Re-imagined Commander Keen Art

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Re-imagined Commander Keen Art

Post by Lava89 »

I decided for Keen Day that I would do some art in which I tried to conceptualize a different take on Keen. So I started out with "Retro Futurism" of the 1940's in America. That is-- what would Keen look like if he was made the 40's? I also thought, since I was going with the whole "Retro futurism" thing, I would throw in a "steam punk" art piece. And just to be clear: none of the art in this thread will be used in a Commander Keen fangame at this point.

For the 40's version I gave Keen a more grungy look while his ship is a bit sleeker and cleaner. So I combined both styles-- that is the 40's tech style of the more practical objects (such as the wrist watch), while his ship is based off of the sci-fi ships of those times. Also, in the pictures of the ship, I modeled the vacuum cleaner off of the ones from the era. I also made a poster that is based off of art that I have seen of the 40's.

As for the steam punk model, instead of alcohol for fuel and a vacuum cleaner for propulsion. I made a little pit for coal and an extended vent (since I could not think of a Jules Verne-era vacuum equivalent). And of course there's no need for a battery.

So if anyone has any art in which they visualize Keen in an alternate direction, feel free to post it. It doesn't matter if it's a drawing, brief sketch, 3D model or even a video. Just long as 1) It's not gruesome, vulgar or obscene in any way and (2) it is supposed to be an art piece (so no text-based style descriptions).

So by all means, have at it! And happy Keen day!

Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

Added them to fuclyeah.

Very crafty! I love the steam-punk ship. Brilliant.
ZidaneA
Shikadi Master

Post by ZidaneA »

Oh, nice! I love the steam-punk version. Fits very well to the theme! :)
memsys
Vortininja

Post by memsys »

very nice i'll give it a "this is neat" rating
(i used to be ME!)
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Sooperneat. I have Wings3D but I never managed to do something effectively with it, maybe I'll have another go.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

The Steampunk BWB is splendid :)
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
Catwafer
Grunt

Post by Catwafer »

Steampunk Commander Keen! YES!

I had this drawn for me a little over a month ago:
http://catwafer.files.wordpress.com/201 ... 071462.png
It's pretty much the coolest thing ever!
Deltamatic
Vorticon Elite

Post by Deltamatic »

Film noir Keen and Renaissance Keen could also be interesting.
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

This is beautiful.
Wow look at me I'm lurking
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Cool! :british My favourite too is the steampunk BWB, but all of them are nice...
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Toomuchsparetime
Vortigaunt Elite

Post by Toomuchsparetime »

There actually is a Commander Keen from the 1930s. The Fleischer brothers (and their studio), rivals of Disney animation and notable for bringing Popeye and Betty Boop to life, created a studio demo reel of short animated clips for potential characters between 1929 and 1931.

Among these were a more dog-like Betty Boop, and also one familiar character dubbed "Kaptain Kanine", a family dog who was to have a secret lab inside his kennel, from which he would monitor the safety of the earth against invading aliens. When duty called, he would don his master's football helmet and become Kaptain Kanine, blasting off on a rocket-powered pogo stick to fight battles in space. The demo's clip showed him pogo-ing to the moon and fighting robotic dogs.

The studio had apparently written and started storyboarding Kanine's first 4-minute feature, called "A Toast to our Universe" (!!!!), but when Betty Boop really took off after her 1932 appearance in "Wolf of Stone" (!!!!!!!!!!!!), the Fleischers went with making more Betty Boop fan-service while Kanine got shelved. They intended to come back to it again, but when Paramount pulled the plug on the studio in '42 that was the end of it.

The 1931 "demo reel" never made a theatrical release and instead sat around virtually unknown until it appeared on a recent limited-run DVD collection of Betty Boop & Bimbo shorts.

I know, it's just totally insaney how close this thing is to Commander Keen, but yeah. :crazy

:mortlol
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

:O

Why doesn't Wikipedia know about this? It must be updated!! :disguised
Toomuchsparetime
Vortigaunt Elite

Post by Toomuchsparetime »

Maybe on April 1. ;)
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

You'd better have ripped the demo reel from the DVD by then. :evil
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Nice drawing. Sadly I could recognize your style before the sensation could kick in.
Image You crack me up little buddy!