Keen's Night at the Improv (Part 1)

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.

What mod did you like the most?

Poll ended at Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:19

Commander Bleen, by Tulip
36%
Marta0, by VikingBoyBilly
5%
In The Bloogbrain, by Bonevelous
No votes
A Matter of Minkcraft, by Levellass
32%
Commander Keen in Shmaynoria, by Paramultart
23%
Oasiz's Mod, by Oasiz
5%

Total votes: 22

kuliwil
Blue-tongued Yorp

Post by kuliwil »

Oh noes! Thugs in a drugs lab, what should Bleen do!? Oh yeah, of course, shoot 'em in the groin! :D
"Hi, I'm Tom Sellick's moustache."
Bonevelous
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bonevelous »

My mini Reviews:

Bleen: 7.5/10 Very Good
The main issue is the unforunate implications, but I know you meant well. :)

Bloog: 4/10 Poor
I'm not much of a level designer, but I think I've learned my lesson about thousands of points. :dead

Marta: 7.5/10 Very Good
The issue here is that it's far too difficult, but maybe I just need to get practice with episode Smile. :o

Minkcraft: 9/10 So Cool It's Awesome
This is my official favorite mod. I don't know how you did it, but you did; music, smooth fading, and addictive, challenging gameplay. Almost seems so good that it may not be fair. :D

Oasiz: 7/10: Good
It's sad that this was never finished, I would have loved to see where it would have gone. :(

Shmay: 8.5: So Strange, it's Awesome
This is even weirder then it looked when I first glanced at it. Very random, but in a good way. :)
Check out Flixxy the Fox: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6378

tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Bonevelous wrote:M
The main issue is the unforunate implications, but I know you meant well. :)
What implications?

AND WTF!!! WHY DIDN'T ANYONE HERE EVER TRY TO DESTROY THAT DISTRILLERY IN LEVEL 2 OF MY MOD. SRSLY. THERE IS AN ENDING.

My votes will be in as soon as I manage to play all the mods.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
kuliwil
Blue-tongued Yorp

Post by kuliwil »

tulip wrote:
AND WTF!!! WHY DIDN'T ANYONE HERE EVER TRY TO DESTROY THAT DISTRILLERY IN LEVEL 2 OF MY MOD. SRSLY. THERE IS AN ENDING.
Ah, it just looked like environment tiling. You need a door that unlocks at the end or something so that no-one finished without finishing!..... *goes back to repeat Bleen - not so bad a task!*
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

AND WTF!!! WHY DIDN'T TULIP MAKE THE DISTRILLERY NOT KILL YOU AND PUT AN EXIT IN THE LEVEL. SRSL. THERE IS AN EXIT.

Basicallywoah@themodshere. SHERE

Pretty much they're pretty cool guys.

And Minkraft is pretty much the style the CKCM should be. That is all.
kuliwil
Blue-tongued Yorp

Post by kuliwil »

Haha, loved the ending with the taillight-like jets :P

Um, I finished, went through the story, then died and ended up on the map screen again?
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

kuliwil wrote:
tulip wrote:
Ah, it just looked like environment tiling. You need a door that unlocks at the end or something so that no-one finished without finishing!..... *goes back to repeat Bleen - not so bad a task!*
I went back to do it, found a typo, then the game crashed (or rather, went weird) after the ending animation/text sequence and I heard the death music and reappeared on the map...

I didn't realise Oasiz's Mod was his first otherwise I'd have been a bit more appreciative...
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
shikadi
Vorticon Elite

Post by shikadi »

if i would rate the mods=

1- minkcraft <- got my vote
2- shmay
3- oasiz
4- bleen
5- marta0
6- Bloog

6- bloogthing, didn't interesting me , just a lot of points and a bottom to fall through.

5- marta0 didn't keep me interested, so i didn't complete, maybe this should be higher, but probably not.

4- bleen, now we start coming at the "rather good" mods, for be made in in very limited time, this is a very good mod, but the thema inst that interesting (ok, i shouldn't vote on that), and the way the text made up is so boring i didn't bother to read it ( probably done to fit the thema, but english is not my first language, making it hard(er) to read)

3- Oasiz, entries 3 and 4 are close, but because this is his first mod, i put it a bit higher, sad that the sprites weren't changed, and that i got no pogo stick, but i liked the level and the challenge, and but be made in a short time and as a first mod, i shouldn't place it lower.

2- shmay, it got more then 2 levels, which i liked... and disliked at the same time, because its the only mod with that much levels. also u disabled god mode, that should not be done (i think ppl use it to force the the player to play through, but i do not like it, i promise i won't get rid of god mode in any of my mods from now on), also why don't you just start with the pogo, if you can grab it in 15 seconds anyway.

1- minkcraft, levellass got an unfair advantage - be good at patching. =p, the length of the only level is the only downside i found.
And to those who disobeyed the rules and chose not to participate, well... I have nothing to say to you. Unhappy
i only saw this on the 26th august, with not enough time left to make something, otherwise i probably would have done a mod, if i see another such thing in time, i don't promise i would join.
nothing usefull here
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Oh, I see Spleen, I actually removed the exit in level2 because Paramultart complained right after I sent it in. Seems he ignored the update. Also I don't know why it goes weird on some systems after the ending, but I don't consider it much of a problem, since you actually get to see the ending if I got right.

Ok my votes now (I didn't rate my own mod):

1. Marta0: This wins because I feel it is one of the few that were made with in the originally intended 24 hour bounds of this competition. I really like your sprites, the ending is the best in this competition: funny and a good use of that changing window bitmap. I don't see why everybody found this so hard, I couldn't find a single hazard in it.

2. Shmay: Many levels which is a plus. I feel you put in a little more time than 24 hours, that's why I put you on 2nd. The theme is great with it's crossover between MonsterBash and Simon the Sorceror (even the music sounded like in StS). Gross but funny. Cute giraffes. Why are spoons deadly? And the "Mimes everywhere" level had some broadly found leveldesign flaws that made it extremely annoying: You let the player pass literally the whole level trice, on the same patch from beginning to end only to collect keys, a huge level, and all that with a soundtrack that loops as fast as "Too hot".

3. Oasiz: Nice mod, sad that it wasn't finished, I hope you'll continue this mod, even if it's not for this competition. A lot of potential here. The map reminded me a lot of "The Last Moon"

4. Bloog: You actually have some nice graphics, and you show again that you can work well with the palette patch. Sadly you decided then to make a completely horrible level.

5. Minkcraft: I believe nothing of this. This was made by several people, in a timespan that definetly exceeded the time of this competition, lots of pre-engineered graphics I bet. Therefore I disqualify this. It's all very well made, but waaay too elaborate for this competitions intention. Also I got lost in your level. (as I do in all of them, I believe I never finish any of your levels, I never find the exit)
Image You crack me up little buddy!
oasiz
Meep

Post by oasiz »

Yeah, Hello.

I am here to post a bit about my mod.

Since there is no "readme" so I will just try to explain some of the stuff that wasn't explained!

The thing is that the world map is sadly very unfinished and the version that is current available for download is still a W.I.P. preview.
I first decided to release it as a 24h competition entry but I ended up adding more and more to it once time went on.

I planned on adding multiple levels but I got stuck with this one "test level" where I want to show all the game-play gimmicks that are available.

I will briefly explain a bit about the system:

Continue arrows: Allow you to unlock the block that allows you to teleport further on the level (thus skipping 50% of it). This block is located left to the entry point of the first level. Once you teleport, you will fall to a new arrow and thus you get a new "continue" to use again. This is a workaround to include checkpoints in levels.

