Commander Keen: Defender Of Earth! (lite fanfiction)

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Commander Keen: Defender Of Earth! (lite fanfiction)

Post by Lava89 »

For those who haven't read this before, this was a fanfic that I did for fun to give Pizza2004 or anyone else ideas in the Commander Keen Book thread. As I had said when I first wrote it, I'm not in a hurry to write more chapters, I may stop here or I may write a few more chapters. The basic point is just to have fun with this.

Some have noted that my story covers alot of ground. Which is how I actually want to approach this-- more like the script for a movie or comic book, rather than a fully fledged novel. My basic goal is to fill in the blanks of the backstory from the games without conflicting with already established game continuity. Part of keeping things true to the original games, is also being true to the spirit of the games by attempting to make the stories humorous. Because I feel the Keen series as a whole is very comedic. After all, the bulk of Tom Hall's inspiration came from Duck Dodgers cartoons and the premise of Keen itself is pretty absurd if you think about it. Not saying, my stories are going to automatically be funny, I will certainly try and people will decide that on their own.

I also thought that adopting the moniker "Commander Keen: Defender of Earth!" would be helpful, so people can differentiate between my style and other fanfictions attempting to retell the original games. This is what they also do with comic books, like the difference between Ultimate Spider-man or Amazing Spider-man-- each follows different storytelling styles and situations.

So here goes:
  • Commander Keen: Defender Of Earth! -- The Invasion of the Vorticons: Part One: Prologue

Billy Blaze, eight year-old genius, was hard at work in his clubhouse. His project: The Extra-stellar Telescope 9000. Billy had just finished it and was adjusting its parameters so he could have a closer look at the farther reaches of space. But just as a strange object appeared in his scope, something most terrible happened; his mom yelled out to him from the backyard porch for him to come to bed. Billy was frustrated but knew if he ignored her the fourth time there would be consequences. So he replied "alright…mom". Billy turned off his telescope and put the screwdriver back in his clubhouse, on a table. Also on his table was a radio he was constructing but he put it on the backburner to finish the telescope and his "big" project. He then closed the door of his clubhouse that had the sign "keep out" on it, which gave him a false comfort.

The clubhouse was made out of crude wooden boards he nailed together. He knew he could've tried harder in its construction but it was all he needed for privacy and shelter of his projects. Before Billy could pull himself away and go inside the house he had to pat his "big" project goodnight, which just looked like a big lump under a tarp. He then reluctantly shuffled across his lawn to go inside his house, as he walked by his favorite tree he pushed the tire swing in defiance and let it swing back. Billy opened the screen door to the kitchen, took the stair case to the left and tromped up stairs.

When he was getting in bed his mom asked from the downstairs kitchen "Billy, are you all ready to go sleep?" he replied "yes, mom" and got in bed; Billy knew if he complied it could give him a sooner chance to be alone. His mother made her way upstairs and tucked him in. After the lights were off and door closed, his eyes were awake; he knew he had to check that telescope and thought to himself "I can't sleep when there's interstellar things out there…". He then jumped off his bed, and traded his sleeping garb for his standard clothes; he pulled out his brothers football helmet, that he was hiding under his bed, then out of his closet he grabbed his classic purple shirt, jeans and one of his most critical articles of clothing, which were red converse shoes. He jumped back on his bed and posed, the voice of a nasally announcer played in his head "Commander Keen-- defender of Earth!".

Meanwhile, a distant space craft is flying through space, she looms towards her destination. She almost has eyes, which glow. She has a growl; the rumble of the sheer power of her weaponry. Her claws, her talons thirst for battle. The ship continues to hurl through space.

Later on Earth, around 2:00 am, an alien ship lands in a distant part of the USA. Its crew is most fervent in their beliefs. They make a pilgrimage to what is considered by them to be a sacred place. The structure has markings on it so travelers will know where they are, these markings read in big, glowing letters 'TOYS R US". The aliens come out of their ship and ransack the building in a fury. Coming out of the store with bags full of toys-- such as teddy bears, hula hoops and skateboards, they get back in the ship. The vessel then stops at a nearby Costco because the crew is thirsty.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Commander Keen: Defender Of Earth! -- The Invasion of the Vorticons: Part One: Chapter 1

The next day Billy barely got out of bed. The first thing he knew he had to do was get ready for school, which he did, but while phasing in and out of sleep. Eventually he moseyed down stairs to the dining room; empty but evident of some recent usage. His head leaned against his arm as he poured himself Sugar Stoopies; he put in more that morning to give him a sugar rush. He wanted to kill two birds with one stone, which was to hide from his parents that he was tired and also so he could keep awake at school. If his parents noticed his sluggishness it would be a major non-sequitur for them. Thus there would be questions, which always happened when they would have Billy go to bed early on "school nights" and see him drained the next morning. He also wanted to be awake so he could fit in time to draw some diagrams during recess.

