The Lifewater Flask in ChargingMoose's first level

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
Quillax
Vorticon Elite

The Lifewater Flask in ChargingMoose's first level

Post by Quillax »

http://www.shikadi.net/keenwiki/Chargin ... _Levelpack

So, I played the very first modded Keen 4 level ever released a while ago, and it made me question something. There's a Lifewater Flask that is sitting right between two spikes. I've tried to get that bottle many times, but none of my attempts have been successful. :dead2 I know that it's possible for Keen to slip through vertical passages as thin as one tile, but it's seem very tricky to get him into that position in the air.

So I'm wondering, has anyone managed to get that Lifewater Flask without using any cheats? A recording would be cool. If it has not been proven at all, then maybe we have to update the KeenWiki.
Quillax Ship - Where you can download all of my cool, keen mods and super-marvelous fangames!
K1n9_Duk3
Vorticon Elite

Re: The Lifewater Flask in ChargingMoose's first level

Post by K1n9_Duk3 »

https://youtu.be/g-d3pAav2yk

It takes a lot of tiny adjustments (as well as saving and loading the game countless times) but it is possible. The biggest problem is that Keen's hitbox is 16 pixels wide, same width as a tile, so you would have to get him to a pixel-perfect position to land between the spikes. But the engine can't draw the sprites at pixel-perfect positions (everything moves in multiples of 2 pixels), so you can't even be sure if dropping down will kill you even if Keen's position looks okay on screen.
Hail to the K1n9, baby!
http://k1n9duk3.shikadi.net
Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Post by Quillax »

:O

Whoa, that was quick! Amazing! So it looks like you have to be exactly precise in order to get that item.
Quillax Ship - Where you can download all of my cool, keen mods and super-marvelous fangames!
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

yeah, I was confronted with this issue as well when I built Buried in Oblivion. Eventually I've found a solution to gain access to this tricky spot. I added a gap in the ceiling for the player to adjust the position of Keen's sprite.
like so:
out now (link) : Image
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

Nisaba wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 0:03 yeah, I was confronted with this issue as well when I built Buried in Oblivion. Eventually I've found a solution to gain access to this tricky spot. I added a gap in the ceiling for the player to adjust the position of Keen's sprite.
like so:
Wow, I never knew about that spot, thanks.
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees