A New Dope

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
Fleexy
Tool Smith

A New Dope

Post by Fleexy »

I just completed the third hardest mod without cheats. Well, mostly without. I used cheats to quickly get to/from the space station. :p Cause the Messie ride is annoying. :dead2 I completed with 0 lives, 85100 points, 11 levels completed (in levels with lots of IQ, I collected a few stashes, died, collected, died...), and 315 IQ. The ending was really annoying becuase I collected two IQ at a time for my last collection, but the ending said 314! >: I deserve a proper ending! :furious
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Re: A New Dope

Post by Syllypryde »

Fleexy wrote:I just completed the third hardest mod without cheats. Well, mostly without. I used cheats to quickly get to/from the space station. :p Cause the Messie ride is annoying. :dead2 I completed with 0 lives, 85100 points, 11 levels completed (in levels with lots of IQ, I collected a few stashes, died, collected, died...), and 315 IQ. The ending was really annoying becuase I collected two IQ at a time for my last collection, but the ending said 314! >: I deserve a proper ending! :furious
Right now I have 9 levels complete. I do not remember my score offhand, but I have 2 lives and 264IQ.
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Genius314
Vorticon Elite

Post by Genius314 »

I was able to complete A New Dope pretty quickly... I think Smile is MUCH harder.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Genius314 wrote:I was able to complete A New Dope pretty quickly... I think Smile is MUCH harder.
which is why he referred to A New Dope as the third hardest mod. They're both bloody unplayable if you ask me :bloody
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Genius314
Vorticon Elite

Post by Genius314 »

VikingBoyBilly wrote:which is why he referred to A New Dope as the third hardest mod. They're both bloody unplayable if you ask me :bloody
Whoops... I didn't see the word "third" in there. :o
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

A new dope is harder than Smile for me. Mostly because it uses far more of those precision jumps where you have to jump through or land between two killing tiles.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

I guess you're just joking, as it's a rather stoopid to complain about the ending also happening if you get more than 314 IQ points... :bloody I think that was the only sane solution. Besides, there's no way for you at that point to see what the actual count is, so you don't know whether Keen drinks the other one or not. 8)

Anyway, I don't think New Dope is third hardest or anything, it was meant to be fun and playable (failure again), the action is mainly based on shooting and enemies because I thought that was what everyone wanted, instead of tricky jumping. To me Smile is much more difficult. At any rate, the next mod will be much easier. :disguised
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Mink
Vortininja'd

Post by Mink »

I'm only at a measly 251 IQ, and I have to say I much prefer it to Smile. There are still jump challenges, but they're nowhere near as evil as the ones in Smile.
KeenRush wrote:At any rate, the next mod will be much easier.
*Anticipates*
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

KeenRush wrote:I guess you're just joking, as it's a rather stoopid to complain about the ending also happening if you get more than 314 IQ points... :bloody I think that was the only sane solution. Besides, there's no way for you at that point to see what the actual count is, so you don't know whether Keen drinks the other one or not. 8)

Anyway, I don't think New Dope is third hardest or anything, it was meant to be fun and playable (failure again), the action is mainly based on shooting and enemies because I thought that was what everyone wanted, instead of tricky jumping. To me Smile is much more difficult. At any rate, the next mod will be much easier. :disguised
Despite the difficulty of each of these two mods, they are both held in high regard by most of the Keen community. I know I keep saying I hate Smile, but yet I keep finding myself going back to it. For each level I beat on each one of the games, I find myself happy. It is just sometimes it can be so frustrating.

There was a day one time just screwing around I opened up Keens 4-8 and began playing them all on easy. You know what? I kept dying! On all five games I could not make it past their first levels! (which is extremely odd considering I can beat levels on hard in these games, but now all of a sudden I cannot play them on easy? WTF?) So guess what I did? I closed down the Galaxy games and mods and opened up Smile and A New Dope. You know what? I beat one level on Smile and beat two levels on AND. Sound crazy?

Basically what I am saying here, on the days I do not have the hand-to-eye coordination to play easier games, that is when I will play the harder ones instead, and I actually make progress on those games!

Patrick
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

I wish someone would post an explanatory video of how to do those impossible jumps in AND, because I don't have a clue how to execute them. You know the ones I mean. The ones where you're in a little crevice with a low ceiling and you must somehow jump out of that crevice with great horizontal distance and precice vertical height.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Impossible pogo, usually. :dopekeen
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Mink
Vortininja'd

Post by Mink »

I beat AND today! My final score was 148,200 with two Keens left. Level09 was particularly helpful with its giant stash of IQ points. Now I need to go back through and try to complete all the levels (I have a feeling that's harder than just winning).
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

KeenRush wrote:Impossible pogo, usually. :dopekeen
I thought that was only a Keen Galaxy trick. But even there I still haven't learned to pull it off :o
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

VikingBoyBilly wrote:
KeenRush wrote:Impossible pogo, usually. :dopekeen
I thought that was only a Keen Galaxy trick. But even there I still haven't learned to pull it off :o
The Impossible pogo trick (IPT) works a little different in the Vorticon trilogy. In Galaxy, it allows you to jump around half(?) a tile higher and allows you to jump at a radical horizontal angle. In Vorticons, it does not make you jump any higher, but still allows the radical horinzontal angle.
I find IPT easier in Vorticons, but I can do it very reliably in Galaxy. (Strangely enough, I can do the IPT every time on my desktop, but can only do it 70-85% of the time on my laptop.)

In order to do the IPT, you have to hit the Alt (pogo) and then the Ctrl (jump) ALMOST simultaneously while also pushing the left or right directional button. In Galaxy, the IPT is very difficult if not almost impossible with two-button firing on. So if you are having problems making IPT work in Galaxy, it may be because you have two-button firing activated. Deactivate it immediately.

As for A New Dope, you will need to learn all the jump tricks you can if you are going to stand a chance at solving any of these levels.

Patrick
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees