Chopplo!

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.

Is he cute or what?

Definitley yes
19%
Yes
26%
Kind of yes
22%
Inbetween
11%
Kind of no
15%
No
4%
Definitely no
4%

Total votes: 27

XkyRauh
Mortimer's RightHand Man

Post by XkyRauh »

I'd say the Sprite definitely has whites to its eyes--it just happens to also have freakishly large pupils (and green irises), giving it a cutesy appearance. (Think of the cute-but-evil aliens in Galaxy Quest, or Sully's friend in Monsters, Inc.)

The Wormouth looks to me like its whites and blacks are inverted--rather than having a black pupil on a white eyeball, it has white pupils on a black eyeball. Maybe that's just me, though.

You all already know that for the longest time I thought the Babobba and Bobba's mouths were their chins, making them sock-ninja things... so in my view, the yellow was a screen over their eyes, making them mysterious. I suppose if the line partway down their head is really a mouth, they're natural cyclopses, like the Bloogs. But definitely no whites, there! :)
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

Hmm, well sprites are already white, so the green and cyan evidently had to be used for the eyes. Wormouths are small, but one could argue that there was enough room to add some white there.

As for (ba)bobbas, are they actually wearing suits, or what?

:O

Edit
Xky wrote:Sully's friend in Monsters, Inc.
MIKE WAZOUSKI! :disguised
Xky wrote:for the longest time I thought the Babobba and Bobba's mouths were their chins, making them sock-ninja things... so in my view, the yellow was a screen over their eyes, making them mysterious.
That's what I've always seen them as. Who suggested otherwise?
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Yes, wormouths look like having white pupils (or reflection of light) on black eyeball, my point exactly. No eye whites there. :bloody

Nice edit Spleen, never thought of that, it really looks like something inside a suit. A large bip? :) I don't know what to think of those things, they've always been strange to me, but to me that black line looks like mouth, and I've always taken the yellow and the black surrounding it as an eye.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Retodon8
Vortininja

Post by Retodon8 »

A Bip?
It looks like a slug.
XkyRauh wrote:I'd say the Sprite definitely has whites to its eyes--it just happens to also have freakishly large pupils (and green irises), giving it a cutesy appearance. (Think of the cute-but-evil aliens in Galaxy Quest, or Sully's friend in Monsters, Inc.)
Then where do the eyes stop and where does the skin start?
The "white of his eyes" is green in colour, and then there's the pupil, making him look more mean than cute.
That's what I see.
XkyRauh wrote:The Wormouth looks to me like its whites and blacks are inverted--rather than having a black pupil on a white eyeball, it has white pupils on a black eyeball. Maybe that's just me, though.
Not just you, that's what I see.
XkyRauh wrote:You all already know that for the longest time I thought the Babobba and Bobba's mouths were their chins, making them sock-ninja things... so in my view, the yellow was a screen over their eyes, making them mysterious. I suppose if the line partway down their head is really a mouth, they're natural cyclopses, like the Bloogs. But definitely no whites, there! :)
I've always seen the yellow as their actual eye.
The white animates, so is a sparkle on their shiny eye, which can somehow launch fireballs...
Some video game characters can fire lasers from their eyes, some can throw an infinite amount of boulders from... an invisible bag or something, so launching fireballs from your eye probably isn't even all that hard.
Retodon8
Sheep happens
XkyRauh
Mortimer's RightHand Man

Post by XkyRauh »

Alright, Ret8, I pulled up MsPaint and spent TEN MINUTES on this, just for you:

Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

Haha. So... beautiful... :(
8 ton o' Red wrote:A Bip?
It looks like a slug.
Yup, slug it is.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Very nice, especially the wormouth. This is probably the first larger picture I've seen of it.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Retodon8
Vortininja

Post by Retodon8 »

XkyRauh wrote:Alright, Ret8, I pulled up MsPaint and spent TEN MINUTES on this, just for you: <image here>
Thanks! :)

While on the subject, when the Wormouth is still (almost) completely underground, are the eyes the creature's actual eyes, or are they his nostrils?
I used the thing the latter, that he's only showing the top of his body, but started think he's actually physically growing/shrinking later.
Retodon8
Sheep happens
KeenEmpire
Intellectuality

Post by KeenEmpire »

he could be like a pufferfish
"In order to ensure our security, and continuing stability, the Kingdom has been reorganized into the First Vorticon Intellectuality!" Image
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

KeenRush wrote:This is probably the first larger picture I've seen of it.
Shadowlands episode two? :p

Those pictures are nice, Xky, ten minutes put to good use.

And Retodon8, I just had a good time reading about different kinds of mimicry. :)
Galaxieretter
Arachnut

Post by Galaxieretter »

Nice bunny looking thing you drew there, Xky. :crazy
No really, those pictures are rather adorable.

I never thought of bobbas as... ninja people in a suit but as an actual species that looks like a sock... that up-chucks fireballs.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

CK Guy wrote:Shadowlands episode two? :p
Yes, I remember that, but I was talking of static pictures. 8)
XkyRauh
Mortimer's RightHand Man

Post by XkyRauh »

I have to admit, a large part of the influence for me viewing the Babobbas as sock-ninjas is because of Kuribo's Shoe in Super Mario Bros. 3...
Retodon8
Vortininja

Post by Retodon8 »

For those who didn't play SMB3, like me, and don't know about the shoe, see this movie.
Retodon8
Sheep happens
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Those pics are awesome, raugh. I once tried to draw stuff on adobe illustrator without scanning in anything first, just winging it, and completely burned. And adobe photoshop always leaves those fuzzies around the edges when you use the paintbucket (I know tolerance can fix this problem but, meh). And I read that most of the bob and george comics were made with MS paint. Makes me consider using a simple program like paint to see what I can do with it.

EDIT: Feels like kid-pix for grownups :crazy

Wow, I can't believe how nice MS paint it. I thought because it was less complicated, that meant it was junk, but I was so wrong. This is my original character, Bananasauros, by the way. I think I could have done better around the eyes. They seem too small, or something.