Netkeen Tournament #1 , 2011

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
Scarlet
Vorticon Elite

Post by Scarlet »

lemm wrote:What levels will be used?
I figured on Keen 5. I have not thought about which individual levels. :S
Got any suggestions on how to go about that?
Galaxieretter
Arachnut

Post by Galaxieretter »

Woah, it seems I have been absent too long.

If you didn't know, I host dedicated servers for Doom on Skulltag, including CKeen's amazing Doom II mod. I don't get as much traffic as I used to but it's still pretty busy, and there was a good few months there where I had constant traffic so I know it's pretty stable.

Now I'll be flat out honest here, I haven't been around these forums for like... the past 6 months and before that I was lurking bad. I know next to nothing about Net Keen but if there is some way to host dedicated servers for Net Keen, I'll gladly host 24/7.

If some sort of GUI browser akin to many source port server clients is made for Net Keen, that would be great.

If someone wants to PM me with details I'll set everything up or whatever. Or not. Just throwing that out there; I can host anytime.
"Check out the red marker... it smells like cherries."
shikadi
Vorticon Elite

Post by shikadi »

is it to late to join?

i think i can host, but it haven't played at all the last so much months.
nothing usefull here
Scarlet
Vorticon Elite

Post by Scarlet »

shikadi wrote:is it to late to join?

i think i can host, but it haven't played at all the last so much months.
You're in. I'll update the list on Monday.
Pellaeon
Grunt

Post by Pellaeon »

Greetings, everyone!

I'd like to use this last-minute chance to enter the tournament. I cannot host since I'm behind a router, but Hamachi (version 1.0.3.0) works perfectly, almost without any latency.

Good Luck, everyone! :)

EDIT:
BBalazs wrote:Just to help with planning: I will not be available starting with July 8th, ending with July 17th. Actually it would help to just calculate with an abscence from 7th til 18th. (an extra 2x1 days)
- But otherwise I should be available next week; I don't know how you set the dates, but can you set a couple of matches for me so that I can "make up with" the abscence coming afterwards?
Exactly the same in my case. I'll be away on a vacation. However, daytime and evening (up to 23:00 preferably, in GMT+1) is almost always OK for me, with the exception of Sundays up until 18:30 and Friday from 15:30 to 20:30.
NY00123
Vorticon Elite

Post by NY00123 »

Hey there!

After being a bit unsure, I've decided to join. It may help to note that I can host as of now.

See you in the tournament! :)
ZidaneA
Shikadi Master

Post by ZidaneA »

So I come back and there's an online tournament in Commander Keen.. Fucl yeah, I'm in! I just need to figure out how to use NetKeen.
Scarlet
Vorticon Elite

Post by Scarlet »

Okay, round one is going to be played in round robin format. Here are the groups.

Group 1
Scarlet
Ceilick
TerminILL
VikingBoyBilly
ALMN

Group 2
Lemm
Kuliwil
shikadi
Pellaeon
Snortimer

Group 3
GARGapplesauce
NY00123
ZidaneA
BBalazs
myself

Here's the format. Player A and player B play. They play three games against one another. So suppose player A wins 2-1. That score should be reported here.
So in other words, Player A-Player B, 2-1 (5-4, 5-2, 2-5)

Goodluck and have fun.
Last edited by Scarlet on Wed Jul 06, 2011 18:43, edited 1 time in total.
BBalazs
Grunt

Post by BBalazs »

To group 3: tomorrow, on Wednesday you will be able to catch me often during daytime and in the evening as well. My time zone is GMT+1, so adjust "daytime" and "evening" accordingly.

I will be available on the #pckf Hamachi server, and I should also be available on the pckf IRC channel.
GARGapplesauce
Applesauce in Chief

Post by GARGapplesauce »

TerminILL wrote:Just for those considering GARGas' idea, while it's nice in theory, lemm's solution will work out much better. Adding a third party for hosting increases potential lag, and this can be minimized by connecting to a machine that's designed for this kind of throughput such as yangserver.com. Plus, adding a third party makes it even harder to get all the necessary participants at once.
Erm, Scarlet and I tried yangserver and it was REALLY laggy.
Combine Garg and Apples in a bowl, simmer over medium heat for several years. Season with a pinch of regret.
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

I think we should have a consistent set of levels for the tournament or at least a level pool. I suggest:

K4: Pyramid of Peril, Bubble Dome, Madness Mountain, and Icing shelf.
K5: Hazardous, Robo Red Arena, and Tech Center.
K6: Bloog Dome, Rec Arena, Storage Bay 84, Trash Compactor, and Bips Ahoy.
KD: Bridge Battle, Swamp Romp, Melon Rind, and Mosquito Pit.
GARGapplesauce
Applesauce in Chief

Post by GARGapplesauce »

Ceilick wrote:I think we should have a consistent set of levels for the tournament or at least a level pool. I suggest:

K4: Pyramid of Peril, Bubble Dome, Madness Mountain, and Icing shelf.
K5: Hazardous, Robo Red Arena, and Tech Center.
K6: Bloog Dome, Rec Arena, Storage Bay 84, Trash Compactor, and Bips Ahoy.
KD: Bridge Battle, Swamp Romp, Melon Rind, and Mosquito Pit.
I agree with these choices... good levels.
Combine Garg and Apples in a bowl, simmer over medium heat for several years. Season with a pinch of regret.
lemm
Blorb

Post by lemm »

By the way: http://netkeen.nfshost.com has the latest version. It's recently been updated, too. Make sure you move/delete all your demos and your config.nk files (they will not work between releases).

Also, Scarlet, can you post the tournament scores in the first post and keep them updated? Like, a chart with player A, player B, Map, Score
NY00123
Vorticon Elite

Post by NY00123 »

A few questions about the format, at least for now:
1. Should I play against all members within the same group, one match for each?
2. Say we have a match, and after two games the result is 2-0 for someone. At this stage, it's known who's the winner. Should a third game still be played?

Have fun while Keen-matching!
NY
lemm
Blorb

Post by lemm »

You play a best of three series against everyone. Each match is to five games.

2. I would say play the 3 games anyway, for tiebreaking purposes, or perhaps if you beat someone 3-0 you can get an extra point?

Also, general stuff:

Before your match, play a few games to determine the best lag buffer setting.

RECORD DEMOS of all your games. I want to put it all on the youtubes.

If both players insist on using the same character, a team game can be enabled, which will recolour the sprites.