Episode Dash.

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
Dynamo
Vorticon Elite

Episode Dash.

Post by Dynamo »

Hey there, sorry for the noob question, but I'm having problems with Episode Dash. The point is: I can't get it to run properly. Whenever I start it and try to go to the automap everything is fucl up and I can't go to any level... Then I thought "Hey in the readme somewhere there was written that I need to have the latest keen 3 version". So I went to dosclassics to download it, but apparently the link is dead... Is there anywhere else to download that patch? Or is there anything wrong that I'm doing when I start the game? Even if I followed exactly what the readme said?

I tried episode X and Null and I was very impressed. High quality mods. I would really like to give this one a try too... Thank you for your attention.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Do you know which version of the exe you already have? The chances are good it's 1.31 already. (Also, to say, I don't have the dosclassics patches, sorry. But you might not need them.) Have you remembered to unlzexe the exe? I don't think the readme mentions that, and it's something that has to be done! Write unlzexe keen3 in console, while being in the mod's directory. Then run one of the .bat files, such as Xky3easy.bat. Hopefully this solves the problem. :dopekeen
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Dynamo
Vorticon Elite

Post by Dynamo »

KeenRush wrote:Do you know which version of the exe you already have? The chances are good it's 1.31 already. (Also, to say, I don't have the dosclassics patches, sorry. But you might not need them.) Have you remembered to unlzexe the exe? I don't think the readme mentions that, and it's something that has to be done! Write unlzexe keen3 in console, while being in the mod's directory. Then run one of the .bat files, such as Xky3easy.bat. Hopefully this solves the problem. :dopekeen
Unfortunately I do not know, I can check if there's a way to see the version though.

No I don't think I have tried that... Well, just one thing, what console? : P Prompt of dos?

EDIT: Whoa what the... I tried to run unlzexe via prompt and it says "UNLZEXE VER 8.0
'KEEN3.exe not found'

But I have it in that folder...
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Yeah, Dos prompt. Now when I think about it, if you're using Vista, you probably have to run unlzexe via DosBox. I did so. I was speaking of old memory, as a few months ago I still ran it via the normal Dos promt...

No idea what could be wrong. :confused
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Dynamo
Vorticon Elite

Post by Dynamo »

KeenRush wrote:Yeah, Dos prompt. Now when I think about it, if you're using Vista, you probably have to run unlzexe via DosBox. I did so. I was speaking of old memory, as a few months ago I still ran it via the normal Dos promt...
I use XP, but I'm going to try to use dosbox.
KeenRush wrote:No idea what could be wrong. :confused
:[ Ok, well thank you very much for your help anyways.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Patches are on bipship:
https://pckf.rigeltechnical.com/viewtopic.php?t=21& ... sc&start=0 (scroll down to CKGuy's post)

I use vista, and there is no problem with UNLZEXE. I always make a batch file, and run that, then it usually works.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Dynamo
Vorticon Elite

Post by Dynamo »

tulip wrote:Patches are on bipship:
https://pckf.rigeltechnical.com/viewtopic.php?t=21& ... sc&start=0 (scroll down to CKGuy's post)

I use vista, and there is no problem with UNLZEXE. I always make a batch file, and run that, then it usually works.
Ok, Going to try now.

EDIT: Nope... Unlzexe still gives me the same error even though I put the updated keen3.exe in the folder. I really don't understand why people don't include keen.exes. I mean, I know it's illegal but come on, it's a 1991 game. ID software knows no one is ever going to buy it these times... Bah.

EDIT 2: Hey wait... It seems that even though the unlzsomething didn't work, the patched keen3.exe did, and the game now works properly. Thank you very much guys!