Super Mario Brothers 1

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

To keep you update:

Warp zone 1 with 4 level is completely tested and done.
Working on the second world.
I'm thinking on the green pipe as a level entrance to everywhere,but the Bowser's castle is good for every 4th level.
And I want to hear people that how should I make the worldmap moreover(trees,plants,etc.)
Yeah, piece of cake!
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

Wait, you will fight Wario at Bowser's castle?
For the world map, I'd suggest some green plants (not flowers), some small pipes, trees, grass, and this kind of stuff.
The video looks nice!
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

haha, oh man, I was seriously thinking that you could grab the flagpole in the end. Playing this will make for some funny mistakes...
Btw, what CKeen was aiming at, I think, is that you shouldn't copy the levels exactly from super mario bros. Making world 1 the same as smb1 might be funny but after that it might get old, so I recommend making new original levels (using the smb graphics of course) later on in the game (the Zelda II mod also had original leveldesign btw)
Image You crack me up little buddy!
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

tulip wrote:haha, oh man, I was seriously thinking that you could grab the flagpole in the end. Playing this will make for some funny mistakes...
Btw, what CKeen was aiming at, I think, is that you shouldn't copy the levels exactly from super mario bros. Making world 1 the same as smb1 might be funny but after that it might get old, so I recommend making new original levels (using the smb graphics of course) later on in the game (the Zelda II mod also had original leveldesign btw)
Tulip:
1. I DON'T copy the levels at all, they looks like the original levels,but the game system is between Mario and Keen,just let you remember!
2. not exactly,
3. why don't you watch the demo?
4. you will see levels won't be the same as I say again,when i'm done
5. you haven't seen what i did,so don't say that i shouldn't copy the levels from there, BECAUSE NOT!
6. And in SMB1 there isn't worldmap at all.
Yeah, piece of cake!
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

Nospike wrote:Wait, you will fight Wario at Bowser's castle?
For the world map, I'd suggest some green plants (not flowers), some small pipes, trees, grass, and this kind of stuff.
The video looks nice!
Thanks. Yeah small pipes are great idea.

Btw, you will start the game,where you can see this sign: WELCOME TO THE WARP ZONE,and it will have 4 way(to 4 zone and their 4 levels).

And yes, you will fight against Wario.
Yeah, piece of cake!
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

This Image button exists for a reason.
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

Update again:
(Level entrances will be green pipes.)

Worldmap is almost done,i'll put more plants,too. I placed 10 level entrance. But i have a question: How can I place the other 6 level entrance? Because I use KeenWright, and for level 11,12,13,14,15 and 16 there is no more enemy sprite.(The yorp sprite means Level 1 for example.) What can I do?
Yeah, piece of cake!
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

Isn't there some sort of a "enter the sprite number manually" option?
Also, maybe you should consider using Mindbelt. It's stable, easy to use and has many useful tools.
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

Thanks, and with this I placed the 16 playable level on the worldmap.
Back to the level building.

Also, how should I solve the ending sequence? Should it be or is there a patch to disable the ending screen? So when I complete the game, GAME OVER after it.
Yeah, piece of cake!
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

I'd like a new ending sequence, and it's not that much work. Use the Neural Stunner by Mink for the ending sequence text, draw an ending picture and you're ready.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

Thanks. Now I can totally make my mod.

But where can I get it???
Yeah, piece of cake!
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

I've got a "no ending" patch. However, tulip's right, and the patch itself has got a flaw or two.
Since searching "neural stunner" on the Keen:Modding forums would be incredibly torturing and painful, I've uploaded it for you. GET EET! :)
Mink
Vortininja'd

Post by Mink »

Nospike wrote:Since searching "neural stunner" on the Keen:Modding forums would be incredibly torturing and painful, I've uploaded it for you. GET EET! :)
Wait what. Wouldn't just searching K:M for it be waaay easier than uploading it yourself?! Anyway, direct download without hassle of Mediafire: http://files.commanderkeen.org/users/mi ... nerv02.zip

This mod is looking pretty neat so far, Szemi. It would be cool if there's a patch (or a patcher to make said patch, hint hint) to remove that little pause before Keen's jump so that it wouldn't ruin the flow of Mario.
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

I've once tried searching for it, no results. If you actually can find it, you're a lucky person.
Mink
Vortininja'd

Post by Mink »

Well I should definitely be able to find it since I started it. :crazy