Help Im New Can Someone help

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
Davidvin2387
Grunt

Help Im New Can Someone help

Post by Davidvin2387 »

Hi so im new to the site i love the keen games. I would like to know how do i open an level pack ? and are these levels completely new ? and are there any moded keen games that are currently being made by more then one person like a group development? Thanks much.
Long Live Keen! This site is heaven!
Genius314
Vorticon Elite

Post by Genius314 »

To play a level pack:

1. Make a copy of the game that the levelpack is for (e.g. Keen 1)
2. Copy the files from the levelpack into the Keen folder that you just made a copy of, so that the new files replace the old.
3. Play Keen as you would normally, and the levels should have changed.

Mods are pretty much the same, except usually you have to run a ".bat" file rather than the regular Keen exe (the name of the bat file changes from mod to mod, usually named after the mod, like "XkyKeen1.bat," or they use a name like "run.bat").

Usually the levels are completely new, although not every level pack changed every level.

Also, not a lot of mods are/were made by more than one person. I know Levellord/Levellass has helped finish a few abandoned mods. There's also the Keen Community Mod, which was, unfortunately, never finished.

Hope that helps.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Generally if you like to play a Keen 1-3 levelpack you just have to overwrite the levels in your keen directory with the new ones, then start keen as usual.
If its a Keen1 mod then all the files should be provided. Just run the .bat file to play it. Keen2 and 3 mods normally don't have the .exe file, so just put Keen2.exe (Keen3.exe for keen3 mods) in the mod directory and then run the .bat file (It's important to run the game through the bat file).

ChargingMoose's Keen4 level can be loaded like a keen1-3 level pack. Others like the shifted one level are run with the go4.bat (or go5.bat...)

There is currently a mod in production by me, with the help of shikadi. The graphics were done a while ago by Ceilick. Why'd you ask? Do you want to help?

Edit: ah you posted the same time as me...
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Genius314
Vorticon Elite

Post by Genius314 »

tulip wrote:Edit: ah you posted the same time as me...
Mine was a minute earlier, so I win!! :p
jonnyspeight
Vorticon Elite

Post by jonnyspeight »

davidvin, this is what we get up to :p
Time's Wasting And Evil Doesn't Thwart Itself
Davidvin2387
Grunt

Post by Davidvin2387 »

Thanks that helped alot. I use Dosbox to open my dos games. And as to Moding keen games i havnt thought about it i think its very interesting and i am inlove with the fact that keen is continueing, i dont know how to program and am not very much of an artist sooo i dont know how i might be able to help. i certainly will lookin to trying anyway though as i see there are tools to help me. one question though why is the game called a mod if its a whole new set of maps and it is just useing the same engine from keen 1 and 2 while when they made the game along time ago it was a whole new "chapter" as they liked to call it? Also had tom hall ever stoped by? and i am pretty sure i have seen posts along time ago saying that the people with the rights to keen tryed to stop people from making the game, but seeing as this is a non profit game there should be no reason for them to even care.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

The term "mod" here in Keening is from the word "modification" I guess. Although KeenRush called his first mod a "total conversion". This is not to be mistaken as a "mod" in the sense of say a "Diablo II mod", where "mod" stands for "module" I believe.

Go on and try modding. Best start with Vorticons modding, and you'll see it's not that big a deal.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Davidvin2387
Grunt

Post by Davidvin2387 »

We could Just say that there the next unoffical game
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

Mod is an universally accepted term for modifications by now, plus it'd be strange to say that there are a few hundred "unofficial sequels". Plus they're not always sequels. :)
Wow look at me I'm lurking
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

tulip wrote:The term "mod" here in Keening is from the word "modification" I guess. Although KeenRush called his first mod a "total conversion". This is not to be mistaken as a "mod" in the sense of say a "Diablo II mod", where "mod" stands for "module" I believe.
At the time there really wasn't Keenized terminology for them, and I (very stoopidly) thought TC was a better word. :o But my opinion changed soon after.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Davidvin2387
Grunt

Post by Davidvin2387 »

one last thing where are the level packs or are they all scaterd in diffenrt peoples posts?
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

Davidvin2387 wrote:one last thing where are the level packs or are they all scaterd in diffenrt peoples posts?
The best place to find levelpacks is probably still here:
http://www.dosclassics.com/downloads.php?cat=0&subcat=5
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

Don't forget the Bipship!
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

DaVince wrote:Don't forget the Bipship!
Haha, I know, that's my site! I didn't mention it because it is currently lacking in the levelpack and fangame departments.
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

Hey, I've been using it to get the right Keen episodes and a bunch of episodes recently. Plus you're moving over all those from dosclassics too, right?

Keep up the great work. :)