Netkeen Tournament #1 , 2011

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
lemm
Blorb

Post by lemm »

For those who can't host, you can also use ipxnet connect yangserver.com at the dos prompt. This is just a server out there on the internet that anyone can join. There might be others like it, too; you can try searching for dosbox ipx server.
TerminILL
Skypest

Post by TerminILL »

Just for those considering GARGas' idea, while it's nice in theory, lemm's solution will work out much better. Adding a third party for hosting increases potential lag, and this can be minimized by connecting to a machine that's designed for this kind of throughput such as yangserver.com. Plus, adding a third party makes it even harder to get all the necessary participants at once.
Shonikado wrote:Looking back on what we've done and wanting to change it is the first step in becoming a weakling that cannot do anything.
ALMN
Vortininja

Post by ALMN »

I can't host. But I can post sexy pictures
Scarlet
Vorticon Elite

Post by Scarlet »

BBalazs wrote:Unfortunately, I'm not too flexible when it comes to time, though - quite busy these days - therefore we'll have to fix the dates/times in advance.
That might be an issue. We'll try to work you in. The first part will involve some groups going at it round-robin style. Flexibility is key here, because we do not want to wait a week or two for a group to finish.

TerminILL wrote:Adding a third party for hosting increases potential lag, and this can be minimized by connecting to a machine that's designed for this kind of throughput such as yangserver.com. Plus, adding a third party makes it even harder to get all the necessary participants at once.
It really depends. Sometimes there is a lot of lag for one person no matter what. Sometimes there is very little lag for even four people.

Before matches start people will have to do a few trial matches (no matter who plays who), just to check for lag problems and such stuff. If there is no lag then yay.
BBalazs
Grunt

Post by BBalazs »

Getting to know the match time a couple of days in advance helps a lot. My time zone is GMT+1, and I'm available almost every evening. During daytime is ok sometimes too, but it is more rare. If you try to set the dates in advance, everything will be fine.
NY00123
Vorticon Elite

Post by NY00123 »

Hey there,

It's true that I'm unsure if I have the time to play. It may be better soon (in terms of free time) but it's a bit unclear at the moment, so for now I don't join.

Oh well, I also wanted to comment about this:
lemm wrote:For those who can't host, you can also use ipxnet connect yangserver.com at the dos prompt. This is just a server out there on the internet that anyone can join. There might be others like it, too; you can try searching for dosbox ipx server.
I've heard of it before (probably even from the host of yangserver.com); It takes advantage of some kind of a dedicated DOSBox IPX server, and indeed solves the problem of port forwarding.

A LITTLE WORD OF WARNING ABOUT IT: Remember that anyone can use this. So if for instance Scarlet and Ceilick would like to play against each other taking advantage of that, well, there may be more NETKEEN players using the dedicated IPX server in parallel, possibly resulting in the unexpected behavior of different players getting mixed in some NETKEEN game; Or at least, when NETKEEN is just started.

For some DOS applications, one kind of a solution that I've found out is assigning a different IPX port number for each set of players (not UDP!). Looks like NETKEEN has some "-port" argument which may help here, but I've got NO IDEA regarding what it really does, so you've been warned!

If NETKEEN's "-port" argument does indeed what I believe it does, then maybe, for each round, a set of players should get a known unique port, so the chances of collisions can be slim.
In that case, the organizers should remember that non-NETKEEN users may also use the server, so try thinking of unique port numbers!

Oh well, lets hope it has helped, or at least not harmed in any way.
kuliwil
Blue-tongued Yorp

Post by kuliwil »

For those of us out in the wildernes (IE not living in Europe or the US), will going to that server (which I assume is in a country nowhere near us) to verse each other (eg: AU vs AU or AU vs NZ) get a bit laggy?

Same goes for Garg's suggestion - would it be best if they are a local host?
"Hi, I'm Tom Sellick's moustache."
lemm
Blorb

Post by lemm »

BBalazs wrote:Getting to know the match time a couple of days in advance helps a lot. My time zone is GMT+1, and I'm available almost every evening. During daytime is ok sometimes too, but it is more rare. If you try to set the dates in advance, everything will be fine.

There doesn't have to be an absolute time for match, as long as the two players agree on a time (over the range of a week).
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

If anyone wants to use the hamachi network I set up, it's

group: #pckf
pass: keen

Any two people in there can have a network game. I don't have to be the one hosting it. You can see who's in there and chat, so you can delegate when to have your matches and who to have them with.

Granted, while in a hamachi network remember that it's a LAN simulator, so you have to set up your Netkeen connections as LAN games.
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Scarlet
Vorticon Elite

Post by Scarlet »

The tournament starts soon. Monday's the last day for signing up.
kuliwil
Blue-tongued Yorp

Post by kuliwil »

Scarlet wrote:The tournament starts soon. Monday's the last day for signing up.
PLEASE! There is more than one time zone in the world! (25 nautical, to be precise.) Explain what that means on GMT time so that those of us on the other side of the world can figure out what you mean!
"Hi, I'm Tom Sellick's moustache."
BBalazs
Grunt

Post by BBalazs »

Just to help with planning: I will not be available starting with July 8th, ending with July 17th. Actually it would help to just calculate with an abscence from 7th til 18th. (an extra 2x1 days)
- But otherwise I should be available next week; I don't know how you set the dates, but can you set a couple of matches for me so that I can "make up with" the abscence coming afterwards?
Snortimer
Vortininja

Post by Snortimer »

I'd like to sign up. Details: same as in the previous Netkeen tournament thread.

While I technically know how to host, I think I'd better not because I'll be playing on the Pandora, which tends to stutter a little, more so when hosting (on that note, levels without lots of moving platforms run better).

I don't seem to be on IRC all that often, so if you can't find me there, send me a PM through this forum.
Member since at least 1998 with... ah... some long absences. I was even a moderator at one point. I'll probably keep coming back here and there as long as this place still exists.
Scarlet
Vorticon Elite

Post by Scarlet »

BBalazs wrote:Just to help with planning: I will not be available starting with July 8th, ending with July 17th. Actually it would help to just calculate with an abscence from 7th til 18th. (an extra 2x1 days)
- But otherwise I should be available next week; I don't know how you set the dates, but can you set a couple of matches for me so that I can "make up with" the abscence coming afterwards?
The first phase is round robin. So I will not be telling people now you play so and so. :P
lemm
Blorb

Post by lemm »

What levels will be used?