emails about it, and I doubt the community wants a topic for it to turn up every so often.

That's my excuse for doing it, but i'm still unsure.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

I say go ahead. (Hey it's you breaking the law, not me.) My mod will have a... rather definite extraction process that will make SURE people do it right.
My hope is that all three difficulties will be tested, but I think the only important one for testing is "hard"
Just wondering, you do realize that the Nospikes don't appear at all in any way, shape or form in easy, right?
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Incorrect: there isn't an icon for them in the sprite menu, but all enemies are possible in all settings. The nospike, for instance, can be selected to appear on easy if you use the blank image to the left of the medium nospike setting in hte sprite list.

This is true in all keens, i'm not sure why some enemies don't have a easy or hard difficulty icon, but they are in fact there, just no image to mark them :)
kinget
Grunt

Post by kinget »

This is really good news! :)
I thought that the betatesting would take like 2 months.

I guess this is too soon to ask, but will there be a 9th installment aswell?
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

but will there be a 9th installment aswell?
Ooh, the Battle of the Brains :crazy It should be epic, if Ceilick ever has the time/resources/motivation to work on it :)

I could easily imagine Keen moving trough some dark, gloomy space-station in the dark side of the universe :p
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

Grimson wrote:Ooh, the Battle of the Brains :crazy It should be epic, if Ceilick ever has the time/resources/motivation to work on it :)

I could easily imagine Keen moving trough some dark, gloomy space-station in the dark side of the universe :p
I think maybe we should wait until DITD is out and people get the chance to play it before we expect Ceilick to work on another sequel. In fact, maybe the man could use some rest.
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
kinget
Grunt

Post by kinget »

Syllypryde wrote:
Grimson wrote:Ooh, the Battle of the Brains :crazy It should be epic, if Ceilick ever has the time/resources/motivation to work on it :)

I think maybe we should wait until DITD is out and people get the chance to play it before we expect Ceilick to work on another sequel. In fact, maybe the man could use some rest.
Yeah you're right. After all, this is nonprofitable.
But hey, I would gladely salute properly and transfer some cash to our king via paypal :)
Deltamatic
Vorticon Elite

Post by Deltamatic »

Ceilick's royalty? Remind me to only address him as "His Majesty". :p
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

kinget wrote:But hey, I would gladely salute properly and transfer some cash to our king via paypal
This is kind of ridiculous :rolleyes I appreciate the compliments and all, but there is a limit.

I'd like to do a final for my series, hopefully it will happen. Any information on it can be found in this thread where I mentioned it.