Billy quickly ate his cereal while looking around to make sure his parents weren't in the room; after the third bowl he was now a live wire. He looked around and noticed that both his sister and brother had left for school. When glancing down at his watch he knew he was already late. As he ran out the door he thought to himself "Man oh man! Do I wish I had a watch that would alert me of stuff!" Not that Billy was unaware of Nineteen-Nineties technology-- as there was a watch out there that would indeed tell him such things. He just had a knack for making things himself, so he could battle the "incompetence of man's mainstream technology".

He got to the sidewalk and looked down the street, but the bus had already left. He put out his thumb to hitchhike, but the cold wind of the cars going by only left him one option. He ran into his room and grabbed one of his beloved possessions-- his pogo. To put his pogo skills to the test he bounced in zigzag pattern down the street. He finally got to the school before the bus, but at the expense of the pogo spring, which was out of whack. He looked down at it and thought "hmm, maybe I could fix it later" and put down the pogo next to the bikes in the rack, outside of the school and tied a chain around it to prevent theft. Running inside, he made it just in time to endure learning stuff he already knew, until he could work on his diagrams when he got a break.

During lunchtime, Billy tried to blend in at the cafeteria by squeezing in around a large groups of kids, so he wouldn't be spotted by a bully. When he would sit in the corner by himself it only meant he was an easy target, especially for being an eight year old nerd. Being a nerd at that age meant that the chances of getting beat up increased six years early before High School. So sitting with kids that might give him some minor mockery is far better treatment than getting beat up, because getting a swirlie was not as much of a fallback in dignity as it was fulfilling his personal deadlines.

When Billy sat down he had just moved from another table. Immediately he started erasing the scribbles of his previous tormentors but forgot to look up at who he was sitting with. These were not just some hyper eight year olds on pixy-stix. Instead these were the big kids, whom were held back a few grades. However, these kids didn’t make fun of Billy right away; instead just give that cold stare, because they were almost pinching themselves that someone of his status would even think of sitting with them, as they had a new victim when this group dealt "mockery" they usually left their biological version of a carbon footprint. Billy blanked and couldn't believe what he just did. Before he could close his folder and get up a shadow loomed over him-- the group's leader had returned with a lunch tray. It was Mortimer McMire-- Grand Bully of the school and brother of Molly, Billy's babysitter. Dressed in his normal wear of a black t-shirt and jeans, with red Vans on; he pointed at one of Billy's drawings.

"What's that?? Mister THREE FOURTEEN??" he demanded.

Billy was still stunned so the only idea he had in his mind was to answer him, nervously.

"Uh, it's a space ship"

"What?? Do you actually believe those hoaxes that life is out there in space?? No wonder your IQ score was lower than mine!"

Just as usual, Mortimer had to remind him of that eventful day, when he and Billy took that school IQ test. Billy got 314 and Mortimer got 315. Billy took the test in hoping that it would give him a higher standing with his peers if he had something to show for his "techno babble". Instead it just soured things for him, because now he was only one that was almost equal to the IQ of the biggest bully in the school, thus there was some competition. Also, being a smart bully only made things worse-- not only did he beat people up, he had an intellectual side to it. Those who couldn't spot more than one image in gestalt illusions or guess mathematical formulas got instant swirlies, but that was for the feeble minded. Billy got special treatment: his formulas were usually from high calculus classes and the Gestalt images were more intricate. Not that Billy was unable answer the questions, Mort would just make him answer them after he was worn out from trying to escape. He also got his own personal "signs" taped on his back, instead of a "kick me" sign it was "kick me AND punch me".

Billy did not find any safety when around any of the other bullies, because Mortimer kept them all on his side. He did this by helping them cheat their way to the fourth grade, thus he had some muscle. Mortimer was the best thing who came to their group; a kid who was not held back that would provide them leadership into the next grade. However he still had slacker tendencies, because he approached his intelligence more from an arrogant point of view. For instance he would not do his homework but aced the tests-- he was smart and lovin' it. He was known in class for always sitting in the very back, eyeing his next victims.

