Episode Smile!

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
tulip
Flower Pot

Episode Smile!

Post by tulip »

I made it! I just played through the notorious "hardest" mod without cheating.

(Well I cheated a little, but only because the last level is so damn long, and its all too annoying to have to do the whole thing again when you died.)

Has anyone else played through it?

All I can say is that it's not as hard as I thought, only the last two levels are a killer, because they're damn long, and the only ones where you could die unfairly by a monster.
The rest of the mod is one of the fairest I've ever played. Every time I died it was my own fault. All in all this is one of the greatest mods I've ever seen.
The levels are brilliantly designed, you really have to plan how you're going to beat it. And there's not a single bug, as far as I can see. (Well I didn't need that key I got on the other side of the white door.)

I can only recommend all of you to try to play this mod, don't be scared, it's worth it.

A true work of a Keenius.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Re: Episode Smile!

Post by Syllypryde »

tulip wrote:I made it! I just played through the notorious "hardest" mod without cheating.........

.........I can only recommend all of you to try to play this mod, don't be scared, it's worth it.

A true work of a Keenius.
You are definitely a better Keen player than I am. I literally tried all 16 levels. 3 hours later, I could not get past one single level! In fact, in 13 of the 16 levels I died a good 15-20 seconds into the levels! For the next 4 days for a new hours each day I tried again and could not finish a single level! I did this same thing with A New Dope, except I did beat the very first level. Other than that, after hours upon hours, days upon days, I could not beat 31 of the 32 levels in both games combined! Finally, I gave up!

Do not get me wrong, KeenRush did an excellent job on both of these mods. I really enjoy the graphics and the replacements in each mod. Unfortunately, they are both too fricken hard! Games are supposed to be fun, but I do not find either of these games fun at all, because dying almost immediately practically in every level to me is frustrating, tedious, and most of all, it enrages me! Any game that literally makes me want to throw my laptop across the room, then go outside and suckerpunch random people is not my idea of fun!

Obviously, I need some serious practice. I will stick to the other mods on my computer for now. Once I have completed all of them (including Galaxy official games, mods and levelpacks on hard!) then I will try Episode Smile and A New Dope again. Once I have tuned up my Keening skills on other games, maybe I will fair better on KeenRush's mods, not to mention Keen Q, which I also find to be ridiculously hard! I am sure in time, with practice, not to mention some patience, I will be able to one day complete both of those mods. :dead

Patrick
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Genius314
Vorticon Elite

Post by Genius314 »

I beat A New Dope, which was much easier for me than Smile. (Also, I beat AND (woaahh... crazy abbreviation!) without dying. There's exactly 314 IQ points in the game)

I still haven't gotten past the first couple of levels in Smile.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Congratulations tulip! ;) And thanks guys, especially tulip, it's a great pleasure to hear such appraising words. I may add you now the List. ;) There are already me, the guy who made Keen Q (sorry I forgot the name), his brother (whose name I can't remember, either), Levellord, and -- but can't be 100% sure -- Levellass. Maybe I forgot someone (because I keep it only in my head).

As for A New Dope, it's meant to be much easier than Smile. In fact it's meant to be a fun mod to play, but obviously that didn't work out too well. :o

Damn, I really have to get working on my current project 'again' (since I haven't stopped it, just been sooo lazy)! :garg
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

KeenRush wrote:Congratulations tulip! ;) And thanks guys, especially tulip, it's a great pleasure to hear such appraising words. I may add you now the List. ;) There are already me, the guy who made Keen Q (sorry I forgot the name), his brother (whose name I can't remember, either), Levellord, and -- but can't be 100% sure -- Levellass. Maybe I forgot someone (because I keep it only in my head).

As for A New Dope, it's meant to be much easier than Smile. In fact it's meant to be a fun mod to play, but obviously that didn't work out too well. :o

Damn, I really have to get working on my current project 'again' (since I haven't stopped it, just been sooo lazy)! :garg
Joriz I believe is Keen Q's creator. As for his brother's name I have no idea. Like I said, you did a good job on both mods. Maybe someday my Keen skills will be a little more formidable.
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
matonen
Vortininja

Post by matonen »

Keen Q's creator? Wasn't it Grelphy?

Also, congratulations on beating the probably hardest mod ever! :)
I only got past like, 3 first levels :(
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Yep, KeenQ is from Joritz (otherwise known as Ezjay), and his brother is Karz (who made Hiding from the Sky, which is by the way a great mod thats easy to play).
You made a list in your head, that's cool. I somehow do that with my mods too, although I have no idea how many have played my mods. I guess everybody does with his own mods.
Mink
Vortininja'd

Post by Mink »

I still haven't completed either of these, although I did get past four levels in Smile. I think it's time to try A New Dope again.

I have to agree with you, Tulip, about the fairness. Whenever I die, I don't think it's an unfair death. I know I made a mistake and then try to improve for the next attempt. This lends Smile a very high re-playability factor; it's very gratifying to finally win a level you've been stuck on.

Also, "Keenius" is my new favorite word.
matonen wrote:Keen Q's creator? Wasn't it Grelphy?
I think Grelphy made Keen Y.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

To celebrate I just uploaded the levelmaps to KeenWiki and expanded the article on Smile.
I just discovered this sentence in the Helptext of Smile: "I hope the levels aren't too easy"
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Wow, thanks! Great to see them this way. :pumpkeen
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Damn, I'm garging excited! :D I've done an all new Keen sprite today, and usually I struggle months and months with the smallest of sprites. :crazy And I've made some new patches I need, and worked on the GUI parts too! Great day. This if anything gives me confidence A New Dope wasn't my last mod. :dopekeen
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

Mink wrote:.........I think Grelphy made Keen Y.
Grelphy is the creator of Keen Y. He has also done VOX 1-3 and a few 1 or 2 level levelpacks of the 1st two keen games.

Edit: KeenRush, which episode are you working on for your mod?
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
matonen
Vortininja

Post by matonen »

ah, got keenQ mixed with keen Y

sorry guys :o
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Keen 3. :disguised I have ideas I want to do but which didn't fit in AND (although most of them I didn't yet even think about at the time). But anyway, even if the platform is the same, this will have nothing in common with AND.
matonen
Vortininja

Post by matonen »

Keen3 mod? :)

Great! Looking forward to it. Dont rush, though.