Stupidbunny's Robo Blue

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
mortimermcmirestinks
Owner of Club Vort

Stupidbunny's Robo Blue

Post by mortimermcmirestinks »

Here's a picture:

I'm making a sprite sheet for it. I think it's a very good representation of a Robo Red-like robot. This thread is for discussion of it, as I don't think the Fan-Art thread is big enough.

EDIT: Here's the sheet:

The dark-eyed ones are dead. I'm thinking about getting the bullets changed, too...
Last edited by mortimermcmirestinks on Fri Oct 15, 2010 22:55, edited 1 time in total.
...says the most charming guy in the room.

I'm back... kind of? Not really.

You can also find me here.
RoboBlue
It's that one guy.

Post by RoboBlue »

Hey cool, that's a pretty good likeness of me. :) The torso looks a bit too much like a deodorant stick though.
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

I'm glad you liked it enough to make a sprite sheet (pending) of it. :) I'll probably draw more Robos so I'll post them here.
RoboBlue wrote:Hey cool, that's a pretty good likeness of me. :) The torso looks a bit too much like a deodorant stick though.
Haha I see what you mean...I probably should've made it taper a bit towards the bottom.
mortimermcmirestinks
Owner of Club Vort

You know this song?

This old man,
he played one,
he played knick-knack on my thumb...

Well, here's another version:

You shoot him,
he shoots you,
This guy's called a Robo Blue...

StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

None too shabby! :D (More about the sprite than the song...)
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Nice design, stupidbunny! Given the more compact head structure and the style of weapon, I imagine robo blue is designed as an attack/assault robot rather than a guard robot like its red counterpart.

Nice sprite design, MMS. There's room for improvement, but you've got the skills to be modding, hint hint.

Alternate Robo Blue sprite:

Last edited by Ceilick on Sat Oct 16, 2010 0:25, edited 1 time in total.
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

Ceilick wrote:Nice design, stupidbunny! Given the more compact head structure and the style of weapon, I imagine robo blue is designed as an attack/assault robot rather than a guard robot like its red counterpart.
Thanks :) That actually is kind of what I had in mind...that would also explain why the Omegamatic wouldn't have had any on board, since it wasn't meant to garrison military units and so wouldn't need assault robots. (Also, your sprite is win :D )
guynietoren
Vorticon Elite

Post by guynietoren »

Sprites aren't my thing, but here's my go at it full sized.

Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

So this has sparked what I think is a pretty neat mod idea that, I think, would be a good opportunity to get some 'beginners' involved in galaxy modding.

The idea is something like an "omegamatic mk II" plot, which has been used before but not quite like I have in mind. This would be a keen 6 mod (not keen5!) but primarily using keen 5 graphics along with some new graphics (significantly reducing the amount of time it would take to produce this). We'd have 'new' versions of a lot of familiar enemies from keen 5 (Robo Blue replacing the bip ship with some patching, sparky mk II replacing the nospike, 4 variations of korath for the blooglet, etc).

Gameplay could take place both aboard the omegamatic mk II and on the planet Korath itself (this is where most of the new tiles would come in, I imagine).
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

I got an idea too, this Robo Blue would really fit as the snickian assault robot in my mod, but I don't think I could use it without making it suck.
mortimermcmirestinks
Owner of Club Vort

Ceilick wrote:So this has sparked what I think is a pretty neat mod idea that, I think, would be a good opportunity to get some 'beginners' involved in galaxy modding.
Well, yeah, if you're hinting to me as in a previous post "Nice sprite design, MMS. There's room for improvement, but you've got the skills to be modding, hint hint. ", I'm not really up to modding, as well as not seeming to understand how to mod, at all.
Ceilick wrote:The idea is something like an "omegamatic mk II" plot, which has been used before but not quite like I have in mind.

Sort of like that one mod, KeenX I think it was called? It was a Keen 1 mod based on TUIT, involving Sparky mark IIs as the gargs.
Ceilick wrote:This would be a keen 6 mod (not keen5!) but primarily using keen 5 graphics along with some new graphics (significantly reducing the amount of time it would take to produce this).