Billy's time was running out and Mortimer was impatient to deal out bullying; he already put his tray down to cross his arms. So to stall some time Billy thought he would compliment Mortimer. He scooped his folder up and took a step back "I, uh, liked your dummy exhibit from the science fair, last year, Mortimer." Mort gave him a nasty look "You mean the exhibit that got LAST place??" Billy looked down and was kicking himself for not remembering that. But just as Mortimer was about to raise a fist the bell rang and Billy ran with his drawings to class.

That night Billy was on top of his clubhouse with the telescope, he moved it up higher in a futile determination that it will help him see closer into space. "I don't care what he says, I just know there's life out there. Now where was that object I found? I haven't seen it since I first finished my 'scope. I stayed up almost all night looking for it.". He started turning his scope to the planets, so he could get a better look at them, but there was only so much he could see. He then looked down at his tarp

"I think it's time to start working on my big project."
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Meta-Update 1 -- Commander Keen: Defender of Earth Chapter 2

Post by Lava89 »

Meta-Update 1 -- Commander Keen: Defender of Earth (Chapter 2)

After a 5 year hiatus, I've returned to my old fanfiction that retells the original Keen games. So why did I finally return to it? Well after writing "Commander Keen In.....Escape from Darticus Fror!" in response to Wiivn's prompt, it really got my creative juices going and I wrote Chpter 2 quickly after; because it reminded me of what made writing these stories so fun-- "cut to the chase" storytelling and making a joke out of every situation Commander Keen is in.

I've also felt these stories are more or less a companion to Keen64. Not saying that Keen64 is going to really include it, but so far both this fanfiction and Keen64 retell "Commander Keen: Marooned on Mars" in entirely new mediums, while trying to retain the spirit and style of the original games.

Now some may rememeber or be looking at the book thread and notice that there were alot of edits for Chapter 1. Well, I took Ceilick's advice and recently edited both Chapter 1 and Prologue. So what you see in this thread are the latest versions of Chapter 1 and the Prologue.

So without further ado, here is Chapter 2, after 5 years!
  • Commander Keen: Defender of Earth Chapter 2: Target Practice (Draft 2)

…”If am I ever to go into space, I better know how to defend myself!”

Billy said to himself as he grabbed small pellets he had made out of rubber cement; the cement was something he had started experimenting a lot with lately. After he missed the tenth soup can, he sighed “man, most kids get a BB gun, but I gotta work with these pellets…”. He could just throw rocks, but preferred the uniform shape he could sculpt the pellets into and he also didn't know if he'd be able to always find rocks that were a good "throwing size".

Just as he looked toward the sky, which was slowly becoming sunset, his mom came out to the backyard, which startled him. Being secretive, he whacked the remaining cans to hide them behind the barrels “is everything alright, Billy?” she enquired “uhh, yes, just fine! Just practicing to join the little league baseball team next year”, he responded nervously, “ok well, I just wanted to tell you that I’m ordering pizza, in case you’re hungry” and she went back inside. He waited a few minutes and lifted half of the tarp over and started applying the rest of the rubber cement, he had remaining, to the structure he was building “I’m so glad my parents bought the “art project” story I told them to get them to buy me this cement”. About forty minutes later he was about to work on the other side until he rushed to pull the tarp back down as he heard “PIZZA’S HERE!”. He went in to grab some, before his mom decided to possibly come out there again, in case he didn’t hear her the first time. After he grabbed a paper plate full, he walked outside and waited until his parents started to settle down and relax with their food.

As he was waiting, he started to think of ways to improve his aim; Billy wasn't always the "practice till you get it right" type; if there was a more efficient way to attack a problem he was already drawing the schematics for it. He suddenly got a surge of inspiration and tosses his plate of pizza on the workbench, then rushes inside. Looking behind himself as he sneaks into his brother's room, who was reading comics and listening to his walkman. He kneels down and grabs something that was discarded on the floor. Just as he thought he could slink back out, undetected, he hears "HEY, IS THAT MY FOOTBALL HELMET?" in an angry tone. Billy nervously responds "uhh, no?" and held up an old green nerf gun in surrender "ok, GOOD…I can't find my helmet anywhere, and if I see you with it, I'm gonna make that McMire guy's torture look like a tickle fight", nodding in compliance, Billy scurried out of there.

Outside, he lined up another soup can on the wooden plank, stood ten feet away and threw out the ammo that was already in it. Loading in his rubber pellets and aiming straight, he yelled "DIE ALIEN SCUM!" as he shot the can clear off the bench. Pointing the gun by his mouth, he blew the end of his "smoking" gun. He felt much more of a kick back with the pellets in there, rather than the empty pin pong like balls it normally takes. Surging with confidence he stuck the gun in his pocket as a poor man's holster.

