Help me get mods to work

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
Webster.Pastapali
Grunt

Help me get mods to work

Post by Webster.Pastapali »

Hello, i love Commander keen. It was a big part of my childhood and surely a large part of my present-day psyche. I’m going back and playing Keens 1-5 which I purchased on steam. I’d like to also play Ceilick’s Univere is Toast trilogy, Keen dreams and keen 6, and all the pckf community’s favorite full level replacement mods.

Last night I beat Keen 1, and as a prize, I downloaded version 1.7 of the Marooned on Mars mod that uses the keen 4 or 5 engine to recreate keen 1. I’m a bit computer illiterate. So, disclaimer there... but I downloaded, extracted the files, and it appeared on my desktop. When I clicked the file and tried to run the game, it said something about not being compatible with my windows, something about 64 bit—
I can’t imagine that my computer is incapable of running it. It’s a fairly new and sleek computer with a newer windows running on it.
Could I please get someone from the community to help walk me through this? Your help and patience would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Webster

DarkAle
Vortininja

Re: Help me get mods to work

Post by DarkAle »

Webster.Pastapali wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 13:47
Hello, i love Commander keen. It was a big part of my childhood and surely a large part of my present-day psyche. I’m going back and playing Keens 1-5 which I purchased on steam. I’d like to also play Ceilick’s Univere is Toast trilogy, Keen dreams and keen 6, and all the pckf community’s favorite full level replacement mods.

Last night I beat Keen 1, and as a prize, I downloaded version 1.7 of the Marooned on Mars mod that uses the keen 4 or 5 engine to recreate keen 1. I’m a bit computer illiterate. So, disclaimer there... but I downloaded, extracted the files, and it appeared on my desktop. When I clicked the file and tried to run the game, it said something about not being compatible with my windows, something about 64 bit—
I can’t imagine that my computer is incapable of running it. It’s a fairly new and sleek computer with a newer windows running on it.
Could I please get someone from the community to help walk me through this? Your help and patience would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Webster
You must load the .Bat file with Dosbox. Also my computer doesn't support the 64 bit, so I use Dosbox and it works
Commander Keen 13 viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6802
The Armageddon Continues:viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6979
Commander Keen 14 in development viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6837
My Keen 5 Levelpack viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6256

K1n9_Duk3
Vorticon Elite

Post by K1n9_Duk3 »

Okay, this is how I would do it:
  1. download and install DOSBox (your steam version should have come with DOSBox, so you could skip this step)
  2. hold down the windows key and press E to open the explorer
  3. if you don't know where to find dosbox.exe on your harddisk, open your harddisk (or "this PC") in the explorer window, press F3 (or CTRL+F) and enter "dosbox.exe" into the search field
  4. open the folder that contains your DOSBox.exe
  5. open up a new explorer window and navigate to the folder into which you have extracted your Keen mods
  6. arrange the windows side by side
  7. you can now drag and drop files or folders from one window onto(!) DOSBox.exe in the other window and DOSBox will automatically mount the file/folder and try to execute that program (if it was a file)
  8. mods usually need to be started via a batch file (.BAT), so drag and drop that batch file onto DOSBox.exe to play them
You should also be able to drag and drop files or folders onto a shortcut to DOSBox.exe. You can place that shortcut on your desktop or in your mod folder, whatever feels more comfortable for you.

You can create a shortcut by clicking the right mouse button (or the left button if your mouse is set to left-handed) onto DOSBox.exe, holding the button down and dragging the cursor to where you want to create the shortcut. Release the right mouse button and select "create shortcut" from the context menu.

Edit: I just found this tutorial video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MB3ofbsnwa4
Hail to the K1n9, baby!
http://k1n9duk3.shikadi.net

Webster.Pastapali
Grunt

Post by Webster.Pastapali »

Spectacular. This worked. I am sorry for the late response. I really appreciate the detailed instructions. I now have keens 1-5 and a handful of modded levels to get started. I am stoked. Next step for me-- find keen dreams and keen 6.
Thank you