Secrets in Keen 2000

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Secrets in Keen 2000

Post by Quillax »

I was looking through the old CC314 and I found this page about Commander Keen 2000:

http://cc314.shikadi.net/oldcc314/ck2k.htm

Did you know that in some levels, hitting PgUp makes something happen, such as changing the music or revealing an item? I've been playing this game for a long time, and I've never EVER heard of this Easter egg! I have looked into the game using The Games Factory before, and I don't recall any events that have to do with PgUp! Not even KeenWiki mentions it.

Is this actually true? I cannot play Keen 2000 at the moment, so maybe someone else can verify for me. (I think I did see South Park kids when I used TGF to look into the game.) Also, that page claims that you can skip the Sparky boss by simply going right -- another thing I've never heard of.

Speaking of secrets, looking into the game with TGF has made me discover secrets that can be accessed in-game through passwords. There's a sound test that you can get to with "sndtest", although it's rather buggy (sometimes the wrong song will play). There's also a level that had like lots of points, but I'm not exactly sure what the password is. I think it's "ILUVYOU"?

It's amazing what you can find in a game, even over 10 years after you first played it!
Quillax Ship - Where you can download all of my cool, keen mods and super-marvelous fangames!
entropicdecay
Mad Mushroom

Re: Secrets in Keen 2000

Post by entropicdecay »

Just tried it out now. It does do things in some levels (like changing the music) and nothing in other levels.
Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Post by Quillax »

Wow, that sounds cool! I'll have to try that when I can play Keen 2000 -- this sure is a good excuse to do so!
Quillax Ship - Where you can download all of my cool, keen mods and super-marvelous fangames!
Zak6009
Grunt

Post by Zak6009 »

What I wanna know is HOW are you able to get Keen 2000 to work? I've tried to find a way and given up, I'm on windows 10.
Grandy02
Vortininja

Post by Grandy02 »

Zak6009 wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:33 What I wanna know is HOW are you able to get Keen 2000 to work? I've tried to find a way and given up, I'm on windows 10.
As far as I know, the situation hasn't changed since your 2019 thread. (You got a PM)
PCKF Archive - The Keen Community's Past (and Present) | grandy02.shikadi.net