Commander Keen in: Foray in the Forest

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
_mr_m_
Vortimaestro

Post by _mr_m_ »

Thanks, Ceilick! I'll get to work on shading the rock a bit.

What about this solution for the tree:
I own the 3-episode set of Monster Bash; what about using Wombat tools to extract the tree tiles, and recolour them as needed to fit into Keen?

EDIT: after looking at the Monster Bash data in Wombat, it seems the tiles are scattered through the data files...but I managed to pull them out.

After replacing the the existing tree, I think the Monster Bash one looks much better. I prettied it up with some "leaves" so it looks much better.
"I just drew this stupid little fish." -- Tom Hall
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

I'm not sure about the Monster Bash trees, I was mostly referring to the branch style for platforms when I mentioned it. I can't really comment without seeing it though :)

And I just noticed the new scorebox design (removin the grey border stuff) and that is a really great idea! I'm starting to work on the Keen 8 fixes and is it alright if I use that scorebox design as well?
_mr_m_
Vortimaestro

Post by _mr_m_ »

Yeah sure, use the scorebox design!
I can e-mail you the .bmp file for it, for your convenience.

I put up another screenshot with the Monster Bash tree in it...it looks better, but I still think there's something awry with the shading.

I made the picture side-by-side for comparison. But it looks like the shading on the tree matches the lighting on the grass, but maybe not the background...

I'm not so sure, though..If anything, I at least have a nicer looking tree to edit and recolour. And I also know I need to fix that gap in the right root, and branch.
BrainRain
Vortininja

Post by BrainRain »

Just WOW, this mod will be great, those trees are realy original and looks realy nice
I'm looking forward to this mod, it will be an awesome one
Keep up your great work :)
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

If you could email the .bmp that would be great :)

I think the design of the monster bash tree is better; i was worried it might look too dead but it fits well with the cosmo tree background. I think if you transferred the leaves from the biomenace tree to the new one, it'll look even better. Also, the lighting angle needs to be reversed on the monster bash tree. Lastly, and I'm not sure, but the tree might look better if the light red was removed for more brown. I'm not sure though. /end suggestions :)
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

I look forward to your mod, mr_m!
The screenshots are so cool. I love those trees and especially the new titlescreen. ^^
Keep on it my friend. ;)
Between Keen Dreams and Keen4?
Keen 3.5 or Keen 4.5? Sorry,but i don't know.
Yeah, piece of cake!
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Just curious, would anyone use a version of Modkeen that worked with Keengrouted bitmaps?
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Wow! Those trees looks neat! You better use them a lot :)
_mr_m_
Vortimaestro

Post by _mr_m_ »

Just an update on the project:

I'm putting this mod on a *very* brief hold as I finish up work on the Keen 8 Soundtrack. I want to try and have the soundtrack finished in the next month or so.

I'll still be working on the mod, just not much will get done until I finish the, dare I say (?), much anticipated Keen 8 Soundtrack.

I updated my studio software over the weekend and got a major creative surge to make the Keen 8 tracks really shine (especially since the software I've been using didn't fully utilize dual-core processors until now). You won't be disappointed!
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Mr M, you never did get back to me on my music. I assume you got it, but I have no feedback.
_mr_m_
Vortimaestro

Post by _mr_m_ »

Mr M, you never did get back to me on my music. I assume you got it, but I have no feedback.
Er, I'm pretty sure I never got it or any links to it; I haven't gotten any PM's, and I haven't received any e-mails.

I know that if I had gotten those links, I would've been on it
sbartus
Vortininja

Post by sbartus »

This is apparently a very promising mod of Keen 4. I like the graphics very much.

Who is making the music? Is it the same person who made music for Ceilick's Keen 8?
_mr_m_
Vortimaestro

Post by _mr_m_ »

This is apparently a very promising mod of Keen 4. I like the graphics very much.

Who is making the music? Is it the same person who made music for Ceilick's Keen 8?
Yep, that'd be me! ZidaneA also did music for Keen 8, too.

And it wouldn't be a _mr_m_ mod ifI didn't do my own music

Thanks for the encouragement!

Like I said above, my Keen time has been very limited lately, and most of my time has gone into finishing the Keen 8 Soundtrack CD
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

I... I'm sorry?

Keen 8 soundtrack *CD*?

O.o
_mr_m_
Vortimaestro

Post by _mr_m_ »

UPDATES:

I've been super busy with school the last few months, hence my absence here. And other things in my life came up (nothing bad though)...

I have most of the levels penciled in my notebook; It's easier to design the levels on paper, make the changes, and then enter them into the computer.

Two new songs are done.

I'm still tinkering with the trees to make them look like they mesh properly with the rest of the tiles; I had to close a 2-3 pixel gap between.

Levels are still WIP. I may record a video sometime and upload it to Youtube.