YAY!

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
Fleexy
Tool Smith

YAY!

Post by Fleexy »

Woohoo!! Episode Smile bites the dust! As in I beat it. :)

Becuase the last level is so huge, I did use codes a few times to get back to where I was (didn't all people who beat Smile do that? I think so). Anyway, yahoo!!
Last edited by Fleexy on Mon Oct 05, 2009 23:02, edited 1 time in total.
Deltamatic
Vorticon Elite

Post by Deltamatic »

Congratulations, Fleexy. Now all you have to do is beat your own mod... :lol
shikadi
Vorticon Elite

Post by shikadi »

i would say you dindt complete it then, you just passed all challenged but did not complete it
i have 2 levels to go (and dind't play it for about a month) but i dindt use god mode once (yet :dopefish ).
but well congratz getting so far anyway
(now make a video that works on my comp were you complete you own smile)
nothing usefull here
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Re: YES YESYESYESYES!!!1!!11one!!

Post by KeenRush »

Congrats. It's not impossible, as said. Not everyone uses cheats to get back where they were before they died. Granted I do that sometimes when I'm really frustrated, but on my video playthrough I don't, for example. :dopekeen
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

It took my long, so very long to beat it. So many deaths, so many restored games... why must people make things so hard? (And then complain when one of MY levels is difficult.) WHY?
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Deltamatic
Vorticon Elite

Post by Deltamatic »

My theory is that these people have played Keen and their mods so much that they could win them in their sleep, so they try to make it a moderate challenge to themselves (and thus, they think, to other people) by making them practically impossible to win.
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

And they get to know the tricks that make things that little bit easier.

I imagine if the player opened each level in an editor and poked around a bit, it would become easier for them to complete it. In fact, that might be an interesting experiment to try sometime...
Deltamatic
Vorticon Elite

Post by Deltamatic »

Well, if they opened it in an editor and looked around, they'd have seen a map of it, so it would be easier just via the map.
What we need to do to show whether poking around in an editor is superior is to have a group of Keeners play a level, memorize the map to it and play it again, before going into the editor and playing it again, and compare them to another group of Keeners who played the level, memorized the map and played it again, before playing it again without going into the editor. Then we can analyze the differences between the second and third times for the first group of Keeners, and compare them to the differences between the second and third times for the second group of Keeners so we could tell whether the skill increase between 2 and 3 was just an increase in practice or whether the editor actually improved it. The first group needs to memorize the map beforehand so that we can isolate the effects of the editor from the effects of learning the map, and the second group also needs to do so because then the only difference between the differences between the second and third plays for the different groups would be that the first group went into the editor.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

WTF? Just play it, it's a GAME so have fun.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
shikadi
Vorticon Elite

Post by shikadi »

what tulip says

i look afterwards to the levels for 2 minutes and only the higher numbers among them. if you can't get past it and get frustrated, it is an game and you might try it as an achievement, but dont hate anyone for making things you can't complete.

(yes fleexy and kr, i don't hate you for giving us a challenge.)
nothing usefull here
Mitsukara
Grunt

Post by Mitsukara »

tulip wrote:WTF? Just play it, it's a GAME so have fun.
Does throwing things and screaming bloody murder between attempts to play count as having fun? :p
shikadi
Vorticon Elite

Post by shikadi »

depends, do you have fun doing so?
nothing usefull here
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

I found a way to 'lock' levels in Keen 4-6 so TED5 can't open them. I think I shall have to use this.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

Hmm, Deltamatic's outline sounds planful.
tulip wrote:WTF? Just play it, it's a GAME so have fun.
We are having fun discussing the possibility of studying mod design to help improve further efforts and make them more fun.
shikadi wrote:but dont hate anyone for making things you can't complete.
To clarify, my "I hate you" statement is in jest, and I have enjoyed the challenge of this mod. Unless otherwise stated, things that I say of that nature should be interpreted in a most arid manner.
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

Yay, now I beat Smile without codes at all! It actually is possible to do the last level (the omelet) in one piece! :dopekeen