Keen 9: Battle of the Brains

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

KosmynC64 wrote:I really hope that this episode mod will not be the final one. Because it would be interesting to take a unespected turn of the plot at the end of BOTB and then be able to continue from on.
Expanding the Keeniverse is really good and I bet every one would like to see more planets to explore and more aliens to stun.
I'd rather it be an official "ending" without any cliffhanger/lose ends, but still leave room open for mod sequels so it's both satisfying on it's own and won't be counteractive to any expansion of the keen universe.
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
mortimer
Blistering Barnacles

Post by mortimer »

VikingBoyBilly wrote: I'd rather it be an official "ending" without any cliffhanger/lose ends, but still leave room open for mod sequels so it's both satisfying on it's own and won't be counteractive to any expansion of the keen universe.
Yeah, it would be somewhat restricting if keen dies and Mort takes over the universe :dead
Billions of blue blistering barnacles in a thousand thundering typhoons!
RoboBlue
It's that one guy.

Post by RoboBlue »

If Mort takes over the universe, couldn't he have the power to control life and death? :)
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

If for some reason Keen is killed by Mort, that doesn't matter. Keen's death will be staged and he will return in episode 10 for the surprise of Mortimer . :p
KelinciHutan
Vortininja

Post by KelinciHutan »

Beh. So it didn't come out in September. IRL always takes precedence.

It's good to hear the updates, and I'm glad y'all are so close to finishing. I'm looking forward to it. If it's out near or in November, it'll give me another excuse to procrastinate on my NaNo! :)
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Ceilick wrote:At some point early on the game over sequence was just going to be a non-descript section of space getting fried. Right now the sequence will have less to do with the Universe itself and more to do with a specific aspect of Mortimer's plan.
:drool Like the sound of this...

Yeah, calm down people, if you're so tired of waiting, start making your own Keen 4-6 mod and see how time consuming it is. Especially if making one that matches the quality of an original episode.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Deltamatic
Vorticon Elite

Post by Deltamatic »

KeenRush wrote:
Ceilick wrote:At some point early on the game over sequence was just going to be a non-descript section of space getting fried. Right now the sequence will have less to do with the Universe itself and more to do with a specific aspect of Mortimer's plan.
:drool Like the sound of this...
My thoughts exactly. On reading that segment of text my brain flipped. Quite unexpected and creative, Ceilick. Bravo.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

I have seen the potential of that game over, whatever it will be, it will be awesome.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

First thing I'm going to do when I start playing = die over and over.
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

Haha, exactly. People will die three times, right after starting the game, on purpose to see the game over sequence :D
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

Grimson wrote:Haha, exactly. People will die three times, right after starting the game, on purpose to see the game over sequence :D
or just F10+Z...
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
JoeCapricorn
Grunt

Post by JoeCapricorn »

I must say, in all the years I've been a semi-active regular at PCKF (although quite a quiet lurking one), I never thought I would see something that would energize the community quite like what this Universe is Toast series has done. I played Keys of Krodacia and Dead in the Desert. I await CK9 patiently, when it is done (and no hurry!) it shall be awesome and very epic!

Thank you Ceilick and all who have worked on this series!
BBalazs
Grunt

Post by BBalazs »

I totally second that. I guess there is a good deal of oldies hanging around every second month or so, with the only reason to check if your project's done; myself included.

Good Luck and keep it up. The trilogy's been started, try to push it through. There is no reason for Keen to remain unfinished in the final stretch once again.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

kuliwil wrote:
tulip wrote:I also agree the begging keen is an abomination.
And I don't see how it really has a use besides allowing people who are annoying Ceilick to use less words.
:begging
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
mortimermcmirestinks
Owner of Club Vort

Post by mortimermcmirestinks »

This is going to be one fun game! I'd can't wait to see the different planets. :D
...says the most charming guy in the room.

I'm back... kind of? Not really.

You can also find me here.