Mystery Question

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
KeenEmpire
Intellectuality

Post by KeenEmpire »

if we're not ruling out alien abduction, it's hard to tell what we are ruling out
"In order to ensure our security, and continuing stability, the Kingdom has been reorganized into the First Vorticon Intellectuality!" Image
MortimerInBlack
Vortininja

Post by MortimerInBlack »

-"he could've just gotten onto a helicopter"
-Remember, nobody saw or heard anything that night; a helicopter landing in your backyard is very loud and would wake up everyone.
PS Keen Empire I'm eager to hear your theories; I luv ur fanfiction from back in the day.

yes, rule out advanced alien tech not on Earth, cuz the alien abduction solution has already been posted.

-"Wouldn't he be more worried about judging whether or not it's fake? I certainly would =P"
-Okay ima be honest here -- Nobody in the story is totally certain whether or not he was taken against his will; but that issue is IRRELEVANT; all i'm asking is how the guy could disappear without a scent like i described, whether he was kidnapped or not.

-"He switched into Experimental mode, SimAnt style, of course."
-I've no idea what ur talking about, but I think I understand it's not a serious solution... i think...

-"if we go back to the real world, he might've used a tightrope and possibly ladder if someone else were assisting him and removed it afterwards. not sure if that would shake off hounds. he might also still be there!"
-good thinking--i had not thought of tightrope/ladder, and i will accept this possibility, even though its pretty risky that he would be seen, even in the night. That makes 3 possible solutions so far. Also, he is not in the house--though they haven't thoroughly searched every conceivable place, it's been some time since the disappearance. I can't exactly give enough data from the story to prove he is not still at home, but just assume he is not.

-"Or he used the grab-people tongs in Roller Coaster Tycoon. (And then dropped him in the water. Guest #314 is drowning ...)"
-lol; if i knew exactly what ur talking about, i'd lol more ^^;

Remember, the mystery I'm asking is HOW HE GOT FROM ONE PLACE TO ANOTHER SUCH THAT THE HOUNDS CAN'T FOLLOW HIS SCENT;

so far, there are 3 solutions i know of:
1. alien abduction (could b voluntary if he contacted them);
2. tightrope/ladder thing (basically he got up high and travelled that way 4 for a bit);
3. A third solution i know of but no1 has posted yet;

again, there could be more; interesting theories so far!

EDIT: yes we are ruling out alien technology! but ur crazy ideas r still welcome if u really wanna post anyway
The Viking II lander actually did land on a 'rock' on Mars.
http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/nmc/masterCa ... =1975-083C
KeenEmpire
Intellectuality

Post by KeenEmpire »

are we also ruling out superadvanced human (i.e. keenish) technology? edit: although since you didn't accept the teleportation or temporal shift (time travel) theories, i presume this is a yes

i might be being too much of an ass.. generally i tackle logic problems by questioning everything =/

i also think keenrush may have been onto something when he said he could pogo.. if he can pogo nearly as far as keen does, he could hit his roof (where the bloodhound might be confused by conflicting smells from him living there) and go on from there.
"In order to ensure our security, and continuing stability, the Kingdom has been reorganized into the First Vorticon Intellectuality!" Image
KeenEmpire
Intellectuality

Post by KeenEmpire »

also, i wonder (at this point i'm purely speculating)

google seems to indicate blood hounds work on skin cells. what if the friend left the house at exactly 8pm, then gave a sample of skin (as well as some shedding mechanism) to a friend who comes at 3am to create a false trail that ends in the backyard? of course i have no idea whether this would actually work.
MortimerInBlack
Vortininja

okay, the only thing(s) we are rulling out are technology Earth is not capable of. That is to say, only what Earth is capable of applies to this mystery.

And when I say Earth, i mean the populace/scientific community, not Arnold Swarchneggar and his superhuman/holywood stuff. Keen is not Keen yet, he is just Billy and has no electronic stuff beyond an Amiga 2000 and some general satellite dish--all of which have nothing to do with any solution.

your skin sample would make a false trail, but it wouldn't stop the hounds from piking up on the friend's original trail. from 8pm to the mid-morning next day is proly not enough time for the original trail to fade from a hound's sense. So i personally rule it out.

BTW let's call the friend 'John' now.

the accomplice scenarios are very interesting, but my advice to you is to think without them. Billy is 6 years old here and John is about the same age. On the other hand, if John can make himself disappear like this, he must have some advanced knowledge, and with that come potential connections. So if u really wanna, go ahead and think along with an accomplice.
KeenEmpire
Intellectuality

Post by KeenEmpire »

impossible bullet trick is also a possibility :p

not sure if i can think of any more legitimate ones though. unless they had a giant airtight lawn-covering plastic foil that he walked over and then got his accomplices (hehe) to remove
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

KeenEmpire wrote:impossible bullet trick is also a possibility :p
I'm not sure that's such a good idea when you're outside with no ceiling above you. :eek
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

And, it's Keen's friend, and Commander Keen as such (nor his technologies) don't even exist yet.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
KeenEmpire
Intellectuality

Post by KeenEmpire »

CK Guy wrote:
KeenEmpire wrote:impossible bullet trick is also a possibility :p
I'm not sure that's such a good idea when you're outside with no ceiling above you. :eek
a tragic accident, no doubt.
MortimerInBlack
Vortininja

I'm not sure that's such a good idea when you're outside with no ceiling above you. Eek!
Nah, u could just walk off the bullet anytime ^^
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

MortimerInBlack wrote:
I'm not sure that's such a good idea when you're outside with no ceiling above you. Eek!
Nah, u could just walk off the bullet anytime ^^
Yeah, but Keen's friend doesn't have Keen's ability to fall arbitrarily long distances and come out unscathed.
MortimerInBlack
Vortininja

OH YEA, u just reminded me of something i wanted to say earlier.

I explain Keen's amazing jumping ability by saying that the gravity is significantly less at the places he goes to (e.g. mars). With such weaker gravity, terminal velocity is much slower so he won't hurt himself even from theoretically infinite height ^^

but uh, that has nothing to do with the mystery
KeenEmpire
Intellectuality

Post by KeenEmpire »

oh, so the pogo solution doesn't work here :(

to exploit the idea of keen's intelligence, he's probably very good at doing breakfalls with lightning quick reflexes, although this might only take him so far. Some people with IQ<314 have gotten lucky with terminal velocity falls, but they usually had a good cushion.

http://www.wikihow.com/Survive-a-Long-Fall
http://www.greenharbor.com/fffolder/carkeet.html
memsys
Vortininja

Post by memsys »

an airtight suit
he has a river in the backyard
(i used to be ME!)
KeenEmpire
Intellectuality

Post by KeenEmpire »