Later as it had gotten dark, he peeled part of the tarp back off his project and dragged out an old boat windshield from behind his club house. He had struck a deal with a junk man after fixing his TV and got the visor in return. He lifts it over his tiny shoulders and snaps it into place, where a cockpit might be. Pulling out the rest of his collected parts he had some PCP pipes and put them in place as some kind of rods or “thrusters” sticking out; he lined up the non dented “bean with bacon” soup cans and hung them on the pipes.

He couldn’t take it any longer; the tarp was restricting his ability to see the “bigger picture”. So flying in the face of fear from his family coming out to discover his project, he had a strong desire to unveil his creation and see what was left to add; he ripped the tarp off to reveal a white, cone-shaped spacecraft. There were two wings, one on either side of the “cone”; on the end of each wing were the soup-can-lined rods. Like a janitor at a mop convention, he started hyperventilating at the mere of idea of going into space with it; so in a fit of inspiration he blurted out as the name came to him

“That’s it! It’s the Bean-with-Bacon MEGAROCKET!”

He could now see what was left to add; he looked up at the cockpit “…it will need a Manual Flight Control apparatus”, and he knew it had no power and thought of ideas for an “Electrical Systems Power device”. Next, he went to the back of the “cone” and noticed a perfect spot where he could fit an “Ion Propulsion Unit”. Lastly, it would need a source of Fuel. He looked toward his own house, squinting intently.

…“to get this baby to run, I’m going to need a few things…and I know just where to look…”
Last edited by Lava89 on Wed Jun 03, 2015 17:39, edited 1 time in total.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Re: Meta-Update 1 -- Commander Keen: Defender of Earth Chapt

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Lava89 wrote:he ripped the tarp off to reveal a spaceship.
This is anticlimactic after all the buildup. Plus, I think it sort of violates the show don't tell rule, in that it needs more details. A spaceship? Just a spaceship? It's the Bean-With-Bacon-Megarocket! It needs a grand opening, with lovecraftian-esque description.

Maybe it's just me.
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Re: Meta-Update 1 -- Commander Keen: Defender of Earth Chapt

Post by Lava89 »

VikingBoyBilly wrote:Maybe it's just me.
No, I think you made valid points.
It's the Bean-With-Bacon-Megarocket!
Kind of-- the next chapter is going to be "The Heist", where he goes around the house and gets the rest of the parts (joystick, vaccuum, etc). So it's technically not the MegaRocket....yet.

So maybe I should've emphasized more of the fact that the ship is unfinished, at this point?

Or have him keep the ship under the tarp until he has everything completed? Which leads me to a crossroads.... if I keep everything too secret, the reader won't know why he's getting the parts in the next chapter (i.e. won't know he's building a spaceship), which won't generate as much suspense. However waiting to show everything at the last minute, does give more of a payoff to the build up.

Thanks!
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Well, the readers are keen fans; we all know what it is. Even with the suspense, it's not exactly a reveal (I guess by definition, that means it's not suspense, but whatever). But still, it's leading up to... how do I put this?

Keen Porn. The Bean With Bacon Megarocket is Keen porn. Well, I guess Fanservice is the word I'm looking for. You can either describe it in loving detail and point out that it's unfinished, or Keen can think to himself that his machine is unfinished and needs to collect parts, to be revealed when he's finished.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

It's just the bean. No bacon yet.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

VikingBoyBilly wrote:Well, the readers are keen fans
Not necessarily. While yes, the current audience are keeners-- the target audience is intended for both fans and non-fans alike.

Now you may be wondering, how would non-fans even see this fan-fiction? Well I don't have any plans to post this on fanfiction websites or anything, but I wouldn't mind adapting this to a comic book or an animated short film. Not saying it's Pixar or Marvel quality-- it's just that if I ever did want to pursue retelling Keen 1 in comic or movie form, this is the place to start-- forming a script.

As for the actual fanfic...I think the best course of action is to tell chapter 3 how I was going to approach it originally. But I'll take your advice and when I do get to Keen completing the BWB-MR, I'll be sure to give it a big entrance with "lovecraftian-esque description", much like how I tried to introduce Keen in the prologue.
Keening_Product wrote:It's just the bean. No bacon yet.
LOL, exactly!
Mort
Vortininja

Post by Mort »

Lava89 wrote: He put out his thumb to hitchhike, but the cold wind of the cars going by only left him one option.
I want the story where some random weirdo actually picks Keen up and the wacky antics that ensue on his way to school. :D

I really like chapter 1 and how you build Billy as an outcast. And Mortimer really seems ominous, especially with his posse of dim-witted toadies.

One thing that would have made the toy raid scene a little more interesting is if it was actually told from one of the Martians' point of view. That would give it a bit more of a unique perspective and subtlety. Especially since they might not have known how to read the store's name and would have described it as something like "the ultimate shrine of sacred idols overlooked by our spotted, long-necked messiah."
Lava89 wrote: Or have him keep the ship under the tarp until he has everything completed? Which leads me to a crossroads.... if I keep everything too secret, the reader won't know why he's getting the parts in the next chapter (i.e. won't know he's building a spaceship), which won't generate as much suspense. However waiting to show everything at the last minute, does give more of a payoff to the build up.
I'm ok with revealing the ship. Only I think the reveal would have been more impactful if Billy would have followed up with a lovingly detailed (within reason) description of the ship. And maybe describe some of the missing parts so that would lead into the next chapter.

That's just me though. I enjoyed it so far. Hope to see more. ;)
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

Mort wrote:I want the story where some random weirdo actually picks Keen up and the wacky antics that ensue on his way to school. :D
Haha, that sounds awesome! Almost makes me want to make a story where Keen's BWB breaks down out in space, and he has to hitch-hike with a bunch of aliens. I'll just have to make sure it doesn't sound too much like another series about hitchhiking in space.
I really like chapter 1 and how you build Billy as an outcast. And Mortimer really seems ominous, especially with his posse of dim-witted toadies.
Thanks! I always thought Billy would be an absolute nerd in his school days. Not unlike how you portray him in your comics.
One thing that would have made the toy raid scene a little more interesting is if it was actually told from one of the Martians' point of view. That would give it a bit more of a unique perspective and subtlety. Especially since they might not have known how to read the store's name and would have described it as something like "the ultimate shrine of sacred idols overlooked by our spotted, long-necked messiah."
Interesting! I will consider experimenting with this different angle and if I come up with anything I will definitely post it. Thanks!
I think the reveal would have been more impactful if Billy would have followed up with a lovingly detailed (within reason) description of the ship. And maybe describe some of the missing parts so that would lead into the next chapter.
Ok, VBB kind of alluded to this as well and I think this is clearly the best of both worlds; I can give the BWB its "just due" description, and the non-keen readers can also follow along into the next chapter. Then I won't feel constrained in the next chapters of when to properly introduce the BWB.
That's just me though. I enjoyed it so far. Hope to see more. ;)
Thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts! It helped.

So I changed chapter 2 up above to draft 2, and gave the BWB an earlier introduction. Here is the tail end of the chapter, where Billy starts to work on the BWB-- since the rest is pretty much the same:
  • Chapter 2: Target Practice (Draft 2): Snippet

Later as it had gotten dark, he peeled part of the tarp back off his project and dragged out an old boat windshield from behind his club house. He had struck a deal with a junk man after fixing his TV and got the visor in return. He lifts it over his tiny shoulders and snaps it into place, where a cockpit might be. Pulling out the rest of his collected parts he had some PCP pipes and put them in place as some kind of rods or “thrusters” sticking out; he lined up the non dented “bean with bacon” soup cans and hung them on the pipes.

He couldn’t take it any longer; the tarp was restricting his ability to see the “bigger picture”. So flying in the face of fear from his family coming out to discover his project, he had a strong desire to unveil his creation and see what was left to add; he ripped the tarp off to reveal a white, cone-shaped spacecraft. There were two wings, one on either side of the “cone”; on the end of each wing were the soup-can-lined rods. Like a janitor at a mop convention, he started hyperventilating at the mere of idea of going into space with it; so in a fit of inspiration he blurted out as the name came to him

“That’s it! It’s the Bean-with-Bacon MEGAROCKET!”

He could now see what was left to add; he looked up at the cockpit “…it will need a Manual Flight Control apparatus”, and he knew it had no power and thought of ideas for an “Electrical Systems Power device”. Next, he went to the back of the “cone” and noticed a perfect spot where he could fit an “Ion Propulsion Unit”. Lastly, it would need a source of Fuel. He looked toward his own house, squinting intently.

…“to get this baby to run, I’m going to need a few things…and I know just where to look…”
I hope that's better :)
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Lava89 wrote:Like a janitor at a mop convention,
I love this simile :)

So the vacuum was a propulsion device? Now it makes sense.