Colored spheres: These allow you to make blue/red boxes appear and make them solid. Pretty self-explanatory once you get to use them in practice. Blue spheres allow you to access swirlies (more later on) and red spheres allow you to open a shortcut or generally open paths that make your life easier (will be more hidden than blue in levels).

Swirlies: These are something that you will want to collect. There is no reason yet but imagine that your life depends on it and you can't exit the level with satisfaction until these are all collected (3 in this case). A Blue sphere open a path to where you can obtain one these magnificent animated tiles.

World map: This is actually a 40~ minute hack (tile graphics included) so I am terribly sorry about this! Just walk to the 4 black squares at the top of the waterfall to start the level.

Menu: All the info/ordering/etc.. screens are a bit messed up. I edited those twice during the total time of work (Second time was to add block information to the "story" screen, which is messed up as well). Everything else was done for the 24h competition (font was actually the first thing I edited for this mod to see how the tile importing/exporting works).

And about the Nintendo'ism. Yes, I admit. I am a sucker for Mario/nes era level design quirks. I actually used to draw 2D platformer levels a LOT when I was still in the early years of school. I still do sometimes after all these years. This current level kind-of echoes that :)
But I like the design and I think it works even though I say it.

And yes, it is difficult and I intend to make levels roughly half of the current length from here on, (longer when using pogo/similar to make progressing further easier/faster).

Also I wouldn't recommend on voting since I kinda released this as-is.
I purposefully said that I wouldn't want to participate with this unfinished work (still some stock stuff that didn't fit in with the competition rules), but still to make it public. I guess para forgot to add this little disclaimer :)

I really still do appreciate all positive/criticism/negative. It motivates me to push on more with this project. I plan to have around 4-5 themes and level-size is still open. (Al tough this current level will most likely not be featured on the next release due to it being more like a "mash-up" of available components. Currently I have migrated to the 'v2' modbase and that took some time (days) to do and I didn't really touch the previous "version" that is likely the "5th start-to-end version" (Lot's of detail got added later on such as waterfalls).

Thanks for all the comments so far !
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

I would also like to note that this is my very first mod, as well.

(Unless you count the 2 levels I did for Xky's comp)

(It's also the first project I've fully completed in my entire life... mods or not)
Tulip wrote: I feel you put in a little more time than 24 hours, that's why I put you on 2nd.
Well, duh... Did you not read my post earlier?
But most of the time spent after the 24 hour limit was just adding music, fixing patches+bugs, and censoring all the dirty stuff.
At least I was honest, and proved that it's POSSIBLE to make a big mod within 24 hours. (kind of)

I'm a little tempted to post the -24 hour version now.
Last edited by Paramultart on Tue Aug 31, 2010 19:09, edited 1 time in total.
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

Paramultart wrote:I'm a little tempted to post the -24 hour version now.
I think you should - I know I'd like to see it, I'm sure others would agree...
Cereal Board!
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

DHeadshot wrote:
I will when the competition is over... However, I wouldn't want some of the kiddies on these forums to see it... :confused
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

Paramultart wrote:
DHeadshot wrote:
I will when the competition is over... However, I wouldn't want some of the kiddies on these forums to see it... :confused
Fleexy is the only one who's technically a "Kiddy" anyway, right?
Cereal Board!
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Damn, the quality of these mods is amazing. Probably most of you resorted to some time travelling. :dopekeen

My order:
Commander Bleen -- This one's the coolest. :rasta Funny, with great graphics, reminds me of some old police series (which I have never watched or know anything about). :D

Oasiz's Mod -- This feels genuiely old-school.

Marta0 -- The second Keen mod with a world made of cheese... :confused I love those cats, especially the frame when you shoot them. :D

A Matter of Minkcraft -- This was, of course, amazing. But it's too good looking. It makes me want to stop modding forever because no way I can compete with this stuff.

Commander Keen in Shmaynoria -- Some of those graphics are pretty neat, like the cat's head and the clown's head.

In The Bloogbrain -- It wasn't bad, but not much playing there.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.