Keen's shirt colour does not Thai in with opposition

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
kuliwil
Blue-tongued Yorp

Keen's shirt colour does not Thai in with opposition

Post by kuliwil »

Why is Keen's shirt pink?

Is it for compatibility with CGA graphics, a way of dealing with the limited EGA palette or what?

PS: 4:25am subject line is win
"Hi, I'm Tom Sellick's moustache."
thehackercat
Yorp Doctor

Post by thehackercat »

Well, 6 of the colors were already used in Keen's sprites. And since colors 8-15 are pretty much lighter shades of colors 0-7 (except for 6 and 14), it would make sense to choose the last remaining color: 5.

In this picture, colors are numbered from left to right, starting with "0" in the top left corner, FYI.
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

It's supposed to be lighter purple. Keen's real-life model wore a purple shirt.
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

It's red in Keen GBC - they decided to make him more manly...
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
TerminILL
Skypest

Post by TerminILL »

But real men wear pink! :celtic
(TVTropes link not included for health and wellbeing of all viewers)
Shonikado wrote:Looking back on what we've done and wanting to change it is the first step in becoming a weakling that cannot do anything.
kuliwil
Blue-tongued Yorp

Post by kuliwil »

Grimson wrote:Keen's real-life model wore a purple shirt.
As in Tom Hall?

Thanks for the answers everyone :)

In the light of a more reasonable hour it's pretty flipping obvious what the probable reasoning was. (That's a critique of my question, not of all of your responses.) Esp. considering the background colours in conjunction with the limited palette.

EDIT: Oh, I remember why I asked this now. Is the CGA palette a customised palette or did it just happen to have Keen's shirt colour? Because yeah, his pretty damn iconic shirt works in both CGA and EGA versions.
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

As in Tom Hall?
No, the kid they IIRC used as a reference for Keen's postures. I read somewhere that they saw some kid in the street, wearing the football helmet, pogo stick and a purple shirt. I can't seem to find the source...
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

kuliwil wrote:EDIT: Oh, I remember why I asked this now. Is the CGA palette a customised palette or did it just happen to have Keen's shirt colour? Because yeah, his pretty damn iconic shirt works in both CGA and EGA versions.
There are two standardised CGA pallettes: Black/White/Cyan/Magenta and Black/White/Red/Green. CGA Keen uses the former. It is also possible with CGA to create your own pallette (by choosing four of a possible sixteen colours), however this uses up extra memory and I doubt Id wanted to waste any given that they were already trying to cram a high-spec game into an out-dated graphical environment...
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

Grimson wrote:No, the kid they IIRC used as a reference for Keen's postures. I read somewhere that they saw some kid in the street, wearing the football helmet, pogo stick and a purple shirt. I can't seem to find the source...
http://www.3drealms.com/fanstuff/keenstory/page2.html
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

StupidBunny wrote:
Grimson wrote:No, the kid they IIRC used as a reference for Keen's postures. I read somewhere that they saw some kid in the street, wearing the football helmet, pogo stick and a purple shirt. I can't seem to find the source...
http://www.3drealms.com/fanstuff/keenstory/page2.html
Lol, I should've known! :crazy
Galaxieretter
Arachnut

Post by Galaxieretter »

With that motion-capture technology.
:crazy :dead
"Check out the red marker... it smells like cherries."
jmfmagnum
Vortininja

Post by jmfmagnum »

that`s explain a lot....
kuliwil
Blue-tongued Yorp

Post by kuliwil »

Haha.

But yeah, I was talking to Tom Hall on Facebook once and he said that the character was based partially off him as a kid, labeling the Packer helmet and Converse sneakers as directly taken from his childhood.

The helmet through his team, obviously. I don't think he ran around with that on. Or maybe... :disguised
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

Somehow I doubt Tom Hall was ever in an american football team.
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

kuliwil wrote:The helmet through his team, obviously.
As a child he was known as the youngest-ever player in the history of the Packers. :P