Keen 8: Dead in the Desert

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Reading Ceilicks post, modding sounds like a piece of cake! :p Enjoy your trip! I would say combining your trip with keen would be the best! Inspiration and relaxing at the same time + keen. :p
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

So everything is done for the Keen8, just the musics remained.
Am I right?
And do you really make new exit and entering sounds _mr_m_?
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Oh and btw, if you're going on a trip with your laptop, it's a good idea to backup your work.
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

You talked to me?
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Of coures! ...not.
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Levels are now complete :)

A bit of patching is still left to do, and I may spend some extra work on some tidbits for levels (I'm going to tree to make some cactuses that Keen can climb, similar to the Keen 6 trees. We'll see how it goes; i've never been a fan of tree levels like this though.)

Quicksand is unfortunately a no go; firstly because it's a real pain to animate sand to give it the quicksand effect, and theres an annoying memory limit for how many animating tiles per level.

As soon as the patching is completed and the rest of the music is composed, I'll be sending it to the beta testers. Depending on their findings and comments, expected is within the month or early next :)
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

Hello Commander Keen community! I just passed by and noticed the excellent news (yeah...I must be a bit late, but whatever :D)...

I really hope you finish this project, Ceilick. I played your previous mod (Keen 7) and it was like an official Keen game to me. Keep up the good work!
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
Dynamo
Vorticon Elite

Post by Dynamo »

Ceilick wrote:Levels are now complete :)

A bit of patching is still left to do, and I may spend some extra work on some tidbits for levels (I'm going to tree to make some cactuses that Keen can climb, similar to the Keen 6 trees. We'll see how it goes; i've never been a fan of tree levels like this though.)

Quicksand is unfortunately a no go; firstly because it's a real pain to animate sand to give it the quicksand effect, and theres an annoying memory limit for how many animating tiles per level.

As soon as the patching is completed and the rest of the music is composed, I'll be sending it to the beta testers. Depending on their findings and comments, expected is within the month or early next :)
I have one question: Did you choose the beta testers already or is there a way to become one? I'll gladly check the mod out, I consider myself kinda good at finding bugs.
Grimson wrote:Hello Commander Keen community! I just passed by and noticed the excellent news (yeah...I must be a bit late, but whatever :D)...

I really hope you finish this project, Ceilick. I played your previous mod (Keen 7) and it was like an official Keen game to me. Keep up the good work!
KANE LIVES! : P
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

KANE LIVES!
Hah hah, true that :lol
I have one question: Did you choose the beta testers already or is there a way to become one? I'll gladly check the mod out, I consider myself kinda good at finding bugs.
Yeah I would like to volunteer as well. I haven't modded Keen games or anything, but I consider myself pretty good at playing the levels (I tend to rummage trough every possible nook to see if there's a secret passage).
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
Deltamatic
Vorticon Elite

Post by Deltamatic »

Ceilick wrote:Quicksand is unfortunately a no go; firstly because it's a real pain to animate sand to give it the quicksand effect, and theres an annoying memory limit for how many animating tiles per level.
Ach. Such a shame. That would've been a pretty nifty hazard.
Great news about the levels! If my main computer wasn't down I'd play through Keys of Krodacia (sp?) to get revved up for it.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Aren't you making the levels too fast? I mean this eventually may lead to similar levels without much details.
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Already have my beta testers picked out, sorry guys.
Iv4n wrote:Aren't you making the levels too fast? I mean this eventually may lead to similar levels without much details.
Thats possible; the levels aren't similar in my opinion, but I'll leave that to the beta testers to decide ;)
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

Ceilick wrote:Thats possible; the levels aren't similar in my opinion, but I'll leave that to the beta testers to decide ;)
Is KeenRush one of your playtesters? I am sure he will let you know if your levels are "mental-wimpized"! :mortlol
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Haha, nope, Keenrush gets to be one of the lucky one's to play the finished project (Im assuming lucky; hopefully its that good ;) ).

Beta Testers are Iv4n, Arjak, Mink, and Mr. M.

Syllypryde, I was very close to choosing you for a tester, but one thing held me back: I'd much rather read your reaction and comments on the finished product :)
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

Ceilick wrote:Haha, nope, Keenrush gets to be one of the lucky one's to play the finished project (Im assuming lucky; hopefully its that good ;) ).

Beta Testers are Iv4n, Arjak, Mink, and Mr. M.

Syllypryde, I was very close to choosing you for a tester, but one thing held me back: I'd much rather read your reaction and comments on the finished product :)
I feel flattered that you were considering in having me for a tester. In a way though, I am glad you did not. As much as I would have liked to be one of the few people to see the game before the rest of the Keen community, I would much rather play the finished product. Playing the game with bugs (if there are any) would somewhat ruin my perspective on the finished game. Considering how much you have evolved as a modder since your first mod, I do not think I will have to worry about DITD being crap. Whether or not it lives up to or exceeds TKOK remains to be seen, but I am sure I will enjoy your mod nonetheless. If you have put in the same time and effort you did for TKOK, then I have no doubt it will be great.

Patrick

I still cannot make it past those damn Krodacian Magi on hard...!!!
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees