Keen Fanart Archive

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
Grandy02
Vortininja

Keen Fanart Archive

Post by Grandy02 »

Something I actually wanted to get done by Keen Day has finally gone live:
More than 500 pieces of Keen art - and counting

Thanks to everyone who gave their support. SynDuo made multiple pieces of his awesome Keen art available again. Keeniver sent me a cute Yorp drawing. From Xky Rauh I received a neat photo of himself as Keen. And TooMuchSpareTime allowed me to include all his Keen content, which is a lot. More people sent works or gave the permission to include their art, great stuff will be added in the weeks to come.

Most works included for the initial version were published between 1999 and mid-2005. I gave up hope that Xtraverse will ever fix Beyond the Pogo and its fanart page. I had already obtained most pics from said site for use in the respective threads. So I could also take the rest and give the works a safe home, I thought. And while I am at it, why limit it to content from the days of the old forum? The rest is history. Again, thanks to Malv for the webspace.

The overview page still needs some information, including explanations for the little link icons, and there might be a few mistakes, but I finally wanted to release it. Eventually, the PCKF Archive will include the other downloads from Beyond the Pogo (which are not covered by the KeenWiki) in different sections as well. Again, thanks to Malv for the webspace.

Yes, in some cases the inclusion might be questionable, i.e. when it's only a modified sprite. But ultimately, those "questionable" works are in the minority, I think it's okay.

If I can include your Keen stuff as well - please post here. :)
Last edited by Grandy02 on Thu Apr 01, 2021 19:34, edited 1 time in total.
PCKF Archive - The Keen Community's Past
Multimania
Vortininja
Location: Hiding in a small, cramped corner of the BwB megarocket.

Re: Keen Fanart Archive

Post by Multimania »

Wow! This brings back some memories!

I really love the "curated museum" feel it has, with all the cross-referenced notes and context for everything.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

I've got a lot of keen stuff made up during the years and an art that's not made by me went over there? So I can claim the ownership of it and make it NFT and become a millionaire.

Also most of the things I've made are pixel-art, made-up things and changes over originals. But is it art or is it trash? Could it be used for your website?
Toomuchsparetime
Vortigaunt Elite

Post by Toomuchsparetime »

Neat!

Oh wow, some of my old Keen art is megacringe. But so was I when I was 21. And now that I'm 41, I'm basically twice as cringe! :goth 8)
And at least it's archived! Great job, Grandy!
Grandy02
Vortininja

Post by Grandy02 »

@Multimania, TmsT: Thanks, glad to read that you like it. :)
Roobar wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:25 I've got a lot of keen stuff made up during the years and an art that's not made by me went over there?
It's only the beginning. I had already uploaded that particular file for use in the respective thread years ago.
Roobar wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:25 Also most of the things I've made are pixel-art, made-up things and changes over originals. But is it art or is it trash? Could it be used for your website?
Yeah, works like that can already be seen in the gallery. Anyways, I interpret your post as "Yes, you can add my stuff". :yorp
PCKF Archive - The Keen Community's Past
proYorp
Vortininja

Post by proYorp »

Nice! This is a lot of fun to look through. A great resource for Keen history-- and, dare I say, a good historical record in general. Some of these pieces carry the quintessential essence of something from the early 2000s; which, of course, they are.

Grandy02 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 22:56 And while I am at it, why limit it to content from the days of the old forum?
Sounds like a great idea! (I was wondering if you were ever planning to tackle any content from the current forums.) I'd imagine the fan-art thread would be a good place to start: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1500
Unfortunately a lot of dead images already, though I hear the Wayback Machine does wonders.
I wonder if old and new works should be sorted into different sections, for different "time periods."
"Friendly. Very friendly. Too friendly." Image