Fan-art thread

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

That's funny. I find girls faces much easier. Their thinner chins and roundyness just lend themselves better to my simplistic and er... cutesy style. Quickest example I can find of my own work:

http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/ ... 5i3cpy.png

There's a pretty decent guide on women's faces in How to Draw Comics The Marvel Way:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gE868PdLb7k

I find their take on it... ah... kinda pig headed :pig
No really, what's wrong with multiple eyelashes? But it's a place to start.
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

I'm sorry, her face was the last thing to get my attention.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
Levack
Vortininja

Post by Levack »

Celick's Lindsey looks (well,to me)rather bad,so I changed her eyes and hair. now she looks much better.
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

Keening_Product wrote:I'm sorry, her face was the last thing to get my attention.
I'm kinda curious about what you did actually look at first then :p
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

Nospike wrote:
Keening_Product wrote:I'm sorry, her face was the last thing to get my attention.
I'm kinda curious about what you did actually look at first then :p
Propably the same inflated body part as I did.
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
guynietoren
Vorticon Elite

Post by guynietoren »

Been too long away from keen art.
Let me know if you see something I can improve on.
Click image for full size.

Last edited by guynietoren on Wed Jan 23, 2013 20:46, edited 3 times in total.
Flaose
Vorticon Elder

Post by Flaose »

Where are his opposable thumbs?! Maybe add some mind-control lights to his belt (assuming it's a hostile Vorticon). Overall great work though!
Cerebral Cortex 314 - For All of your Commander Keen Needs.
Eat at Joe's
guynietoren
Vorticon Elite

Post by guynietoren »

Perhaps he has 2 opposable thumbs with no fingers. Not sure if that's a thing at all. Can add belt gadgets later.
And here's this... I couldn't resist. Perhaps why the Vorts were interested in Mars.
Last edited by guynietoren on Wed Jan 23, 2013 20:46, edited 3 times in total.
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

There's something wrong with his lower jaw...as if his collar was too tight.
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Indeed, it's like he's being strangled.

Commander Keen: The Too-Tight Tie!
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
guynietoren
Vorticon Elite

Post by guynietoren »

Fair 'nuff. And I thought people would think the legs didn't look right. Or maybe they still don't, but the neck thing is too much to get past.

On second look, BT's comics didn't give them a collar or much of a jaw. I'll still have to figure out what I could change it too other than a ski suit.

Edit:
There I gave him a neck and lowered the collar. And the obvious change is the belt gadgets. And yes, I used the glare as an excuse to not draw more on the first and part of the second screen. :p
biffstudly
Vortininja

Post by biffstudly »

guynietoren wrote:Fair 'nuff. And I thought people would think the legs didn't look right. Or maybe they still don't, but the neck thing is too much to get past.

On second look, BT's comics didn't give them a collar or much of a jaw. I'll still have to figure out what I could change it too other than a ski suit.

Edit:
There I gave him a neck and lowered the collar. And the obvious change is the belt gadgets. And yes, I used the glare as an excuse to not draw more on the first and part of the second screen. :p

:drool that looks awesome! The original did too, but the update even more-so. I love high res pixal art, especially because it's actually really difficult to make it look good. I usually limit myself to game sprite sizes. At the very most, like 300x300, and that's my extreme. You should upload this stuff to Pixeljoint, I'm sure they'd love it, especially with the level of detail you throw into the pot.

I have to ask though (sorry if you already said earlier in the thread) what program do you use to make these? For pixel art I usually stick with Graphicsgale, just because I can customize my own palettes and keep it organized.

Once again though, awesome job, and an A1 job with the belt.

As a request, if you ever find the time (I have a baby too, haha I know it can be hard), I'd absolutely love to see a custom, original keen title screen in your style. It'd blow me away. :D
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

I know that since they are apparent carnivores, they naturally have strong and robust jaws. But it looks to me he's the Vorticon version of Ridge Forrester.

My suggestion in .png format:
guynietoren
Vorticon Elite

Post by guynietoren »

biffstudly wrote: You should upload this stuff to Pixeljoint
I have my stuff posted on DeviantArt. That link should take you to my Keen art folder.
biffstudly wrote: I have to ask though (sorry if you already said earlier in the thread) what program do you use to make these? For pixel art I usually stick with Graphicsgale, just because I can customize my own palettes and keep it organized.
It's all done on MSPaint. I prefer the Windows7 version except for the limit on the erase brush size for swapping colors. But yes it doesn't save color pallets like any other version of it.
biffstudly wrote: I'd absolutely love to see a custom, original keen title screen in your style. It'd blow me away. :D
I did a title screen for Valentine's Keen, but haven't had time to play the mod. It's definitely on my to do list. This title screen borrowed some design elements from Space Quest 3, like with the ship rivets and mountains.
Grimson wrote:I know that since they are apparent carnivores, they naturally have strong and robust jaws. But it looks to me he's the Vorticon version of Ridge Forrester.
I do like him better with the jaw thinned out. So I'll end up working on that sometime. I may give him floppier ears. But the ones he has are just traced from scaled up sprites.

It does bug me a bit that my art style in this series is a bit inconsistent. The more detailed bits have up to 4 shades of the same color where the larger areas are stuck at 2. Especially when I was wanting to detail it more. But I still like how the colors turned out. Base colors are mostly toned down versions of EGA, as full saturated colors seem harsh on the eyes.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

That rocks.
That rocks Vorticon socks.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass