Commander Keen 2.5D: The Quest for Spot's Collar

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

Thanks, I took it down.

Sorry, I'm not interested in Doom (or mods of it), sorry. :(
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

eh heh heh :o when you said try the use switch button, I thought you ment the switch in his closet. I played again and talked to him this time. Making him look friendlier might have clued me in ;)
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

The picture on his wall looks friendly right?
Though I do admit it's not 100% identical to the real thing :o
and lol this screen was taken before I put glass in the windows :crazy
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Dynamo
Vorticon Elite

Post by Dynamo »

VikingBoyBilly wrote:If you're a good mapper (and evilstar very much indicates that you are), that's what I need the most and would be extremely cool :)
It would be an honour.

I'll check out the wad now and see how it works. I'll see if I can make a map for it. If you want to give me precise instructions about the map go ahead.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Yeah, right now I still need to make a lot more flats/textures for the environments (not to mention more aliens), but you can definately try with the textures that are there.

I have already pre-determined themes for the maps (although they are vague). If you look at the mapinfo in Q4CollarAlpha.pk3 and their titles, you can probably guess at what kind of environment they take place in. A couple of which are towns/cities with houses much like the one on the cliff in the demo level. Some of them are caves. One is completely underwater. One is a high-tech facility. One is on a beach, etc. I have some of the new flats drawn but they are obviously not included in the keendata you have :dopefish

I also want to use keygems to unlock areas as is the keen tradition. But I want it to be slightly different from Doom's key system in that you put the key on a pedestal and the door opens (think of placing the heart of D'Sparil on the pedestal in Hexen :dopefish)

Right now you can definately place powerups and the few enemies that exist. I just haven't made a sprite for the 1-up item yet :o

It's complicated, but I want A LOT of vertical movement and 3D floors. Doombuilder II makes this much easier to accomplish with it's new line drawing system but it can still consume hours of time when it gets really complex (see map 03 to see what I mean). Moving goplats are a centralizing aspect to this 3D vertical movement. They're shaped like octagons with sides of 32 length (adding up to an exact 64x64 tile on the map and cutting 16 pixels off each corner) and use the GOPLAT flat. Unfortunately, because the floor and ceiling of the goplat have to move up and down to certain positions, it can't be done with a single action special, so you have to resort to using ACS to make them move (unless I'm overlooking something that will make me look like an idiot :dead )

So for now look at the mapinfo and either post here or PM me which one you'd like to try first and I may give you a little bit of direction for it. And if you don't like whats there and have a suggestion for a different kind of level, that's cool too. I just don't want more than 16 maps (as more than that would make the project drag on for too long) so I'd axe one of them in favor for another :dopefish

Right now I'm programming the overworld map system. It looks pretty ugly at the moment but I'm pretty sure it will work :)
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Bumping this to show you guys that the classic world-map hub system is coming true for this game
You can enter and leave levels as you choose. All monsters and items respawn each time you visit a level and the game uses global variables to tell the world map to change based on things you do in the levels (because like the others, the map level is also completely re-initialized every time you enter it). Your position on the map is also recorded, so you will be spawned in the exact spot you previously were when you re-enter the map, which is very sexy :dopefish
As you can see though, I'll be having trouble getting keen's helmet and marta's hair out of the way, and the map will only look this pretty if the player makes the sprites x and y coordinated as you look at them from higher angles (it is y-oriented by default which makes everything look like nearly-invisible flat pieces of paper from above) :o
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Looking very cool :)
and the map will only look this pretty if the player makes the sprites x and y coordinated as you look at them from higher angles
I meant to say this earlier, but this reminds me, make sure you include detalied instructions on how to do this and how to get the game running in the first place ;)
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Very cool, yeah, and instructions are definetly a must.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
JoeCapricorn
Grunt

Post by JoeCapricorn »

Everything works really well! Easy difficulty, interesting ideas! I can't wait to see the final version!

Maybe it'll inspire me to get around to finishing Keen Doom, but it seems there are now several different Commander Keen Doom games coming out.

That's cool!

Let there be a next generation of Keen fans that make mods for Crysis with a Commander Keen theme... those would be cool ^_^
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

The world map is interesting -- great to see stuff like that hacked into Doom. :)
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Sslaxx
Grunt

Post by Sslaxx »

Makes me think of Sonic Robo Blast 2... that used a Doom port (not sure which one, though).
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

So... how do I run this GZoom thing? I can use the original Doom files to play a Doom-thingy, but how do I use these .PK3 files for the Spot's collar?
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

you use a command line to load them. i.e., "GZDOOM whatever.pk3 somethingelse.pk3 etcetera.pk3...". This is only necessary if you need to load multiple files though. I'm not sure if you can just drag and drop them.

Somewhere along the line WAD files got deprecated by pk3 files, which are basically the same thing but are designed for flexibility and is easier on the programmer. I won't bore you with the techno-jargon of differences :crazy
Sslaxx
Grunt

Post by Sslaxx »

VikingBoyBilly wrote:you use a command line to load them. i.e., "GZDOOM whatever.pk3 somethingelse.pk3 etcetera.pk3...". This is only necessary if you need to load multiple files though. I'm not sure if you can just drag and drop them.

Somewhere along the line WAD files got deprecated by pk3 files, which are basically the same thing but are designed for flexibility and is easier on the programmer. I won't bore you with the techno-jargon of differences :crazy
Not quite. PK3 files are in fact just ZIP files (as are, in fact, OpenOffice.org files).
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.
Dynamo
Vorticon Elite

Post by Dynamo »

Levellass wrote:So... how do I run this GZoom thing? I can use the original Doom files to play a Doom-thingy, but how do I use these .PK3 files for the Spot's collar?
Drag them into GZDoom.exe