Problem with impossible pogo trick...

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
Bubbatom
Vorticon Elite

Problem with impossible pogo trick...

Post by Bubbatom »

So I recently started Playing some of the keen 4-6 games on my new windows 7. And my problem is that pressing ctrl + alt + the direction I want to go results in the whole screen being flipped in the direction in which I have done the impossible Pogo trick. So is there any way to change the keys that flip the screen?
Keenfan
Vortininja

Post by Keenfan »

Yes, there is. I had this problem on my old Sony Vaio as well.
It should be a setting of your Intel graphics card. Go to your system configuration and select the intel graphics card. Somewhere there has to be an option to flip the screen. The default Setting is "Ctrl+Alt+Left" and "Ctrl+Alt+Right". Replace these keys. Done. :-)
I'm sick of armani sunglases
Bubbatom
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bubbatom »

Thanks for the help. All fixed :)
Pellaeon
Grunt

Post by Pellaeon »

It might be only my problem, but I think it's Windows 7 related also: The Right Alt (Alt Gr) key in Windows 7 works as if you'd simultaneously press ctrl and alt instead of pressing just an 'alt'. This might lead to a small pogo misbehaviour (pressing alt for the first time if you want to do only a small pogo jump will cause an even smaller one for the first time. If you also press a direction key (left or right) then Keen will automatically impossible pogo even though you didn't press the jump key. Everything goes fine with the left alt. And it's not only the problem of DOSBox - even the global keys of my media player called XMPlay interprets the right alt as "alt+ctrl+[key]"

Repeating the first sentence: It could only be my drivers, though. However, I wouldn't be surprised if Win7 causes all this mess - only by judging the amount of blue screens I get...
guynietoren
Vorticon Elite

Post by guynietoren »

The way to disable that feature is Windows Key + F12 from what I remember. It could be a different F key. But I had that issue playing Quake or Doom as well. It would flip the screen and mess up the game graphics, where I had to restart the game to fix it.
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

This shifted screen is the result of the graphics card for your particular computer. It works just as Keenfan said and the fix for it like he said is to change the keys that activate the shift. Another option could have been changing which keys you use to pogo and jump.
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
lemm
Blorb

Post by lemm »

Just another reason why S, D, and F is the superior buttons setup for Galaxy.