Font on Keen 6 Manual Cover?

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
Ikaragua
Grunt

Font on Keen 6 Manual Cover?

Post by Ikaragua »

Hello,

I'm looking for the font used on the manual cover, i.e. the one used for the "ALIENS ate my BABYSITTER" text.

Thanks in advance!
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

Which manual? Different distributers made different boxes, so the chances are the manuals are different too...
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
kuliwil
Blue-tongued Yorp

Post by kuliwil »

DHeadshot wrote:Which manual? Different distributers made different boxes, so the chances are the manuals are different too...
Didn't Keen 6 only have the one distributor? Hence all the difficulties getting ahold of a copy?
"Hi, I'm Tom Sellick's moustache."
guynietoren
Vorticon Elite

Post by guynietoren »

I remember the old manual, but it was a black and white copy of it that I got from some guy at my dad's work long ago. I don't have it anymore, but I remember it had the same art as the box. Had to look through it to find the names of the enemies to play the game.
Ikaragua
Grunt

Post by Ikaragua »

This one:

Sorry, I didn't know that this is also the box cover, as I only have the manual.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

The text seen on this box art is technically not a font by any means. If you analyze the lettering closely, you can see that each letter is unique in some way, and there are no repeating letters. This leads me to believe that they are hand drawn. My only real solution is for you to browse around a font database and try to find something similar. Even then, your chances are pretty slim in finding a font that resembles what is seen on this box art.

I am curious as to why you need the font, anyway.
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
Ikaragua
Grunt

Post by Ikaragua »

It sounds reasonable now that you say it. What a pity. It really is a shame, because the font is the last thing I need to complete my project. I even found the box art without text and company logo, so that I can write my own text on it. Anyway, thank you very much!

The thing is I am trying to create a coloured facsimile of the Keen 6 manual in German for my dad. He asked me to do that.

You can take a look at it at:
http://ikaragua.de/images/ck6m.jpg

It won't be 100 % identical excluding the positioning and the fact that it's translated, since I didn't find a coloured front picture of Flect, for example, but I guess it does the job pretty well.
Keenfan
Vortininja

Post by Keenfan »

Nice project!
I'm sick of armani sunglases
kuliwil
Blue-tongued Yorp

Post by kuliwil »

Sounds a lovely project! :)
Can't you just crop out the text from the cover though? Or, actually, modify the original cover to put in the German text everywhere except for the name of the episode? From the looks of things you're keeping the names of all the monsters the same, but I don't know what kind of name-retention scheme you have.
Keeper
Vortininja

Post by Keeper »

I suspect that the idea behind this "font" was to imitate this title. Just like the opening sequence of Goodbye Galaxy and AAMB obviously imitates this :dopekeen

You are right, this isn't really a font - the letters were probably drawn separately.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

now that i'm looking at the cover art I'm noticing a lot of things. Like, in the background there's the BWB flying to fribbulux xax, but fribbulus xax seems to be orbitting another, much bigger planet. So is fribbulus xax a moon? Then to the left of the foreground there's keen fighting a bloog on the bloog space station, while in the foreground he's standing on the surface of fribbulus xax and there's a waterfall behind him. So many mixed settings in one image.
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Eros
Cybloog Slayer

Post by Eros »

VikingBoyBilly wrote:now that i'm looking at the cover art I'm noticing a lot of things. Like, in the background there's the BWB flying to fribbulux xax, but fribbulus xax seems to be orbitting another, much bigger planet. So is fribbulus xax a moon? Then to the left of the foreground there's keen fighting a bloog on the bloog space station, while in the foreground he's standing on the surface of fribbulus xax and there's a waterfall behind him. So many mixed settings in one image.
blooglab/waterfall: it's overlooking bloogwaters crossing
moon theory: the green jupiter is a star

hope that helps.
StupidBunny wrote:
kuliwil wrote:I wish that oa;fdjgnae;ogubneaogiearh;igbnerfgoajfsgoefnh
Granted. You have just had a severe stroke.
Ikaragua
Grunt

Post by Ikaragua »

Thank you all for your help!

In the end I really had to draw the remaining letters myself. With that, I have finished my project and the Commander Keen 6 manual facsimile in colour and German is completed.

Here is the box art with German lettering:
http://ikaragua.de/images/ck6m2.jpg
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

I was wondering what your project could be...

haha, cool, well done.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
kuliwil
Blue-tongued Yorp

Post by kuliwil »

Ikaragua, you do great work!