Keen's Night at the Improv (Part 1)

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.

What mod did you like the most?

Poll ended at Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:19

Commander Bleen, by Tulip
36%
Marta0, by VikingBoyBilly
5%
In The Bloogbrain, by Bonevelous
No votes
A Matter of Minkcraft, by Levellass
32%
Commander Keen in Shmaynoria, by Paramultart
23%
Oasiz's Mod, by Oasiz
5%

Total votes: 22

Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

I have decided to not update the package that was uploaded, as it was pointed out to me that doing so would defeat the entire point of this competition.

Instead, I will re-release an extended and complete version of Shmaynoria when this competition is over, and I suggest everyone does the same with their mods.

Also, THANK YOU to everyone who partook in this, whether you contributed, or just voted.

I'm very pleased with the way this competition turned out, and I'm glad that some of you contributed. I really enjoyed ALL of the submissions (even the one by Bonevelous... I really had fun collecting those points, and the use of pallette was interesting ;) got a few laughs out of it, as well.)

Projects like this in the future will be a lot easier, so hopefully more people will pitch in next time. ;)

I've already got a couple more "Keen's Night At The Improv" ideas lined up for after this one blows over, but they won't be competitions... more of group efforts, and contributing will be a lot easier than making an entire game in 24 hours. Some ideas include massive Franken-Mods (recycle your old graphics and levels, no matter how irrelevant they are, and as many as you choose... and they will all be compiled into one big mod)...

And another one I'm really looking forward to that I hope everyone contributes to, will be more of a spiritual successor of this project...
You get 13 custom tiles (1 row on the sheet), and 1 tiny level (32x32) and 24 hours to submit your work. (Everyone works on the same day... so no shenanigans)

That is, if anyone is interested in these ideas... Perhaps those ideas are bit much, and I should just leave it be. I'd like to know ahead of time how many people would partake in these before I ever start another project like this one, so you guys let me know. :)
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

DHeadshot wrote:
Paramultart wrote:
DHeadshot wrote:I think you should - I know I'd like to see it, I'm sure others would agree...
I will when the competition is over... However, I wouldn't want some of the kiddies on these forums to see it... :confused
Fleexy is the only one who's technically a "Kiddy" anyway, right?
LET ME SEE IT :disguised
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

I must admit I'm a hypocrite after all my whining about the hard jumps in smile and a new dope. My frustration at Para at the time seeped into my level, and that's why it ended up so unforgiving.

I'll cast my vote and review once I finish playing the other mods.
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
kuliwil
Blue-tongued Yorp

Post by kuliwil »

Paramultart wrote: And another one I'm really looking forward to that I hope everyone contributes to, will be more of a spiritual successor of this project...
You get 13 custom tiles (1 row on the sheet), and 1 tiny level (32x32) and 24 hours to submit your work. (Everyone works on the same day... so no shenanigans)
That is, if anyone is interested in these ideas... Perhaps those ideas are bit much

That one sounds epic
"Hi, I'm Tom Sellick's moustache."
XkyRauh
Mortimer's RightHand Man

Post by XkyRauh »

That "1 row, 32x32 map, 1 day" thing sounds fun!

I'm sorry I didn't get to contribute to this. I started on one, but got distracted by other things and missed the deadline. I didn't have much done besides the tileset, anyway. :)
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

XkyRauh wrote:That "1 row, 32x32 map, 1 day" thing sounds fun!

I'm sorry I didn't get to contribute to this. I started on one, but got distracted by other things and missed the deadline. I didn't have much done besides the tileset, anyway. :)
Well, hey... At least you have some tiles for the Franken-mod thing... :D

I was actually kind of hoping that you would take part in this, since the competition was blatantly inspired by your 2-level comp. :)
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

AND WTF!!! WHY DIDN'T ANYONE HERE EVER TRY TO DESTROY THAT DISTRILLERY IN LEVEL 2 OF MY MOD. SRSLY. THERE IS AN ENDING.
Players are not smart people. It took me a whole ten seconds to realize I had to shoot the piano in Para's mod, and it had a giant hand over it making scissor motions. The still looks far too much like environment, plain empty tiles. Had it an arrow pointing to it, a sprite-like thing working at it, or stood out fro the background, it would have been a more appealing target.
5. Minkcraft: I believe nothing of this. This was made by several people, in a timespan that definetly exceeded the time of this competition, lots of pre-engineered graphics I bet. Therefore I disqualify this. It's all very well made, but waaay too elaborate for this competitions intention. Also I got lost in your level. (as I do in all of them, I believe I never finish any of your levels, I never find the exit)
Actually, in total, not much more than the limit, the biggest problem was temporary music bugs. But indeed it was made by several people (At least, contributors.) I can't do music as fast as Bjorn does and LL supplied the fullscreen graphic-y stuff. Oddly enough, this didn't take much more than a day long jam session.

As mentioned before, a lot of this was stitched together from existing scrap graphics. Except the level, which shows. Hard.

I will when the competition is over... However, I wouldn't want some of the kiddies on these forums to see it...
The only thing I want to know, does it contain Molly graphics in any way, shape or form? :barf

Marta0 -- The second Keen mod with a world made of cheese... Confused I love those cats, especially the frame when you shoot them. Grin
Forgot that! It's awesome!

This was, of course, amazing. But it's too good looking. It makes me want to stop modding forever because no way I can compete with this stuff.
Seriously, it's not that good, the cracks show everywhere, there are no grass tiles, no enemies, ONE copy-paste environment level, it's all recycled. (Do you know what my next 24-hour mod will be? Think brickwork, I have a lot of brick tiles lying about.) I fully endorse Para's mod as the most awesome.

Some ideas include massive Franken-Mods
Awesome.

You get 13 custom tiles (1 row on the sheet), and 1 tiny level (32x32) and 24 hours to submit your work
Levels huh? I'll view that one cynically, no matter how small they are. Our level builders are the laziest people ever. Would you be given tiles, or get to make your own?
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

Bleen gets my vote :)
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

XkyRauh wrote:That "1 row, 32x32 map, 1 day" thing sounds fun!
This one's a pretty good idea -- I would make a submission, certainly. The user sends the tileset, tileinfo, and the level, and those are combined into one mod/whatever using the multiple tileset patch and the player could enter the levels from the world map.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

The only thing I want to know, does it contain Molly graphics in any way, shape or form? :barf
Maybe... ;)
Marta0 -- The second Keen mod with a world made of cheese... Confused I love those cats, especially the frame when you shoot them. Grin
Wait... What was the OTHER cheese mod?
Also, did anyone find out how to get the stunner and pogostick? I couldn't reach the one at the beginning of the level, and I couldn't find any others.
This really frustrated me.
I fully endorse Para's mod as the most awesome.
:blush Awww... shucks.
Levels huh? I'll view that one cynically, no matter how small they are. Our level builders are the laziest people ever. Would you be given tiles, or get to make your own?
You have to draw 13 custom tiles for the tiny level/room.
Then, all the submissions get compiled into one mod.

I suppose the very last level could be composed of everyone's tiles combined, or something along those lines.

If people can't even make one tiny level, then I will lose all faith in this community. :dead
Flyingmouse
Vortininja

Post by Flyingmouse »

I like the puzzle aspect of Oasiz's mod, so that gets my vote.

Edit: Knew it- I'm the only one who voted for it. :dead2
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Paramultart wrote:
Wait... What was the OTHER cheese mod?
Also, did anyone find out how to get the stunner and pogostick? I couldn't reach the one at the beginning of the level, and I couldn't find any others.
This really frustrated me.
That first stunner is out in plain sight just to tease you :p
But it also has a good reason for being there, which is to remind you where to go once you find the moon shoes.
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

Paramultart wrote:Wait... What was the OTHER cheese mod?
Um... wasn't it the Patchwork Mod 2?
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

I refuse to believe Minkraft has an exit. I pulled all the stupid switches and they do nothing. LL you didn't put in the exit. It's unbeatable. >:
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

I pulled all the stupid switches and they do nothing.
Thats the problem ;) One of the switches is a trick.

Working on beating Marta's adventure, managed to get the spring boots (without cheating this time!) but died to a cat.

Edit: woo, done. After playing the whole level through, it made a lot more sense than when I originally tried it; could see the purpose behind each area being designed the way it was, especially those two spots with the 1 tile open space to kill the cats before going to those areas later. Agree with Tulip, great use of the animation in the end game.