The world's first Keen fansite (from 1996!)

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
Grandy02
Vortininja

The world's first Keen fansite (from 1996!)

Post by Grandy02 »

According to the old CC314, "Arthur's 'Unofficial' Keen Page" was the first Keen fansite to ever be created. The link there is dead, of course, but fragments of the site do still exist in the Internet Archive - with the hint "Last Updated 01-11-96". :pogo

The actual fansite
Arthur's Home Page with a hint on this site

I know, it isn't that much left, but it's still a saved historical piece of Keen history! :)
PCKF Archive - The Keen Community's Past (and Present) | grandy02.shikadi.net
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Cool. I somehow remember seeing a version of it with working graphics... :confused Didn't know this was the first, though. Man, that time was a long ago...
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Djaser
Holy Monk Yorp

Post by Djaser »

I don't remember that website and I visited all that existed before I joined the PCKF back in early 2002.
Aaaah, not the bees!
GolfHacker
Vortininja

Post by GolfHacker »

Whatever happened to http://www.keengalaxy.com? That was a great fan site, but hasn't been around for a year or so.
Grandy02
Vortininja

Post by Grandy02 »

Djaser wrote:I don't remember that website and I visited all that existed before I joined the PCKF back in early 2002.
Maybe it was already dead when you started visiting.
PCKF Archive - The Keen Community's Past (and Present) | grandy02.shikadi.net
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

Holy crap. When that was last updated, I was ... six. :eek
Djaser
Holy Monk Yorp

Post by Djaser »

Grandy02 wrote:
Djaser wrote:I don't remember that website and I visited all that existed before I joined the PCKF back in early 2002.
Maybe it was already dead when you started visiting.
Could be but if Keenrush saw it, I should have seen it too.
Aaaah, not the bees!
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Hahah, nice logic, except for one small thing, we aren't the same person. :crazy It's possible you've either forgotten it, or just simply haven't come across it.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

KeenRush wrote:Hahah, nice logic, except for one small thing, we aren't the same person. :crazy
:lol KeenRush, you should use sarcasm like this more.
Djaser
Holy Monk Yorp

Post by Djaser »

KeenRush wrote:Hahah, nice logic, except for one small thing, we aren't the same person. :crazy It's possible you've either forgotten it, or just simply haven't come across it.
I'm well aware of that. That's why I said 'should have' and not 'must have.' But it's very very unlikely that I didn't come across it back in 2002. I just think it's odd, that's all.
Aaaah, not the bees!
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

Wow. I was just finishing primary school, and had only used the Internet for probably a grand total of an hour at that point. That's a great find. I wonder if the dopefish site it mentions was a direct predecessor to the existing one.

*seconds commendation of KeenRush's sarcasm*
Malvineous
Shikadi Webmaster

Post by Malvineous »

Heh, my first website went online in late 1996 - those were the good ol' days when web pages had background music, and it didn't annoy you 'cos you surfed the web in silence (since most PCs weren't really powerful enough to run Winamp *and* surf the web at the same time...)
XkyRauh
Mortimer's RightHand Man

Post by XkyRauh »

Wow... I don't remember any of this. I was online in 1996, but I didn't find the PCKF until what, 2000? :\

I do remember that a webpage I made about getting Platinum Relics in Crash Bandicoot 3 got some negative comments because I included background music in one of the frames... haha. Frames. Man, that's old stuff. :)
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

I would never have known about this site, since 1996 was well before I started using the internet. I have a laptop computer from about that time that has some dialup thing installed, but I don't ever remember using it.

Definitely a good find! :) Another little-known bit of the game's history...
entropicdecay
Mad Mushroom

Post by entropicdecay »

I don't think I've seen that before. Interesting piece of history, though.