Keen Acapella

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
thehackercat
Yorp Doctor

Post by thehackercat »

Preston wrote:That sounds like a plan. Now to find some Keen MIDIs and a MIDI editor. Can you point me to the best place to find those things?
Anvil Studio is a good MIDI editor. Also, you can find a collection of Keen MIDI music at http://www.commander-keen.com
Toothpick
Vortininja

Post by Toothpick »

Thank you, Spaceman Spiff. Be sure to tell your pet tiger I said hello. Then again, this post will not make any sense once you change your avatar.

The Keen site you gave me does not have all of the Keen songs though. I guess I'll just have to use my inner ear to distinguish each layer of music.
kuliwil
Blue-tongued Yorp

Post by kuliwil »

Preston wrote:The Keen site you gave me does not have all of the Keen songs though. I guess I'll just have to use my inner ear to distinguish each layer of music.
Malvineous wrote:Just grab that utility that converts them to .wav (for PC speaker effects) or IMF (for the Adlib ones.) I think it used to be on Andy Durdin's site. Or if you're game (and it still works) FileView can do it.
That might work at getting the files out.
"Hi, I'm Tom Sellick's moustache."
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

It sounds to me like it's in a different key from the original, but I'm not sure...
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Haha. :lol Good work, dude. :D This was rather unexpected, certainly.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
_mr_m_
Vortimaestro

Post by _mr_m_ »

I once had the Keen music all printed out on neato sheet music. They're buried in the bottom of my trumpet case.

I had all the 'original' parts transposed to their instrument's key and everything, so they were playable on the intended instrument. And you could play them in an ensemble, too!

If I have some free time, I'll compile a Keen music book (which may not be a good idea, since Bobby Prince is a lawyer, too...but it's not like I'd be selling it or anything)
"I just drew this stupid little fish." -- Tom Hall
kuliwil
Blue-tongued Yorp

Post by kuliwil »

_mr_m_ wrote:I once had the Keen music all printed out on neato sheet music. They're buried in the bottom of my trumpet case.

I had all the 'original' parts transposed to their instrument's key and everything, so they were playable on the intended instrument. And you could play them in an ensemble, too!

If I have some free time, I'll compile a Keen music book (which may not be a good idea, since Bobby Prince is a lawyer, too...but it's not like I'd be selling it or anything)
I think that 8notes.com might be able to fo a MIDI->sheet music conversion. And considering that that is a pay service there surely must be a freeware thing out there. You probably have it haha, my bad.

(before anyone asks I've restricted myself to this thread only :P)
Toomuchsparetime
Vortigaunt Elite

Post by Toomuchsparetime »

Very nice. Done much of this before?
Toothpick
Vortininja

Post by Toothpick »

Just a heads up, but the next acapella will be coming tomorrow. I cannot tell you which song it is, but I can tell you it is another Keen 5 song and there will be lyrics. Right now I am working my vocal chords to death to ensure my singing doesn't kill anyone.

Also, I need a good video editing program. What would any of you guys recommend? I intend to make something like this only on a much lesser scale.
kuliwil
Blue-tongued Yorp

Post by kuliwil »

Preston wrote:Just a heads up, but the next acapella will be coming tomorrow. I cannot tell you which song it is, but I can tell you it is another Keen 5 song and there will be lyrics. Right now I am working my vocal chords to death to ensure my singing doesn't kill anyone.

Also, I need a good video editing program. What would any of you guys recommend? I intend to make something like this only on a much lesser scale.
I CAN'T WAIT TO HEAR IT!!!!

I couldn't load the Youtube vid, but I like to use Magix Movie Maker 2005 Silver- I got it free on an APC cover disc and it is truly excellent. I also have some free blue/green screen software somewhere...... if you wanna know I'll try and find it.
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

kuliwil wrote:
_mr_m_ wrote:I once had the Keen music all printed out on neato sheet music. They're buried in the bottom of my trumpet case.

I think that 8notes.com might be able to fo a MIDI->sheet music conversion. And considering that that is a pay service there surely must be a freeware thing out there. You probably have it haha, my bad.

(before anyone asks I've restricted myself to this thread only :P)
Suck the MIDI into Powertab (which is free) and you can get it in Sheet Music and as Guitar Tab.
Toothpick
Vortininja

Post by Toothpick »

Here's the second acapella.

I know I said this one was going to be lyrical, but my singing voice still needs work, and frankly I don't want to subject you guys to my mediocre singing. Enjoy the song anyway.
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

Preston wrote:...frankly I don't want to subject you guys to my mediocre singing. Enjoy the song anyway.
You know, honestly it's the less-than-professionalism of the vocals that make these so awesome. :lol I love the new one, keep it up!
Toothpick
Vortininja

Post by Toothpick »

I was talking about the words I was going to put into the song. I think I do decent enough "do's" and "da's" but not really well at singing actual words.
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

Try it - you can always improve it later if you don't think it came out good enough.