Commander Keen 2.5D: The Quest for Spot's Collar

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Commander Keen 2.5D: The Quest for Spot's Collar

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?id=15708

Commander Keen 2.5D is - you guessed it - a game starring Commander Keen using the GZDoom source port! :D
I had the concept down for a while, but when Doombuilder II was released a couple weeks ago is when I really got cracking. This game promises all the same gameplay features of the Commander Keen games but in a first-person, immersive 2.5D environment (If you don't like the first-person view, you can just put it in chase mode :) ). Jump high, shoot lasers, pogo-it-up, collect points, but don't get hit or you're an instant goner! :dead And in lieu of multiplayer (which was a feature never seen in the official keen games) a new hero hits the scene in the form of Billy's annoying and over-excitable neighbor Marta! She has a pink stunner, moon shoes, and an IQ of 313.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

At the moment I'm pretty much polishing up the first levels for an alpha release. If I don't release it tomorrow, expect it on monday or sometime next week. One of the things I still need is sound-effects, particularly the more common ones such as jumping and shooting and grabbing powerups. I could probably record my own voice and warp it with goldwave for the aliens. It's important for it to sound at least somewhat keenish. It's possible I might end up releasing this alpha with no sound effects (But there's plenty of music, don't worry about that!)

Planned Features:
- A world map with a sky view to explore between levels similar to the original keen games (right now it's just a regular placeholder map to get from Map 1 to Map 3)
- 16 Maps, 2 of which are the World Map and the Bean With Bacon Megarocket, and one super-secret level with a delicious surprise :evil
- Support for Cooperative and Deathmatch play (but Keen and Marta can't change their colors at the moment)
- A dialogue system to talk to aliens
- A lives and points system
- TONS OF NEW ALIENS AND GRAPHICS! :dead2

Known Bugs:
- Once in a while the game totally gargs when using the pogo/moon shoes. I have no idea how to get around this. But it's only occasional, so just be careful when jumping around.
- Getting 100 fruits does not give you an extra life, it just stays at 100 and you can't get any more fruit :bloody
- Right now all the aliens only have a front-side angle. This isn't so much a "bug" as it is incompleteness. I'll finish them up someday (But some of them aren't even necessary)
- The pogo functions wonderfully on solid floor, but using it on top of objects will only give you a small pogo jump. This is because the pogo states are programmed to make you jump up when the difference between the player's z height and the floor beneath is zero, and because objects are above the floor, you are still above the floor when you land on them :dead2
-There's a spot on map 3 where the sky is drawn on the floor, even though I checked and it is not so on the map. I have no clue why it renders that way.

Billy Says: "You won't believe what happens in this episode!"
Last edited by VikingBoyBilly on Tue Jun 16, 2009 16:19, edited 4 times in total.
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Nice screens. I like the idea of the helmet frame in first person view.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

This gotta be one of the best Keen fan games I've ever seen. :eek Looks very unique, definitely going to give it a whirl.

Yeah, the helmet view is a good idea!
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Holy freaking garg, those screenshots look awesome! Totally looking forward to trying this! :drool
Bonevelous
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bonevelous »

The screens look very good. :) If you want you can ignore the newest comments I made; they have no revelation to modern existence because I had an epic fail at reading comments (accidentally skipped one of them), then I apologized and turned my comments into a song... Because I can. {iCan... New apple brand!! ^)^ [NEW EMOTE FORM!! Pablo Picasso smilies... :D ]}
Check out Flixxy the Fox: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6378

StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

I have no difficulty saying this is a million times better than my Keen Doom mod would have been if I'd finished it. :D I can already tell. I'm insanely excited to try this when it's released. I love the style of the graphics...it evokes something between Commander Keen and SMB 3.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

BTW StupidBunny just when are you going to send me that armored blooguard and shikadi you made for it (among whatever else) like you promised months ago? They don't exactly fit into the episode I'm making now but they might be perfect for part II (which will come out after duke forever probably)
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

Oh...sorry, I thought those resources were in the zip file I uploaded. :o I can send you all the sprites and also the textures/flats I made if you want. I can also send some incomplete ones although I'm not sure you'd want those... :P
ZidaneA
Shikadi Master

Post by ZidaneA »

Oh, holy pogo!
That looks so awesome, I might just eat the Stupendous Sandwich of Chungella IV myself!

Just a question.. Who made teh music?
Dynamo
Vorticon Elite

Post by Dynamo »

Looks awesome. You can ask me if you need any help, I would gladly help projects like this. I can't make new sprites though.
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

Wow! This looks pretty damn impressive. Nice work.

The stunner graphics look a bit awkward without being able to see the front of the gun. It looks more like Keen's running around with some kind of rattle toy.
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

That looks pretty awesome. It's good to see some quality-looking fangames emerge.

And could you please post bigger screens? It hard to see some things.
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

Looks pretty good.

About the helmet view thing: shouldn't the helmet rail at the bottom bend a bit more?
Wow look at me I'm lurking
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

CKeen666 wrote:Looks awesome. You can ask me if you need any help, I would gladly help projects like this. I can't make new sprites though.
If you're a good mapper (and evilstar very much indicates that you are), that's what I need the most and would be extremely cool :)
ZidaneA
Shikadi Master

Post by ZidaneA »

VikingBoyBilly wrote:
CKeen666 wrote:Looks awesome. You can ask me if you need any help, I would gladly help projects like this. I can't make new sprites though.
If you're a good mapper (and evilstar very much indicates that you are), that's what I need the most and would be extremely cool :)

Ey... Who made the music?