Good idea, although I'd really prefer it to be Keen 5 (a mod of, I mean)
Ceilick wrote:We'd have 'new' versions of a lot of familiar enemies from keen 5
Yeah-- possibly:

The Shikadi, but more Shikadi-- like the babies and females-- replacing Bloogs
The Shockshund Elites replacing Orbatices
Some sort of small robots replacing the Giks
Some sort of reeeally dangerous monster boss robot (Robo yellow? Robo green?) replacing the Fleexes
Ceilick wrote:(Robo Blue replacing the bip ship with some patching,
A LOT of patching. You'd need to multiply the amount of shots, both needed to kill it and how much they shoot, as well as making the shots go straight and be deady to the touch, AND getting rid of the leftover Bip, or maybe turning it into a spark or engine of some sort.
Ceilick wrote:sparky mk II replacing the nospike,

Good idea, but PLEASE make it at least looking like a Sparky. The ones in Keen X didn't really.
Ceilick wrote:4 variations of korath for the blooglet, etc).
Yeah... Korath, Koramom, Korakid, Korath Elite perhaps?
Ceilick wrote:Gameplay could take place both aboard the omegamatic mk II and on the planet Korath itself (this is where most of the new tiles would come in, I imagine).
Somewhat like a cross between Keen 3 and Keen 2, Only with Keen 5 graphics? More like Keen 5 with just more Korath III, I guess.

VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

RoboBlue wrote:The torso looks a bit too much like a deodorant stick though.
I'll never see robo red the same way again :(
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

FFFFF I typed out this super long post and my computer started freezing up :x I even managed to save it in openoffice before everything went to hell, and the after loading the document, its completely blank :bloody Okay, starting over:

My intention with this idea is to get several people who have a serious interest in Keen galaxy modding (more than just "hey that'd be cool!") but without the experience and know-how to make their own mods and 'teach' them, more or less, how its done. I'd be hesitant to call this a community project; interested people would have to adopt this as their personal project, even though they'd be working with others on it. Commitment and all that. For me, I'm interested in seeing it happen, but I'm more interested in getting more people into galaxy modding.
Sort of like that one mod, KeenX I think it was called? It was a Keen 1 mod based on TUIT, involving Sparky mark IIs as the gargs.
Those are the sparky mark IIs i was thinking of.
Good idea, although I'd really prefer it to be Keen 5 (a mod of, I mean)
The objective behind it being a keen 6 mod is to force creativity in recreating plot elements and enemies from keen 5 using new material. Its a challenge and forces people think outside the box, ultimately resulting in a better mod, I think.
Ceilick wrote:Ceilick wrote:
(Robo Blue replacing the bip ship with some patching,
A LOT of patching. You'd need to multiply the amount of shots, both needed to kill it and how much they shoot, as well as making the shots go straight and be deadly to the touch, AND getting rid of the leftover Bip, or maybe turning it into a spark or engine of some sort.
From experience, I don't think it would take so much: 1. Make the bipship immortal (this disconnects the bip from this enemy as well) 2. Increase the range at which the bipship will shoot at keen (the original has a very narrow range between itself and keen at which it will shoot) 3. Increase rate of fire slightly (this is already decently fast, but because of firing range extremely rare to see) and possibly increase the shot arch (not having it shoot straight is, I think, a neat feature of this sprite).

The situation I imagine is keen running into a room and robo blue comes on screen, immediately turning around when it senses keen behind it. Keen has to run full speed in the opposite direction with Robo Blue hot on his trail, laser fire scorching the ground at keen's heals.
Yeah... Korath, Koramom, Korakid, Korath Elite perhaps?
Good idea, but the korath elite must be the Korath Police! :korath :celtic
More like Keen 5 with just more Korath III, I guess.
Right, although why the shikadi are back, I don't know.
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

When making my Keen mod of Doom II a while back I envisioned an enemy which would be a "Korath police walker", which would be a small mech armed with a laser cannon or something. When destroyed, it would eject a Korath straight at the player (much like the bips in bipships, though that's obviously not how it'd have to be done in this mod.) I never got far in drawing the sprite, though, and unfortunately I'm not sure where all those graphics are. :(
Deltamatic
Vorticon Elite

Post by Deltamatic »

Just a few thoughts that popped up while reading:
Shikadi are energy plasma things. No need for having genders.
Since the Robo Blue assault bots are being used, maybe the Shikadi are invading Korath III?
To have the Koraths be enemies, you could say that they figured out the Shikadi are trying to blow up the galaxy so they're fighting them as hard as they can, and when another alien showed up they thought he was allied with the Shikadi.
Keen 6's satellite could be used for a Korath-Omegamatic ferry.