Commander Keen in: Foray in the Forest

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
_mr_m_
Vortimaestro

Post by _mr_m_ »

VikingBoyBilly wrote:If this is supposed to be what Keen did for the gnosticene council to owe him a "favor", I'm all for it :)
Haha...you got me! :lol
ive worked on levels for about 25 games in my life, and ted5 is one of the easiest editors i know. if you know the hotkeys its very simple.
Yep! I basically only need 1,2,3,4,5,6, Space, B, F, C, and P, and my mouse when I'm working in TED5.

Anyway, I'm not sure how helpful this might be to any other modders out there, but since I like working in Photoshop, here's a Photoshop palette preset that has all the Keen colours preset in it and constrains everything to those 18 colours; perfect for dithering *most* images.

Colour Palette

This is from my copy of Photoshop CS3..but it should work with any version as far as I am aware.
To use it, go to:

Image -> Mode -> Indexed Color

Under the 'Palette' option, choose 'Custom' and load the Keen palette.
Last edited by _mr_m_ on Tue Aug 25, 2009 19:03, edited 1 time in total.
"I just drew this stupid little fish." -- Tom Hall
Mr. 314
Vortininja
Location: If I knew Do you really think I'd actually tell you???

Post by Mr. 314 »

_mr_m_ wrote:
VikingBoyBilly wrote:If this is supposed to be what Keen did for the gnosticene council to owe him a "favor", I'm all for it :)
Again, my idea!!! :celtic
time's wasting and evil doesn't thwart itself
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Thanks a ton for the EGA pallette! This might be useful to me. :) And I'm glad to see another keener using photoshop instead of just MSpaint :dopekeen
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

Mr. 314 wrote:Again, my idea!!!
Weelll, it's been part of the community mod storyline since 2003, so we win! 8)

But don't let that deter you from using the concept, mr_m. Or even Mr. 314. If there's room in the world for several variations of the UIT concept, there's room for several variations of the Gnosticene favour concept.
_mr_m_
Vortimaestro

Post by _mr_m_ »

To all the above ^^^

I guess great minds really do think alike
VikingBoyBilly wrote:Thanks a ton for the EGA pallette! This might be useful to me. :) And I'm glad to see another keener using photoshop instead of just MSpaint :dopekeen
MSPaint is good for touching up stray pixels...but when I did the title screen, Photoshop was the way to go, especially when I redid Keen's shirt to match the lighting.
JM2008
Vortininja

Post by JM2008 »

The screenshots are class. Can't wait till this ones released
Deltamatic
Vorticon Elite

Post by Deltamatic »

_mr_m_ wrote:I guess great minds really do think alike
Or at least minds of a decently sharp keenness to them.
_mr_m_
Vortimaestro

Post by _mr_m_ »

^^ No puns intended, I'm sure :lol

I'm gearing up to start the next couple levels. I've got the designs down on paper and once I finish polishing those up, I'll start getting them put into TED5.

As a note, the (only at the time of this writing) level that has screenshots up...it's taking me 2-3 attempts to finish on Hard difficulty. Most of the time, it seems to be the timing of the traps (those 'dartguns'); they're never consistent, which does add an element of challenge. Either that, or I jump just a second before I should in front of a damned Arachnut... :crazy

Granted, I'm not the most skilled Keen player. But by no means am I attempting to make this excessively difficult in an effort to make the Galaxy version of Smile.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

:drool Oh yeah! This is looking just great. Can't wait.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Mr. 314
Vortininja

Post by Mr. 314 »

Commander Spleen wrote:
Mr. 314 wrote:Again, my idea!!!
Weelll, it's been part of the community mod storyline since 2003, so we win! 8)

But don't let that deter you from using the concept, mr_m. Or even Mr. 314. If there's room in the world for several variations of the UIT concept, there's room for several variations of the Gnosticene favour concept.
yeah i suppose...hey that's not a bad name actually! Episode ? - The Gnosticene Favour 8)
Mink
Vortininja'd

Post by Mink »

I'm glad you're including the switchbacks; those are what made The Boulder my favorite level in DitD. The new score box without the grey edges looks neat, too.
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

Hello Mr M! I am sorry I took so long to post here. So far your mod looks great. But I do hope you will modify more of the graphics and the monsters. Other than that petty complaint, things are looking promising. This does have the potential to be great. Since you also have Ceilick's seal of approval, that means you are definitely doing something right!

Patrick
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
_mr_m_
Vortimaestro

Post by _mr_m_ »

Since you mentioned it, Syllypryde:
I'm at a loss at the moment... What *other* monsters would be found on Gnosticene IV?

On another note..
It's really weird that my Engineering Philosophy course got me thinking of my *next* mod...
Deltamatic
Vorticon Elite

Post by Deltamatic »

_mr_m_ wrote:I'm at a loss at the moment... What *other* monsters would be found on Gnosticene IV?
You could just pick an area and put in a species that's supposedly been there all along.
Last edited by Deltamatic on Fri Sep 04, 2009 22:44, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. 314
Vortininja

Post by Mr. 314 »

yeah thats the problem with having a game based on the same planet, you have to use the same creatures most of them time