Stupid References are stupid

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Levellass wrote:
StupidBunny wrote:I'm pretty sure I remember it sucking but I haven't seen it in years. My verdict probably wouldn't change, though.
Science says it was terribly overrated: http://io9.com/a-chart-of-all-the-most- ... 1572898574
That guy did the chart wrong. Critics are Always Right. It's the audience that overrates things!

Except for that one time Nostalgia Critic gave the Rats of Nimh movie a good review and Atlantis a bad one. He's stupid. I'm right.
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
guynietoren
Vorticon Elite

Post by guynietoren »

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/0 ... _publisher

I giggled when I found the word "keen" in the article about a company called Goodbye Galaxy Games. The author of the article is named is Tom.
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

VikingBoyBilly wrote:Critics are Always Right. It's the audience that overrates things!
Critics originally panned Citizen Kane...
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

DHeadshot wrote:
VikingBoyBilly wrote:Critics are Always Right. It's the audience that overrates things!
The map in the Marathon: Trojan fan scenario? I'm surprised you know about something so obscure. It was a tough, irritating map, but it provided some pivotal exposition and introduced us to the new Durandal-ish AI. What critics are you talking about? I'll keen-haul them! :celtic
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

DHeadshot wrote:
Seriously now, what the hey is so good about that movie? It's ok sure, but I don't walk away from it going 'I have seen something that will change my life!' I don't go 'Wow, such amazing effects, such astounding characters!' It's meh. Pure, unadulterated meh!

Besides, it's not like audiences are any better. Just look at how much 'classic' music never saw its way to the top of the pops when it was written.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

You mean mozart and Ludwig von Bethoven were unpopular? :'(
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

I walked away from it going 'I have seen something that will change my life!'

And for mozart it's pretty much the same as mainstream pop: he was popular at his time and I don't like it.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

tulip wrote:I walked away from it going 'I have seen something that will change my life!'

And for mozart it's pretty much the same as mainstream pop: he was popular at his time and I don't like it.
That's exactly how I feel about William Shakespeare! Why is it okay for him to make up words, but it gets bad grades for the rest of us?
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

Or worse... taken away by the men in white coats

http://psychcentral.com/encyclopedia/2008/neologism/
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

VikingBoyBilly wrote:You mean mozart and Ludwig von Bethoven were unpopular? :'(
Not quite, but they had many many peers who today are unknown. And there was also 'non classical' music at the time that too has been forgotten. Queen was not unpopular in their heyday, but they were surrounded by and overshadowed by many other acts most of which have fallen by the wayside.

VikingBoyBilly wrote:
tulip wrote:I walked away from it going 'I have seen something that will change my life!'

That's exactly how I feel about William Shakespeare! Why is it okay for him to make up words, but it gets bad grades for the rest of us?
This in fact demonstrates what hackwork Shakespeare's writing was. We look at it now and go all 'Oh, so classic1 So fancy! So old!' but it's not! It was rude jokes and stories for people who wanted a night out boozing and snacking. The sex jokes never end, the innuendo is so thick you can cut it with a knife. Here's a quote or two for for you:

"Villain, thou hast undone our mother!"
"Villain, I have done thy mother."
--Titus Andronicus

"Away you three inch fool."
--The Taming of the Shrew (Guess who said THAT one.)

And there's much, much worse. Like for example when a fat chick is compared to a globe; when the location of Holland (whom the English did not like very much at that time.) was asked about the answer was pretty much 'between he legs' except stated rather more crudely (and with indications of whoredom.)
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
guynietoren
Vorticon Elite

Post by guynietoren »

Bloogbae
Grunt

Post by Bloogbae »

http://e314.mapyourshow.com/5_0/search.cfm

E3 info website
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

dang. Image
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

Levellass wrote: We look at it now and go all 'Oh, so classic1 So fancy! So old!' but it's not! It was rude jokes and stories for people who wanted a night out boozing and snacking.
reminds me of the book The Catcher In The Rye. i liked it, but the whole thing is just smart-ass remarks and doesn't even have a story. why do they consider that some sort of scolloly classic?
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

Keen paid my train fare the other day:

Commander Riker also offered.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass