Commander Keen in: Foray in the Forest

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
Mink
Vortininja'd

Post by Mink »

Glad you're resuming work on this, Mr M. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing more of your progress.
_mr_m_
Vortimaestro

Post by _mr_m_ »

After a burst of inspiration, and a few hours of work later, I present the most recently finished level for my mod. It's your basic bread-and-butter type Keen level.

Since files.commanderkeen.org is down, I guess everyone on here will just have to settle for a gameplay video instead of teaser screenshots like I have posted in the past (that is, until someone could provide me with a little bit of space for them). Its about a 27MB download. Sorry if it's a bit much, I wanted to get this out right away and forgot to reduce the filesize.

Grab the video here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?fzjgnrtwvm0

EDIT:
Alternatively, if you think the 27MB download is too much, I made a low-res version of the same video. It's only 5MB.

Get it here (low-res):
http://www.mediafire.com/?c2weww4zimi

Video is Windows Media 9 format; I encoded it directly from the DOSBox capture, using the Windows Media encoder that came with Vista Ultimate. Hopefully it's playable for everyone.

I did it this way because I don't want to mess with posting to YouTube or any other sources, really.

I demonstrated the level on the hardest difficulty. It seems a bit too easy, but then again, I know what to expect around every corner; maybe I need more enemies? Like a skypest or two?

Anyway, feedback is appreciated as usual, and thanks for watching the video.
"I just drew this stupid little fish." -- Tom Hall
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Looking awesome, really like the incorporation of hte keen dreams tiles for the house structures. Gives this a very keen 6 feel (outdoor/indoor).

Have to run to class, editing my post when i get back.

Edit: Seems like you can reach the exit from impossible pogoing from the top right of the roof of the second structure.

The level seems really small, which might have been what you were aiming for. If you want to make it bigger, some underground tunnels would be cool. Also some more variation in the room design; two of them are just rectangular rooms.

Enemy positioning is good except for the licks. Licks are most dangerous on hills or when they're jumping at keen from above. I would start that firs lick either on the other side of the hill, or on the elevated platform just past that. In the house, I would pu hte lick up by the first door, rather than below it. With the lick up on the roof, I would replace it with a slug and put the lick on the platform just above so it has the chance to jump down on keen.

The mad mushrooms are placed well, but I think it would be a good idea to put some background behind the one up on the roof, since there isn't much contrast between cyan mushroom and cyan sky.

Graphically, tings look awesome. Nice barred windows. You're proably aware of these, but hte wooden platform slopes look off and the background in the house looks like its flashing? For the in huse backgrounds, i'd suggest some kind of grained wood paneling or 'log cabin' type walls. Here's an example from monster bash of what I'm thinking of: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjHmlZPUSKs
_mr_m_
Vortimaestro

Post by _mr_m_ »

Thanks for your feedback, Ceilick!
Seems like you can reach the exit from impossible pogoing from the top right of the roof of the second structure.
:lol It would seem so, wouldn't it? The spiked gap is about 3 tiles longer than the maximum horizontal distance Keen can impossible pogo.
The level seems really small, which might have been what you were aiming for. If you want to make it bigger, some underground tunnels would be cool. Also some more variation in the room design; two of them are just rectangular rooms.
Yep, this level was meant to be a smaller level. I won't discount the idea of putting in a couple tunnels, though

As for room design, I couldn't think of much to do besides add more "decor" to the rooms -- ie I put in wooden ceiling supports in the top room of the tower, as well as some to hold up the tower itself. They're really there to look nice and take up space so the rooms don't look too empty
Enemy positioning is good except for the licks. Licks are most dangerous on hills or when they're jumping at keen from above. I would start that firs lick either on the other side of the hill, or on the elevated platform just past that. In the house, I would pu hte lick up by the first door, rather than below it. With the lick up on the roof, I would replace it with a slug and put the lick on the platform just above so it has the chance to jump down on keen.
Done. Thanks for that suggestion; the level has a little more of a challenge to it now
The mad mushrooms are placed well, but I think it would be a good idea to put some background behind the one up on the roof, since there isn't much contrast between cyan mushroom and cyan sky.
I resolved this by placing a couple clouds on the background layer where the mushroom is. It works well enough that the mushroom stands out more
Graphically, tings look awesome. Nice barred windows. You're proably aware of these, but hte wooden platform slopes look off and the background in the house looks like its flashing? For the in huse backgrounds, i'd suggest some kind of grained wood paneling or 'log cabin' type walls.
Thanks! The barred windows make appearances elsewhere, too. The log platform slopes are all goofed up. For whatever reason, no matter how carefully I copied the tiles, they don't seem to line up right in TED5.

The background flashing is in the video is a symptom of the WMV encoding process.

As for the wood panel background-- added it right when I found the tiles I wanted. I didnt have them last night. It looks much cleaner now, though I had to replace the candy bars--they blended in too much

Thanks again for your feedback, Ceilick!
And thank you Szemi for the message you sent earlier today!

Hopefully I'll get another level or more tiles done soon. I'm really taking advantage of the fact that there's a lot of room in the masked tile set...Leaves a lot of room for props and other stuff.

I'm gonna start tinkering around with masking to see what cool effects I can get...I already have a fully working waterfall!
lemm
Blorb

Post by lemm »

is that some pink floyd in the world map?
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

What can I say? Looks awesoem!!!
Eddie Blake
Grunt

Post by Eddie Blake »

Just watched the video! The game looks awesome!
Can't wait for the final product!
JackDaniels
Vortininja

Post by JackDaniels »

Wow! When I heard it took you about 72 hours to complete a level, I thought it was a bit exaggerated. After watching your video I must say I made up my mind. Keep up the good work!
Also, great to see those Keen Dreams tiles.
Last edited by JackDaniels on Sun Jan 31, 2010 18:02, edited 1 time in total.
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

If this mod will be done,i'll put it to KeenWiki as i will Keen 9.
Yeah, piece of cake!
Eddie Blake
Grunt

Post by Eddie Blake »

How's the mod coming?
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

Yeah, as Eddie asks.
Otherwise may i put up to Keenwiki this mod,if it's done?
Yeah, piece of cake!
_mr_m_
Vortimaestro

Post by _mr_m_ »

I'll use the line that got 3D Realms in trouble...

It's coming 'When it's Done.'

I have no real time penciled in for a completion date.
I'm working on this off and on when I have the time.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Let's hope you'll have more "burst of inspiration" :).
Eddie Blake
Grunt

Post by Eddie Blake »

How goes the mod work?
_mr_m_
Vortimaestro

Post by _mr_m_ »

Anyone who's on the IRC channel is aware of the progress that's being made on the mod. I am finally resuming work on the mod, since I finished my spring semester at college.

I still have no idea when this will be completed, but I can at least say I'm a little closer to being done than I was yesterday. I'm still really fussy about the levels and making sure they're the best they can be.

Also, I decided to take out the secret/joke level from my mod; it just doesn't work with the theme I'm going for...And I want the room in the tileset back. I made a video to share:

http://files.commanderkeen.org/users/_m ... ke_lvl.wmv