Keen's Night at the Improv (Part 1)

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.

What mod did you like the most?

Poll ended at Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:19

Commander Bleen, by Tulip
36%
Marta0, by VikingBoyBilly
5%
In The Bloogbrain, by Bonevelous
No votes
A Matter of Minkcraft, by Levellass
32%
Commander Keen in Shmaynoria, by Paramultart
23%
Oasiz's Mod, by Oasiz
5%

Total votes: 22

DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

Ceilick wrote:Agree with Tulip, great use of the animation in the end game.
No way am I ever going to get to see that without cheating...
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

DHeadshot wrote:
Ceilick wrote:Agree with Tulip, great use of the animation in the end game.
No way am I ever going to get to see that without cheating...
Agreed.
The jumping physics/control in Keen 1 is much too horrible to make all the ridiculous f*cking jumps in the lower portion of the level.

Sorry, VBB... I loved your mod, but it's simply way too hard. My original post clearly states that submissions should be relatively easy, and at least beatable.

Props to those of you who actually beat Marta0 without cheating.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Marta wasn't too hard for me really, partly because I had infinite tries: every time I died I had accumulated 20,000 points already. As soon as you got the moon boots, it's a cakewalk.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Dynamo
Vorticon Elite

Post by Dynamo »

sup dawg, bleen wins.
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

Yo dawg, give Bleen sum more votes, yo.
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
Dynamo
Vorticon Elite

Post by Dynamo »

Grimson wrote:Yo dawg, give Bleen sum more votes, yo.
Yo dawg, please change your signature, that doesn't look like spyro at all.
Genius314
Vorticon Elite

Post by Genius314 »

CKeen wrote:
Grimson wrote:Yo dawg, give Bleen sum more votes, yo.
Yo dawg, please change your signature, that doesn't look like spyro at all.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artistic_license
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

1. Commander Bleen
My vote goes to this one. It's short and simple and the map designs and artwork are pleasing. This Bleen guy has some multiplayer potential, if he and keen were ever to meet. But I think changes in the helmet and shirt color might be necessary to set them apart more. Something about this is so charming it puts a smile on my face.

2. Shmaynoria
I was extremely tempted to vote this one. Honestly, the amount of work for such a short time is fantastic and its nice to have some music while keening. But there is the notorious bug of disappearing ship parts, so I had to consiously keep myself alive. These maps are surreal and cooky with their tricks and uh... humor... it's bright and colorful as well. If drinking giraffe poop and a shot of keen emptying his bladder is a 'censored' version, I'm really curious just how rank the original is.

3. A Matter of Minkraft
Definately the most impressive for art and patchwork, but some of the tricks in the level are so confusing it took me 2 days to figure out how to beat it, and the annoyingly short spiders are hard to line up for shots. But you're given plently of ammo so it's not an egregious problem. This is disqualified for first place because work on it began before the start of the contest (presumably) and more than one person was in on it, even though I don't recall any rules restricting entries to independent work and no group efforts, I think there's a general consensus that was pretty well implied.

4. Marta's Moon Adventure (my own mod)
What should I say about this? Except my vote is based on the amount of work I did (very little), not the difficulty. I don't think it was THAT hard, when compared to some of the jumps in oasiz.

5. Oasiz
I like that the keys are used to make platforms instead of open doors, which is a very neat idea. But the enemies are yorps and guardbots from mars that weren't replaced, and the guardbots were the most annoying thing in this level. And there was no ending. That stinks >:

6. Bloogbrain
A mod has to be really unimpressive to be beaten out by one that isn't even finished (oasiz). Actually, the pallette change and the artwork used in this is very, very cool, and it clearly took quite a bit of work. The 1337 sp33k sense of humor was fantastic :lol
But there were no enemies or hazards to speak of, and that's the one thing that kills it. It was so easy you can't lose.

Well, there's my thoughts for ya :)
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

Would anybody have any objection to me posting their reviews for these mods on the webpage? :)
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

Feel free to post mine as long as I'm credited.
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

I took the time to write. I might as well be immortalized :)
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

work on it began before the start of the contest (presumably)
I am curious on this point, in regards to future competitions. I have a lot of tiles pre-made as stuff for projects I've abandoned. Does this count as work, if I cut n' paste it all together? Like this, it's some stuff scribbled along the lines of the Botaflora thing mentioned, a bit of tileinfo and you'd have a playable tileset of about 50 tiles. Does this count as prior work?

Props to those of you who actually beat Marta0 without cheating.
It took four days of unending pain and torture. :p

If people can't even make one tiny level, then I will lose all faith in this community.
Yeah.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
oasiz
Meep

Post by oasiz »

Ok, I guess it's time for me to vote :)

1. Shmaynoria

+ Has a custom tileset
+ Music
+ Overall feeling of polish
- Some harder parts, not often.
Overall: Solid and an original feel.

2. Minkraft

+ Very nice tileset and music.
+ Good use of the tileset to make more 'dimension-rich' levels
+ Clever use of slopes to fake 3D level gameplay
- Level is too confusing
- Obviously recycles a lot of stuff
Overall: Nice modernized feel for CK1, good use of colours and tiles.

3. Bleen

+ Really nice overall theme
+ Clever use of the resources, reminds me of a NES/8-bit game with the clever recycling of tiles to make new stuff
+ Attitude :)
- Obvious polish due to time limitations
- Could have used a bit better graphics/leveldesign, again time limitations.
Overall: Really hit the spot with nice design and overall theme.

4. Marta0

+ Good for the given amount of time
+ Challenge
- Too much tile recycling?
- Palette seems to be a bit off.
- Could have used a bit more distinction between areas, again points to tile recycling.
Overall: Good for the given time. Could have used a bit more work on the tiles but things went well overall.

5. Bloogbrain

+ Palette
+ Graphics
+ Felt promising at first but...
- ... leveldesign possibly violated every rule known to man :)
- Maybe a bit too much "lolz" and 4chan feel. This might be a personal preference.
Overall: Started as a promising mod but ended up being a quick hack that feels like a bad "my first level". Don't take this as an insult :)

And mine. (the oasiz mod)
I don't place it anywhere due to not wanting to rank anywhere with this.
Read my post some pages back if you want info on how to play this.

Overall: I aimed for a level+theme that I had in my head. It sadly ended up being not-finished for this competetion due to time restrictions and real life (Mostly because I started university). I decided to throw in some out of box thinking like with the appearing blocks and "continue" (Not sure if these have been attempted before?) This project came to a slight halt due to me constantly adding in new features and experimenting with new ideas instead of designing the actual levels :)
Things like continue were added a lot late in..
Currently I am just waiting for further patches to have a custom palette with each tileset/level so I can work on my ideas.

And again! I love all the comments left for this one but don't rank this one anywhere as I just want to show this but as more like a "disqualified" Due to having lots of the stock stuff that doesn't fit in with the rules (like enemies).
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Woo, and, sure put up all the reviews on your site Paramultart! I hope your next competition will be as much a success as this one.
Levellass wrote:I am curious on this point, in regards to future competitions. I have a lot of tiles pre-made as stuff for projects I've abandoned. Does this count as work, if I cut n' paste it all together? Like this, it's some stuff scribbled along the lines of the Botaflora thing mentioned, a bit of tileinfo and you'd have a playable tileset of about 50 tiles. Does this count as prior work?
Of course. You even call it "pre-made" yourself, that implies work that you've done before. I'll always count that as cheating, except for a franken mod for example which aims exactly at pre-made/abandoned stuff.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

Congratulations, Tulip. You got both my personal vote, and the majority vote.
I guess it's time for me to give you your prize. :p

Alright, the site has been updated with reviews.
www.paramultart.comyr.com/kimprov1.html